Holes in the lines if we trade VL/Some guys I think we should take a flyer on

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
No pun intended, but if we trade Vinny and hope to leave Cooter as 3C our lines look something like this likely.

LW C RW

x Giroux Voracek
x Schenn Simmonds
Umberger Cooter Read
4th line will figure it self out

* Umberger will likely get a oppurtunity as top 6er and Read will get a shot a top 6 LW spot as well.

Anyway if these guys come cheap enough I like to us take a shot at them as the have proven they can play decently. In some order:

LW David Booth
RW Devin Setoguchi especially if he can play LW
RW Daniel Alfredson especially if he can play LW
LW TJ Galiardi as 3rd/4th line
Lw Dustin Penner
LW Danny Heatley

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I'd like to see something like this if we trade vinny :

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couts - Simmonds
Mueller - Laughton - Umberger
Raffl - PEB - Jones

Coburn - Streit
MacD - Schenn
Timonen - Grossman

Mason
Emery

LW David Booth - IDK - Maybe
RW Devin Setoguchi especially if he can play LW Sure
RW Daniel Alfredson especially if he can play LW Meh... don't think he's a fit
LW TJ Galiardi as 3rd/4th line Would be a nice fit
Lw Dustin Penner No Thanks
LW Danny Heatley No Thanks

I'd take a flyer on Mueller before all these guys, imo

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
Peter Mueller?

Either way we have nothing to lose with either of those guys though, Maybe Heatley if he's still a cancer but he's also a guy I could see getting his game back after playing 4th line minutes in Min. We see it all the time. x stars getting a resurgence later on in their careers.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Peter Mueller?

Either way we have nothing to lose with either of those guys though, Maybe Heatley if he's still a cancer but he's also a guy I could see getting his game back after playing 4th line minutes in Min. We see it all the time. x stars getting a resurgence later on in their careers.

Yup, there are rumors that the flyers are on his list of 3 teams he is considering

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Peter Mueller?

I would give him a shot. Also, David Moss

Yup, there are rumors that the flyers are on his list of 3 teams he is considering

Where did you hear this from? Interested to see because he is an intriguing name. He should not have been out of the NHL last year.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
It makes the most sense to hang onto Vinny if the plan is to move Schenn to G's wing. Even if we move Couts up to 2C, there are people that are penciling Laughton in for 3C duties too quickly, guy hasn't played in the NHL at all. That would be pretty damn risky having a rookie center the 3rd line on top of however our 4th line ends up.

Besides, he has no value and if we do get rid of him it looks like it will either cost us picks or cap space. This is probably the lowest his value will be, with so many years left and after a season where he came back too fast from his back injury. I doubt he will do as badly in another season, even if he does deal with his normal slew of injuries (~20 games with nothing as serious as his back fracture).

Maybe if we hang onto him until next summer at least, it helps solidify the top 6, gives Couts another year to develop some kind of offensive game and gives us a 4th line that can share some of the defensive load with Couts' line to give him space to develop that offensive game. Plus if we just set it from the start that Vinny is 2C and Schenn is G's LW and actually stick to it, I'm sure the certainty would help both Vinny and Schenn.

I guess people think I defend Vinny a lot, but his value is so low and with our top 6 looking so thin after the Hartnell trade, I'd think the best option is to keep him for a year unless they plan on making a move on another forward. Besides, it's not hard to imagine him having a better year being prepared to play in Berube's system and hopefully having fully recovered from his back injury by now. That would only raise his value when Couts is ready to be 2C.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
While it would be optimal to move Lecavalier for a) cap space and b) a modest return (I am not an advocate for dealing him at a loss), I'm not opposed to starting the season with him. If so, I'd advocate trying to get the max out of him, as so:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Akeson - Lecavalier - Voracek
Umberger - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Laughton* - PEB/Rinaldo/other
* Assume Laughton wins the 4C job in camp; otherwise, roll with either Raffl or Umberger as 4C and fill 3LW with one of the remaining options.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
1. Mueller
2. Winnick
3. Penner

in that order.

definitely no to Booth and Heatley. they're awful.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'll take Winnik over Mueller. Winnik is a hard worker too, he will chip in offensively some and will add another Pker to the team. He would be a player who could play a 10 min a night 4th line too. Help bring down the tougher assignments for our top 3 lines.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
While it would be optimal to move Lecavalier for a) cap space and b) a modest return (I am not an advocate for dealing him at a loss), I'm not opposed to starting the season with him. If so, I'd advocate trying to get the max out of him, as so:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Akeson - Lecavalier - Voracek
Umberger - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Laughton* - PEB/Rinaldo/other
* Assume Laughton wins the 4C job in camp; otherwise, roll with either Raffl or Umberger as 4C and fill 3LW with one of the remaining options.

I see zero problem going with this roster (not saying it's optimal, just saying it works as a realistic option) if we don't move Lecavalier. That roster is as fine as we can expect it's going to be so I don't see where free agent signings are necessary right now.

If Lecavalier does move the question becomes whether Couturier actually gets offensive opportunity as a true conventional top six player or if we get a center to play in our top six/nine.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I'll take Winnik over Mueller. Winnik is a hard worker too, he will chip in offensively some and will add another Pker to the team. He would be a player who could play a 10 min a night 4th line too. Help bring down the tougher assignments for our top 3 lines.

i'd be fine with either. but i like Mueller a little more because of the potential offensive upside. Winnick is a bottom 6 guy but Mueller could play some top 6 minutes if need be.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
One thing we'd be missing without Hall is someone who can take important defensive faceoffs, especially on the PK. We may be the worst faceoff team in the league with that lineup, since Giroux is the only guy who's proven he can crack 50%.

As much as I hate him, I hope they sign Steve Ott. He can be slotted into the 4th line slot, but can move into a top 9 wing position to inject physicality when needed (our lineup looks unusually soft on the wings). He'll also be valuable on the PK. He probably wants more money than we can give, but the long wait for him to sign probably means he has to drop his asking price.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad