Post-Game Talk: Hold your heads high boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I don't think that #5 or #6 D move the needle that much.

That #5 or #6D pretty much shut down Ovechkin in the first two games completely. He would have destroyed Johansson in front of the net preventing the series GWG, unlike Marincin.
Polak was awesome late in the season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That #5 or #6D pretty much shut down Ovechkin in the first two games completely. He would have destroyed Johansson in front of the net preventing the series GWG, unlike Marincin.

Yes, but he was still prone to bone headed decisions. You think that over the course of the series, he wouldn't get exposed by Ovie eventually? Come on now.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We needed another line to get some O zone time other than the Matthews line. Boyle's line had some good moments but far too inconsistent and not skilled enough. Kadri line was good in a shutdown role but didn't generate much. Let's not discuss the Bozak line, the train wreck that it was. The Kuznetsov and Eller lines kept us hemmed in far too often.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Wow, what a team and what a season. Had a lot of fun this year watching this organization re-invent itself. Looking forward to next year already!

X - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Martin - Gauthier - Hyman

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott/Hunwick - Carrick/Polak

Andersen
X

X's are the holes we need to fill for next season using Bozak as the expendable piece. Honestly we don't need much tweaking but it's obvious we need that top pair RD and some defensive depth as well. Lou will be on it.

Thing is, if we get a good LW and a partner for Rielly, we have a much beter team next year. Given than Bozie could get us a good return if we choose to trade him , things are looking good!

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Polak would not have made the forwards better in the defensive zone. The forwards did very little to stop the Caps' cycle game and were guilty of puck watching more often than not. It seemed like most of our wingers lost nearly every board battle against their defensemen as well

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
2qb9htl.jpg

member 262271

What a series and what a year. Never would've imagined this coming into the season, very proud of this team. That said, it will be nice to have a break from hockey related stress. :laugh:

Will be interesting to see what changes (if any) we make, hoping some of our players in Europe can come over and make an impact.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good series by the Leafs exceeding all expectations in a David vs Goliath battle that was closer and more competitive them most gave them credit for going in.

Leafs should be proud of their compete level against a top Cup contender.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Just remember one thing, Folks...
This is the only the beginning... The next 100 years of Leafs history has just begun...

The "Leafs" are rising off the ground.., back onto the tree.. :nod:

hqdefault.jpg

Washington Capitals vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Highlights - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Frederik Andersen - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Auston Matthews - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Morgan Rielly - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Nazem Kadri - April 23, 2017

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Great series boys, we got beaten by a better team. Simple as that. We played amazing though, and really showed that the difference between us and the best teams in the league is marginal at best. I'm sure someone already posted this, but it's worth another go for people who care about advanced stats:

CF% - 49.58
xGF% - 52.46
SCF% - 52.36
PDO - 100.41

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
CF% - 59.35
xGF% - 60.57

They had no answer for this line. They were arguably the second best line in the entire playoffs after the Arvidsson-Johansen-Forsberg line, and were right there with Malkin-Kessel-Rust.

Also, Gardiner was fantastic, Rielly was good, Hunwick was good for him (in a role that he shouldn't have needed to play), and Zaitsev was brutal - played way over his head.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Time for my rant after a night of reflection.

1. This team absolutely exceeded pre-season expectations, so it was been an absolute success of a season. Over the course of 82 games, I can only think of a handful of guys on our team who didnt play to expectations, but on the whole our team was awesome!

2. I absolutely loved how hard our guys battled and worked - one thing Mirtle and Seigal mentioned on the Leafs Report which I realized is 100% true is that Babcock has gotten everyone on the team to work their butts off. This bodes well for the future.

3. On to the game - the game winning goal resulted directly from Brian Boyle taking the wrong guy off the draw. Kuznetsov wins the draw back to the point, and Matt Martin does the right thing going to the point. Kuznetsov and Justin Williams are close together and Williams stays on the half-wall, while Kuznetsov cuts to the middle. Boyle and Zaitsev are covering. As the man farther up, Boyle should have gone up to Williams, but instead follows Kuznetsov. You see Zaitsev get surprised by this and he kind of has to skate around Boyle and try and get up there. By that time the puck is one net. Boyle (off an icing) made a big positional error. Tough one.

4. That being said, Boyle's line on the whole was much better than the Bozak line, which basically got pinned in their own end every shift. Last night I realized maybe for the first time that Bozak is not the possession anchor on that line... JVR is. Most of the problem is that JVR and Mitch were just looking to counterattack, even on the end of the shift, and several occasions, late shift turnovers just resulted in more D-zone time. Bozak is the one skating hard, trying to get pucks out.

5. Based on point 4, even though JVR is a much better scorer, I am more open to keeping Bozak because I believe his faceoff ability, skating ability, and foechecking ability have value moving forward. I also consider the fact that he is more likely to sign a reasonable extension than JVR is as a selling point of keeping him

6. Hunlak was great down the strech for us. I dont think we can afford to bring both back, especially with Carrick / Marincin / Marchenko all under contract, but I would be open to one returning. Polak's size and strength is desirable, but Hunwick at his best handles the puck a lot better. I would say it depends on the UFA market

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Upset that it's over, but that was a good season overall. Not many people gave us a chance to make the playoffs and when we did we were supposed to get 'steamrolled' by the Caps.

Can't wait for next year, a few upgrades on D and we should be a force next year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
hey all, I had a question, was zaitsev playing with a concussion?

cause this tweet makes it sound like he was which is scary

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
hey all, I had a question, was zaitsev playing with a concussion?

cause this tweet makes it sound like he was which is scary

He had one earlier. It's against the rules to play a guy with a concussion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not turning this into a national anthem singer debate. This guy is alright but the 16 year old girl has some vocals.

They are both good.
I've warmed up to Martina, thought she was a little over the top at first but she's settled in. I do like the idea of one singer and watching her grow with the Team, hopefully they don't replace her next year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Just remember one thing, Folks...
This is the only the beginning... The next 100 years of Leafs history has just begun...

The "Leafs" are rising off the ground.., back onto the tree.. :nod:

hqdefault.jpg

Washington Capitals vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Highlights - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Frederik Andersen - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Auston Matthews - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Morgan Rielly - April 23, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Nazem Kadri - April 23, 2017

post series availability for interviews pretty much shows (IMO) the leadership group for next year

Matthews (C)
Rielly (A)
Kadri (A)
Andy (leader without letter - backbone of the team)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once again this series showed that "defense wins" in the playoffs and Holtby and the Caps held the Leafs to just 1 goal in pivotal games #5 and #6.

Only Awesome Auston was able to score in the final 2 games and Leafs offense dried up and it was game over.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Once again this series showed that "defense wins" in the playoffs and Holtby and the Caps held the Leafs to just 1 goal in pivotal games #5 and #6.

Only Awesome Auston was able to score in the final 2 games and Leafs offense dried up and it was game over.

It dried up, plus we stopped getting bounces (the bounce of the glass notwithstanding).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It dried up, plus we stopped getting bounces (the bounce of the glass notwithstanding).

Early one Leafs did get some bounces going their way no doubt as strange goals were going past Holby that tipped off players or deflected right to open Leafs.

Without the help of the glass yesterday it would have been a shutout for Caps in the deciding game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad