Post-Game Talk: Hold your heads high boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Can I just say how embarrassingly bad the ice was at the ACC during these playoffs especially considering that it wasn't a warm April? If we're supposed to be a fast and skilled team down the road then bad ice will cost us.

A basketball team in the same building is no excuse, there are basketball teams playing in multiple cities in the league with less ice issues.

How many of those arena's are as busy as the ACC? I remember hearing that the ACC is one of the busier arena's in the world.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Can I just say how embarrassingly bad the ice was at the ACC during these playoffs especially considering that it wasn't a warm April? If we're supposed to be a fast and skilled team down the road then bad ice will cost us.

A basketball team in the same building is no excuse, there are basketball teams playing in multiple cities in the league with less ice issues.

The ice is bad in just about every rink in the league .. It's not just the ACC

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The ice is bad in just about every rink in the league .. It's not just the ACC

No excuse for me either.

This needs to be improved, and it definitely, definitely cost us.

Many times over the course of the season actually. It hampers the edge we are trying to create over teams!!

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
That #5 or #6D pretty much shut down Ovechkin in the first two games completely. He would have destroyed Johansson in front of the net preventing the series GWG, unlike Marincin.
Polak was awesome late in the season.

Y'all already know that. He treally was awwsome for us all season and made our PK better too. He blocked that thang, twerked that thang and still got some.
We missed Polak's tough, solid rock hard game in the playoffs. But, I'm very happy how our d played without him. It's part of the game these injuries. Tampa and many great teams showed some fantastic coaching and team game this season without their best players. It's just humans playing the real game. The realest I mean.

Interested to see if Lou wants Polak back, or does he go with some speedier gonzalez like that.

scarlet512

Hong Kong Leaf Fan
May 1, 2010
Hong Kong
See, I almost always want the team that eliminated my team to go on and win the whole thing. Because I think it looks better for the Leafs to lose a close series to the eventual Stanley Cup champs than to lose to a team that Penguins sweep four straight. Probably just me though.

Im with you on this!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I'm not convinced he did. Maybe later night, but on the whole it seemed like the Leafs kept pace in scoring chances.

Don't forget Andy let in some weak goals at key times. OT in game 1, late in game 4, GTG last night. He made big saves, but he wasn't a wall.

Instead of pinning it on Andersen, maybe more goal support should be focused on? I think in these prolonged games, any goal that goes in looks shaky. Mind you, the guy on the other end of the ice was a Vezina finalist and even he had his shaky moments. like how about in game 4 where Wilson saves the puck from behind him and goes the other way to score off an odd-man rush? Or the harmless looking shot from early in the elimination game that just goes through him? And all of this doesn't even consider how well he was moving the puck these playoffs...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Okay i just came back from the game (go figure my first loss at the ACC (sigh) - at least I bring the Marlies luck! :wg:) okay. it always amazes me (and i know this now) how different hockey is when you see it live vs. when you watch it on television. and Im always nervous at first that I won't be able to catch everything, but then you fall into the pace of the game and everything is okay.

I had amazing seats (section 322 nearly dead centre) so I got to see everything really clearly. The Boys were really good in the first period. Hyman and Kappy are FAST. boy, are they ever. Nylander is as smooth as silk when he skates through the neutral zone, and Matty is a beasty boy. It is going to be amazing when he gets stronger. Freddy was AMAZING for the first two periods, tonnes of FREDDY! FREDDY! chants. (so the two goals he let in sucked because it as just pfftt, and my section was like how?)

I do think the ACC gets a lot of grief for being "quiet". it wasn't quiet at all, it was so booming. during some of the lull, it was still really loud because everyone is chatting about the game. like we'd be like MARNER! GET IT OUT! or Hard around the glass! (Jake + Mitch was driving my section bananas :laugh: ).

I said this out loud. NHL Summer was born for Mitchell Marner. he looked... so "lost"

but it was an amazing game. I really wish they had won (i wanted to write that on my ticket stub. When the goal went in everyone started chanted Go leafs go! It's Okay! and everything like that.

someone said behind me, - while I wanted them to win, I'm okay that they lost because it keeps everyone grounded. (which is true. this season ended basically how it began. we know how to play for the "extra point" (or win in OT), but we don't know how to really close out/finish it yet. had we gone on a miracle run i think it really would have made a LOT of stuff complicated where as now we can enjoy the great story/season, and know there's a lot of work to do.

I love my Leafs. i really do.
I'll write up the season retrospective tomorrow sometime :)

Yes the perspective is much different live than on tv, it's a much different appreciation.

You were in the section next to me(323), were you sitting near the guy that got tossed before the 3rd started?? We were wondering what happened there.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I've always felt the Leafs have kind of a kinship with the Rangers.

Toronto and NY are both by far the most dominant cities in their respective countries and the hockey teams both print money. Many Canadians hold a bitterness against the city of Toronto because of that money, power and media attention, and the same can be said about Americans and NYC. The league is a better place with a competitive Rangers team.

The Rangers are definitely my favorite team in the Metro and I hope they butcher Ottawa.

Yup, big market, scrutiny, lotta haters, knowledgable and dedicated fans, original 6, emphasis on tradition (no ice girls or tee shirt bazookas) and continuity of oral history. Hard to hate on the Leafs unless you become the new Penguins in the next 5 years. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Instead of pinning it on Andersen, maybe more goal support should be focused on? I think in these prolonged games, any goal that goes in looks shaky. Mind you, the guy on the other end of the ice was a Vezina finalist and even he had his shaky moments. like how about in game 4 where Wilson saves the puck from behind him and goes the other way to score off an odd-man rush? Or the harmless looking shot from early in the elimination game that just goes through him? And all of this doesn't even consider how well he was moving the puck these playoffs...
It's not a matter of pinning it on Andy, it's dispelling the myth that this team was heavily outplayed and kept in the series by their goalie.

Holtby also allowed some bad goals and didn't look great especially early on.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

That's a change in the previously stated plan.

sorry chris J

but i don't believe babs said it would be next season for WN

i believe before, the question was "will nylander play C" answer "yes" no more no less, no timeline though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad