HOH Top 60 Wingers of All Time

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Gartner, Martin and Anderson are going to depend on how many names we allow in the last round.

Mogilny will get a shot.

Shutt, Kerr and Leach will not.

Leach wasn't named on a single list.[/
QUOTE]

Might as well release the master list and individual lists now if they are not being kept confidential.

What have I said about anybody's list? That they didn't name Leach? Not much of a revelation.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Lists

What have I said about anybody's list? That they didn't name Leach? Not much of a revelation.

Never posted that you said anything about anyone's list. But it is rather obvious from the quoted, that you are using information from the other lists that the vast majority of participants do not have access to.

There were similar "leaks" about players - Joliat, Round 2 Vote 2.

So either stop the "leaks" - unrealistic since they shouldn't happen in the first place, or simply make the information available to all.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Never posted that you said anything about anyone's list. But it is rather obvious from the quoted, that you are using information from the other lists that the vast majority of participants do not have access to.

There were similar "leaks" about players - Joliat, Round 2 Vote 2.

So either stop the "leaks" - unrealistic since they shouldn't happen in the first place, or simply make the information available to all.

If you're talking about me, when I said Joliat would appear within the next few rounds, I said it because I think he obviously will. I don't have access to the master list - only 70s and HT18 do.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
So....

If you're talking about me, when I said Joliat would appear within the next few rounds, I said it because I think he obviously will. I don't have access to the master list - only 70s and HT18 do.

Issue is whether the comment should have been made in the context that it was. Regardless making the lists available would eliminate such situations since it would be obvious to all instead of a select few.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Issue is whether the comment should have been made in the context that it was. Regardless making the lists available would eliminate such situations since it would be obvious to all instead of a select few.

In an ideal world, none of the voters would have access to the master list. Doing so can easily bias one's votes, intentionally or not.

But someone needs to admin the project. Still, we try to keep it to as few as possible. Even last year, only tarheel and I had access to the master list, and I would PM HT18 a list of the guys who were to become available next if he was to start the new round.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Neely's one of those players who you think has to be on your list - until you keep finding better players

But that's understandable. Neely charmed both people growing up at the time, as well as old curmudgeons who pined for the good ol' days. He has the (impure) 50 in 50 and the injuries for what-if romantics.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Lindros btw is a very similar case of uniting young and old alike. Even better premise, even more tragic career.
Altho Lindros doesn't have the sexy numbers and his one award came from a shortened season. For some reason, shortened seasons have never felt right for me.

PS. Can't believe there have been 2 shortened and one totally cancelled seasons I have paid operators in advance for NHL games. D: 95 especially was really expensive...

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Mikhailov and Krutov should be there.

Oh, Mikhailov will, roughly around 20th. A shame that he'll be a lil' too far from Kharlamov for my liking, but it appears the majority aren't quite on the same page.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
it's not that far-fetched. Based purely on prime regular season point production, is he even in the top-100 wingers of all-time? I realize he makes up huge ground as a playoff scorer and as a power forward, but how much he makes up is the million dollar question.

Except scouts actively search for the next Cam Neely when judging a winger.not anyone else.

So why is he so low on this board? Probably the same reason people kept claiming Crosby is the greatest. Lack of knowledge.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
So why is he so low on this board? Probably the same reason people kept claiming Crosby is the greatest. Lack of knowledge.

How many of the active participants (voters) in this project (with its low ranking of Neely) have actually claimed Crosby is the greatest?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I wonder how many currently living hockey fans have Bill Cook and Charlie Conacher in their top-15 wingers, but "lack knowledge" of Cam Neely.

That's some specialized interest there.

Edit: I'm guessing Stephen Harper, and one guy who went into hiding after Nagasaki.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I wonder how many currently living hockey fans have Bill Cook and Charlie Conacher in their top-15 wingers, but "lack knowledge" of Cam Neely.

Only those clueless folks over at HF History...

BTW, I'm not sure at all the people here who have Neely rather low are mostly the same who have Crosby very high.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
What the bloody hell, the list is at 13 and neither Kurri or (especially) Selänne are there. I think I just lost a bit of respect for this project...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What the bloody hell, the list is at 13 and neither Kurri or (especially) Selänne are there. I think I just lost a bit of respect for this project...

Other than Place of Birth, what arguments do you have to place him over, say, Kharlamov, Geoffrion, Conacher, Lindsay or AO ?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Which guys would you replace then?

Selanne should (and as long as I understand he has) enter the discussion right about now. Maybe even last round but he shouldn't place above any of those guys. This is coming from a guy who is probably the biggest Selanne fan in the forums.

BTW, I really like that you guys had Ovechkin at 9th, clearly ahead of Kharlamov. I had Bossy and Ovechkin neck and neck at my stab for this list. Ovechkin marginally ahead.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Which guys would you replace then?

Selanne should (and as long as I understand he has) enter the discussion right about now. Maybe even last round but he shouldn't place above any of those guys. This is coming from a guy who is probably the biggest Selanne fan in the forums.

BTW, I really like that you guys had Ovechkin at 9th, clearly ahead of Kharlamov. I had Bossy and Ovechkin neck and neck at my stab for this list. Ovechkin marginally ahead.

Entered last round, didn't make it (was not particularily close) and is still up for discussion with a very decent chance to make it, anywhere from 14 to 18.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Entered last round, didn't make it (was not particularily close) and is still up for discussion with a very decent chance to make it, anywhere from 14 to 18.

Yeah, I've been following this voting round closely. Mainly due to the fact that Selanne is being discussed right now. I would guess he makes the cut now and for what it seems, a lot of guys involved are seriously considering him as 2nd-4th best guy on that round.

I actually thought you guys would be more harsh on him than you have been. He absolutely does not belong in that list earlier. But I would not have been surprised to see a lot of guys placing him around Kurri and Hull. Seems like the consensus is Selanne > Kurri & Hull. Which is something a sing off on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad