HOH Top 60 Defensemen of All Time

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As someone who's watched them both in their prime I'd say it's more about preference of playing style than it is who's better. Suter is Lidstrom-lite, Weber is Pronger-lite.
Except Suter has Matt Carle's shot. He has never hit double-digit goals in a season. Lidstrom was an impact player offensively and defensively, so the comparison doesn't make sense. Suter is not an impact player.

He eats minutes. That's what he does. He does not make an impact in those minutes, but he won't hurt you when he's on the ice. He's Ryan McDonagh with more consistency.

Suter is so insanely overrated, and I've never figured out how. He's a good defender, but certainly not the best in the league or close to it. He's a decent puck distributer but not an elite one. He has no shot to speak of. He's a "do no harm" defenseman, but I think if he's your number 1, you better have a lot of talent around him because he's not good enough to carry the load.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Except Suter has Matt Carle's shot. He has never hit double-digit goals in a season. Lidstrom was an impact player offensively and defensively, so the comparison doesn't make sense. Suter is not an impact player.

He eats minutes. That's what he does. He does not make an impact in those minutes, but he won't hurt you when he's on the ice. He's Ryan McDonagh with more consistency.

Suter is so insanely overrated, and I've never figured out how. He's a good defender, but certainly not the best in the league or close to it. He's a decent puck distributer but not an elite one. He has no shot to speak of. He's a "do no harm" defenseman, but I think if he's your number 1, you better have a lot of talent around him because he's not good enough to carry the load.

I tend to agree with this. Suter eats up #1D capspace too but he'll take you nowhere. To be fair ,Weber didn't take his teams very far neither, but I'd still take him over Suter in a heartbeat.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Suter always struck me as a better Seidenberg.

Lock down defender that can throw some hits, add some points but is the perfect 1B to their Norris caliber D partner

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i would totally take suter over weber, today, the omg norris years after they left nashville, or when they were together. but i would take neither on a max contract to be my franchise player.

and no, neither is currently my hall of fame, nor likely to be when all is said and done.

i think in the right situation, on a team with maybe an alpha dog up front ahead of him and maybe a star goalie behind him, suter could have had a really special career as an all-world #1 tilted to the defensive side of things who could carry an offensive 1b. but he's not so bourquishly good enough that he can be the hatcher and the zubov all in one guy, which is the situation he put himself in in minnesota.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad