HOH Top 100- First Round of Voting

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Based on the discussion, the consensus seems to be that there should be no restrictions on eligibility for the list - any player, regardless of league or era, can be picked.

Please submit a list of the top 120 players in hockey history, ranked in order, to [hohtop100 at yahoo.com]. These lists will be aggregated so that we'll have a tentative top 100 list to work with. Voting will run from Monday February 4 to Monday February 11 (possibly getting extended if there's sufficient demand). All players should be ranked from 1st to 120th.

If possible, please submit your list in Microsoft Excel format with names written in first/last format in the most well-known form (ie "Bobby Orr" as opposed to "Orr, Bobby" or "Robert Orr" or "Bobby G. Orr"). This isn't a mandatory requirement, but it will help speed up the vote-counting process.

Anybody is welcome to participate. However, all lists will be screened by knowledgeable posters (excluding myself and FF to ensure fairness) to make sure that there aren't any lists excluding any eras.

Last edited:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Based on the discussion, the consensus seems to be that there should be no restrictions on eligibility for the list - any player, regardless of league or era, can be picked.

Please submit a list of the top 120 players in hockey history, in order to [hohtop100 at yahoo.com]. These lists will be aggregated so that we'll have a tentative top 100 list to work with. Voting will run from Monday February 4 to Monday February 11 (possibly getting extended if there's sufficient demand). All players should be ranked from 1st to 120th.

If possible, please submit your list in Microsoft Excel format with names written in first/last format in the most well-known form (ie "Bobby Orr" as opposed to "Orr, Bobby" or "Robert Orr" or "Bobby G. Orr"). This isn't a mandatory requirement, but it will help speed up the vote-counting process.

Anybody is welcome to participate. However, all lists will be screened by knowledgeable posters (excluding myself and FF to ensure fairness) to make sure that there aren't any lists excluding any eras.
Excellent. So the tretiaks, Kharlamov's and Fetisov's will be up:)

Not to mention the Lalonde's, Cyclone tailor's, etc

I have my top 50 done already. 70 to go. Gets tougher as you go.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Nobody ever responded in the other thread ... there are too many clumps of players I rank as equals ... can we submit ties?

ie: 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8, 10, 10, 10, 12

If I have to split the groups, the results will be points being assigned pretty much randomly.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Nobody ever responded in the other thread ... there are too many clumps of players I rank as equals ... can we submit ties?

If I have to split the groups, the results will be points being assigned pretty much randomly.

They are giving points based specifically on position. A #1 vote is worth 120 points, and a # 2 vote is worth 119 points, etc

You will need to pick equals and decide on an order:(

Sucks I know, but the point system pretty much demands it, or numbers will be messed up

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
They are giving points based specifically on position. A #1 vote is worth 120 points, and a # 2 vote is worth 119 points, etc

You will need to pick equals and decide on an order:(

Sucks I know, but the point system pretty much demands it, or numbers will be messed up
5, 5, 5 and 4, 5, 6 = the exact same total.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
and the last 70 were very muddled.
Exactly my point. If another voter has a clear reason to list player A 81 and player B 82, then my flipping a coin and rating B81 and A82 when I think they're equals will negate the other guy's certain, deliberate vote.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone else feel like flooding this poll with a bunch of garbage players?

Well... your list will just won't be considered.
I mean, if you're ready to waste your time at entering 120 first names in column A and 120 last names in column B, you shouldn't get a warrant of arrest for this, but in the end, if you feel that you accomplished something by doing this... well, find something else to do. Fast.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Ties are permissible. For example, if you rank 2 players as tied at 1st then the total point for 1st (120) and 2nd (119) will be added and the sum divided by two. Both players in this instance would be awarded 119.5 points.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Are goalies included? That makes it infinitely more difficult...I think there's going to be some wildly different rankings for goaltenders.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Are goalies included? That makes it infinitely more difficult...I think there's going to be some wildly different rankings for goaltenders.

Yes. All players, all leagues and era's.

And for the record, I too had tons of trouble with goaltenders rankings. Its harder to place them accurately on a list dominated by skaters.

I made a top 20 list of goaltenders, forwards, and Defense first to help myself out, which is why the top 50 were easy for me, although only 8 goaltenders made top 50

Personally, The goaltenders list will probably be the most interesting to see.

Once the first round is done, can we begin sharing lists and discussing?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Once the first round is done, can we begin sharing lists and discussing?

After the first round I'll be posting a list of players for discussion on the first 5/10 spots prior to voting. I'd prefer nobody post their own list or even rank the posted players simply to avoid any of the previously mentioned concerns with posting public round 1 lists. I do plan on posting each participants Top 100 list once the process is done, barring anyone having concerns with it being publicized.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Is there a deadline on this? I have so much going on but I absolutely have to take part in this, and want to get a list in.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Is there a deadline on this? I have so much going on but I absolutely have to take part in this, and want to get a list in.

Its in the Original post

Voting will run from Monday February 4 to Monday February 11 (possibly getting extended if there's sufficient demand). All players should be ranked from 1st to 120th.

Hurry up seventies:P
It wouldn't be a list without your imput:)

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I mentioned this in another post but there were more important things going on.

Once this is all done would anyone mind if I took it on as a project to do write ups on the players like THN does when they release books and such. Sort of an explanation/ bio for our top 100? After March 8 I have nothing but time on my hands and would love to do something like this.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I mentioned this in another post but there were more important things going on.

Once this is all done would anyone mind if I took it on as a project to do write ups on the players like THN does when they release books and such. Sort of an explanation/ bio for our top 100? After March 8 I have nothing but time on my hands and would love to do something like this.

That would be tremendous. A stickied thread with individual info on the top 100 greatest players ever would just be an incredible source of information for any people wanting to learn about the history of the game.

BTW I've stated maybe a year ago that I'd like to organize a HFboards Hockey Hall of Fame a little in the vein of the WWHOF. Does this top-100 prevent such a proposal or would people still be willing to participate. It's a long term project thought, I would/could not work on before the summer.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I submitted my list tonight. After doing this, you gain a whole new respect for the people on THN's Top 100 list, and others who have done credible lists.

Weztex, the idea of a true History of Hockey HOF is of interest to me, but if you think this took a while to finalize, that would be an extensive amount of work.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I submitted my list tonight. After doing this, you gain a whole new respect for the people on THN's Top 100 list, and others who have done credible lists.

Weztex, the idea of a true History of Hockey HOF is of interest to me, but if you think this took a while to finalize, that would be an extensive amount of work.

That's a severe understatement. I was an organizer for a similar project on the largest Detroit Tigers forum and it took roughly 6 months just to get all the framework set up and another 6 months doing all the debating, voting, research, etc. Doing it right is a tremendous commitment and when it was finally completed late last year it was awesome.

That said, I'd love to get in on the organizational aspects of that if we did it. I think it's probably best to wait until the Top 100 project is completed and give that time to sink in and settle down. I'm sure this will occupy us until spring with the process and the discussion and reflection in the aftermath. I've got a note to myself to look into the possibility of this in the offseason when we won't be as busy with playoffs (or school).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
That's a severe understatement. I was an organizer for a similar project on the largest Detroit Tigers forum and it took roughly 6 months just to get all the framework set up and another 6 months doing all the debating, voting, research, etc. Doing it right is a tremendous commitment and when it was finally completed late last year it was awesome.

That said, I'd love to get in on the organizational aspects of that if we did it. I think it's probably best to wait until the Top 100 project is completed and give that time to sink in and settle down. I'm sure this will occupy us until spring with the process and the discussion and reflection in the aftermath. I've got a note to myself to look into the possibility of this in the offseason when we won't be as busy with playoffs (or school).
Whoanow ... one huge, time-consuming e-project at a time folks.

My list is stalled out around 50, staring down a mound of 30 players who all look the same to me. I'll make another big push this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad