HOH Book Feature (presented in association with the Society for International Hockey Research)

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
I'm back with another hockey book column @SIHR. This one went live on Jan. 13, 2021, and it's likely a book that hasn't hit your radar.

hhh_jan_13_2020_Courtney_Szto.jpg

It's titled Changing on the Fly: Hockey through the Voices of South Asian Canadians and written by Courtney Szto. Here's the piece:

Szto’s thesis looks at hockey through South Asian Canadians

Reactions: tarheelhockey

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
In my latest Society for International Hockey Research book column, I talk with Jeff W. Bens about his new novel, The Mighty Oak. There's a reason I compare it to Peter Gent's North Dallas Forty -- it's that good, and like that classic, it's about far more than the sport. (An aside, I once screwed up a print run of North Dallas Forty, pages in the wrong place, and got lambasted by the late Mr. Gent.) Highest recommendation.

Novel The Mighty Oak grounded in minor-league tough guy reality

2mins_feb_10_2021_Mighty_Oak_cover.jpg

Reactions: Bondurant

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This coming Saturday, the Annual General Meeting of the Society for International Hockey Research will be held. Covid-19 restrictions still don't allow an in-person meeting, so the AGM will be a virtual meeting again. Five presentations are scheduled:

John Lokka: Contrasting Amateur Ideals of Early Hockey
Morey Holzman: My Twenty-Five Years of Researching the Evolution of Hockey
Chuck Swanlund: Mr. Hockey Comes to Texas
Courtney Szto: Changing on the Fly in Hockey: Lessons from Anti-Racism Research and Advocacy
Kevin Shea: Leaf Nation

Non-members are welcome to watch the presentations.

Date: Saturday, May 15, (1 PM EST)
Registration to attend the Virtual GM via Zoom: 2021 SIHR Virtual Annual General Meeting

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Hi everyone. I have been negligent posting the SIHR book interviews here. Truth be told, I have done fewer than I would like to do simply because I have a very big book project (non-hockey) on the go, so much of my focus goes there.

But then every so often I can knock off a couple of books in one column, as I did in this one from May 28, 2021, with Fred Sasakamoose’s memoir, Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to Becoming the NHL’s First Treaty Indigenous Player, and Crossroads: My Story of Tragedy and Resilience as a Humboldt Bronco, by Kaleb Dahlgren ... and Dan Robson's Measuring Up: A Memoir of Fathers and Sons.

Robson, Sasakamoose, Dahlgren meet at the Crossroads

Sasakamoose.jpg
Crossroads-Humboldt.jpg

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Playing catch-up, here are the other goodies:

This one on Julie DiCaro’s Sidelined: Sports, Culture, and Being a Woman in America has done really great numbers for my column, outpacing interviews with Hall of Fame hockey players. It's a fabulous book and eye-opening. In wrestling terms, I definitely "put her over."

Sidelined will open your eyes to the treatment of women in sports

Sidelined.jpg

This was a straightforward one, talking with Scott Powers as being the guy putting Darryl Belfry's thoughts in order for Belfry Hockey: Strategies to Teach the World’s Best Athletes.

Powers up to the task of explaining Belfry’s hockey philosophies

BelfryHockey.jpg

I like getting to talk to successful authors, and sometimes they end up helping me in ot er ways, with advice and whatnot. That was the case with my conversation with award-winning journalist and best-selling author Larry Olmsted about Fans: How Watching Sports Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Understanding.

Fans a fan study aimed at fans, not academics

Fans.jpg

That was also the case with Rich Cohen, and we had a good chat about Pee Wees: Confessions of a Hockey Parent.

Leap with Rich Cohen into the world of hockey parenting

RichCohenPeeWees.jpg

Thanks for reading. When you respond and give feedback, it's a good reminder for me to come back! LOL

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
This year's SIHR Fall Meeting will be a virtual meeting (via Zoom) again. The date is November 20, 1 to 4 PM EST.

Those who register to "attend" will be able to watch the following presentations:

James Milks: An Introduction to the New SIHR Website
Eric Zweig: Si Griffis and the Kenora Thistles
Morey Holzman: Hockey During Montreal's Smallpox Epidemic
Mike Miller: San Antonio and the Birth of Ice Hockey in Texas
André Rivest: Locker Room Access
Bill Sproule: An Introduction to Two New SIHR Projects (30 in 30, and How to Write a Hockey Book Workshop)

You can register here.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
With piles of hockey books around, and no time to read 'em, I'm doing my best with the fall onslaught for the SIHR hockey book column. Picture books help!

I finally got to interview Gretzky -- Glen Gretzky! (He runs the 99 winery, which matters!) Glen teamed with an old friend, Lauri Holomis, on a picture book, Great Too, just out. Here's my Society for International Hockey Research column talking to them both:

Celebrating how Great Walter Gretzky was in book form

Great%20banner.png

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It recently occurred to me that I've been a little negligent in keeping up with new purchases. I've only bought about 2-3 books per year for about the last 7 years. I mean to fix that now. In a perfect world, I'd just buy everything, but due to the realities of money and not having enough years left in my life to read everything that comes out, I have to be picky. And thanks to recommendations by @Habsfan18 (who seems to value the exact same things in a book as I do) and the links in this thread, I've been able to put together a good wantlist to chip away at over the coming year. Thanks to @Theokritos, @goliver845 and everyone else who contributes to this and all the threads in the OP, as it was extremely helpful to a historian looking to keep up-to-date on the most essential releases of the last few years.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
It recently occurred to me that I've been a little negligent in keeping up with new purchases. I've only bought about 2-3 books per year for about the last 7 years. I mean to fix that now. In a perfect world, I'd just buy everything, but due to the realities of money and not having enough years left in my life to read everything that comes out, I have to be picky. And thanks to recommendations by @Habsfan18 (who seems to value the exact same things in a book as I do) and the links in this thread, I've been able to put together a good wantlist to chip away at over the coming year. Thanks to @Theokritos, @goliver845 and everyone else who contributes to this and all the threads in the OP, as it was extremely helpful to a historian looking to keep up-to-date on the most essential releases of the last few years.

Agreed, this has been an invaluable resource for keeping track of new books coming out, and for seeing other people's reviews and discussions on the books at hand. Really useful in deciding what to prioritize (I also don't purchase/read as many as I'd like, despite my best efforts).

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019

Thanks for the kind words. I only touch on a fraction of the books out there, of course. Self-publishing has evened the playing field tremendously ... but that doesn't always mean quality books!

Still, I respect anyone who writes and love to talk to authors! (We are a special breed, if I may say so!)

Reactions: seventieslord

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
One of the things I love about doing my "Two Minutes for Reading So Good" column on hockey books at the Society for International Hockey Research website is I can talk to who I want. Sometimes it's a thank you. Bruce Kidd kindly wrote a blurb for my book, Father Bauer and the Great Experiment at the last minute when I met him at a book launch with Allan Stitt.

So when I saw that Bruce's memoir was out, I wanted to read it, and quickly realized it would be easy to talk about the hockey side of one of Canada's most famous runners -- and one of the most important people in Canadian sport over the last 50 years.

Sport—including hockey—dominates Bruce Kidd’s memoir

BruceKiddRunners.jpg

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
One of the things I love about doing my "Two Minutes for Reading So Good" column on hockey books at the Society for International Hockey Research website is I can talk to who I want. Sometimes it's a thank you. Bruce Kidd kindly wrote a blurb for my book, Father Bauer and the Great Experiment at the last minute when I met him at a book launch with Allan Stitt.

So when I saw that Bruce's memoir was out, I wanted to read it, and quickly realized it would be easy to talk about the hockey side of one of Canada's most famous runners -- and one of the most important people in Canadian sport over the last 50 years.

Sport—including hockey—dominates Bruce Kidd’s memoir

View attachment 477098

Right after I read this post I was in a used book store, and came across Kidd's The Struggle for Canadian Sport, a major book relating to Canadian sport. Probably would not have caught my eye if it wasn't for this, and am glad I have a copy now.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
For everyone still contemplating whether to join SIHR or not, the new SIHR Research Journal offers quite an incentive to join.

2021_sihr_journal_cover_300px.jpg

A great range of topics is covered in 15 articles by the following authors:

Steve Currier: Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Shot: A NHL Pre-Season Experiment

Steve Currier recalls the radical and controversial 1974 rule proposal: the “free shot”. A free shot would be awarded if play was stopped because a) a goalie froze the puck for more than three seconds, b) a goalie delayed the game by placing the puck onto the goal netting, or c) a player, including the goalie, despite not being checked by an opponent, chose to freeze he puck or play the puck along the boards in a way that led to a whistle.

Brian Marshall: Brimsek, Broda and Mowers: The Battle for Goaltending Supremacy in 1940/41

The 1940/41 National Hockey League season featured an epic battle for supremacy between three goaltenders, vying for the coveted Vezina Trophy. The battle involved a rookie, Johnny Mowers of the Detroit Red Wings and two seasoned professionals, Frank Brimsek of the Boston Bruins, and Walter ‘Turk’ Broda of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Bill Sproule: Charles Uksila: From the Copper Country to the Ice Capades

Charles "Charlie" Uksila was one of the first US-born players to participate in a Stanley Cup series as a member of the 1915/16 Portland Rosebuds, and after he retired from hockey, he went on to a fascinating career in figure skating.

Reg Lansberry: Claude Provost: When Nine is Not Enough

Claude Provost was a valuable right wing who went about his business quietly, was almost always unnoticed, frequently drew the assignment of checking the opposition’s top left wing such as Bobby Hull of Chicago or Ted Lindsay of Detroit, and never drew much attention for the skilled job he did – especially in the playoffs.

Todd Denault: J.C. Tremblay: The Forgotten Man on the the Forgotten Dynasty

During his career with the Montreal Canadiens, both the fans and the media focused on what J.C. Tremblay wasn’t. He wasn’t tough. He wasn’t consistent. He wasn’t a Norris Trophy–winning defenceman. And above all, he wasn’t Doug Harvey. But "J.C. Superstar" was one thing: one of the most underappreciated play.

Andrew Holmand & Stephen Hardy: Knowledge and Power: Inventing the Hockey Coach, 1900-1920

The authors recount how in a very short span of time, Alf Smith, and then dozens of others, invented the hockey coach, a modern, Progressive expert, whose "scientific" knowledge of hockey translated into power within it. The new position was a product of hockey’s second generation, an era marked by diffusion, bureaucratic rationalization, and professionalization. And it has been with us, assumed and unquestioned, ever since.

Kevin E. Fisher: Nineteenth-Century Hockey: Southern Ontario and Western New York

This brief essay looks at hockey's spread into Hamilton, St. Catharines and Niagara Falls, and how it finally arrived in Buffalo, New York.

Ty Dilello: Pinkie Davie: A Life in Hockey

A biography of Manitoba born Bob "Pinkie" Davie, who skated with the Boston Bruins.

Stephen Smith: Remembering J.W. (Bill) Fitsell: 1923 - 2021

A tribute to the organization's founding president which acknowledges his passion, vision, commitment and enthusiasm.

Kevin Shea: The 1919 Stanley Cup Championship: Series Not Completed

Kevin Shea revisists the incomplete 1919 Stanley Cup championship between the Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Metropolitans, disrupted by the Spanish Influenza pandemic.

Kaitlyn N. Carter: The Best in the Empire's Cause: Representations in Canadian Newspapers of Hockey Players during WWI

Kaitlyn N. Carter, a recent graduate of Western University's M.A. program in history, explores Canada's need for a national identity in the decades following Confederation and a rallying point crafted by the Canadian military and newspapers around the game of ice hockey during the first World War.

Eric Zweig: The Cleghorns Take Manhattan: Sprague and Odie's Winter in New York

If they hadn't been real, someone would have had to invent them—RKO Pictures, perhaps, or Warner Brothers. Disney, maybe. Have you ever seen the 1945 Goofy short Hockey Homicide? The names Sprague and Odie Cleghorn do sound like cartoon characters, but the violence, especially on Sprague’s part, was all too real.

Roger A. Godin: The Mysterious Gerry Geran: The NHL’s First American

Gerry Geran, a native of Holyoke, Massachusetts, was the first US-born player in the NHL’s history. Roger tells the story of the man who made his inauspicious professional debut in the Montreal Wanderers' first game on December 19, 1917, on the first night of play of the newly minted league.

Hannu Kauhala: Tommi Salmelainen: The NHL's First European Draftee

In 1969, at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, Tommi Salmelainen became the first European to be selected in the NHL draft. While this achievement might be seen as groundbreaking, modern-day fans may find it hard to believe that Salmelainen was completely unaware - even though he was practising just 340 miles (550 km) southwest, in Toronto!

Dean Robinson: Two Trophies, Two Cities: One Jack Dent

Dean Robinson details the origin of the Jack Dent Memorial Trophy to the best defenceman of the Stratford (Ontario) Hockey Club Junior B team and the Jack Dent Trophy awarded to the Windsor Spitfires MVP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad