Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If they can't figure out how to run it on a decently on a base PS4 or X Box One that Switch version is never coming out or if it is, the state it will be in will be interesting.

Does anyone actually play the Switch thinking it’s anything but a handheld with a dock though? I view mine the same way I view my Vita. It’s fun for on the go, and playing exclusives, but if I care about graphics or a modern experience, that’s not the console in using. Just nerf the graphics until it runs and tell people “what did you expect trying to play it on a Switch?”. The PS4 and XBone ports should be harder imo, because there’s a higher expectation on what the consoles can do

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone actually play the Switch thinking it’s anything but a handheld with a dock though? I view mine the same way I view my Vita. It’s fun for on the go, and playing exclusives, but if I care about graphics or a modern experience, that’s not the console in using. Just nerf the graphics until it runs and tell people “what did you expect trying to play it on a Switch?”. The PS4 and XBone ports should be harder imo, because there’s a higher expectation on what the consoles can do
I think with this IP, there may be issues/backlash since Harry Potter has a huge fandom among kids and it might be their only device especially ones with less tech savy parents to understand the dramatic disparity between what they've seen advertised and what it performs at. Any somewhat tech-literate adult should understand what you are saying and expect that.

For me, an adult with multiple options on how to play this game? Absolutely. If I want a modern experience I'll most likely run it on my PC or my PS5 if the PC Port is underwhelming. Which is what I'll do for pretty much any AAA game, and use my Switch for indies I like (Streets of Rage 4, Hades, etc), less demanding 2d side scrollers (Sonic Mania, Rayman Legends, etc), and Nintendo exclusives. It's a device I like to use if traveling or just feel like playing in handheld. I do think the fact the Witcher 3, Nier Automata, and Doom Eternal were able to get decent ports out does raise expectations a bit.

Reactions: The Nuge

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm curious how they're going to get it to run on the XB1 and PS4, which are both much slower than the minimum system requirements for the game that already assume 720p/30fps Low quality. To give an idea, they call for a CPU from 2017 and a GPU from 2016, but both consoles are from 2013. They'll likely have to invent a Super Low quality and get rid of most non-essential NPCs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
FYI, if you're on PC and hate the camera position, like me, you can use a mod to put it wherever you want. I have it centered on and further behind my character and am a lot happier now.

View attachment 664077

Links and my instructions for setting it up:
1. Download CustomizableCamera.
2. Download UE4SS (needed for the mod to work).
3. Download Blueprint_Apparate (needed for the mod's UI).
4. Unzip the "UE4SS" zip to <gamefolder>\Phoenix\Binaries\Win64.
5. Open UE4SS-settings.ini, scroll down to the [Debug] section and set GuiConsoleEnabled to 0 to disable the UE4SS window at startup.
6. Unzip the "CustomizableCamera" zip to <gamefolder>.
7. Unzip the "BP Apparate" zip to <gamefolder>\Phoenix\Content\Paks\~mods.
8. Run the game.
9. At the character load screen, press F8.
10. In the black window that appears, type "CameraUI" (no quotes) and hit Enter.
11. Exit the game. You may have to use Alt+F4 if the cursor disappeared.
12. Run the game and, this time, load your character.
13. Press F6 to display the CustomizableCamera UI.
14. Choose your settings, press Save, click on the X button to close and press F6 again in the future to edit the settings.
If, for whatever reason, my instructions don't work, just see the original instructions on the Description page at the first link.

Edit: I just discovered that I can approximate a 1st-person view by moving the camera in front of my character, though I'm not sure how playable it'll be.

View attachment 664105
Man that’d be so nice on my Xbox.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just got Alohamora I and II thankfully...and finished the Daedalian Keys! Also done 2/3 Hogwarts Secrets. Certainly taking my time but still very much enjoying it.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
They need to add in the option to lock your gear. If I turn off my glasses on one item, changing to an improved piece shouldn't reset my glasses being turned off.

Reactions: GabeTravels

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wish there was a better reward for doing the treasure vault/caves. Other than that no major complaints at this point. It’s simple, fun, challenging when it needs to be, and set in a huge detailed world fans would love. Great game.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I wish there was a better reward for doing the treasure vault/caves. Other than that no major complaints at this point. It’s simple, fun, challenging when it needs to be, and set in a huge detailed world fans would love. Great game.
It sucks that the rewards are random. Makes exploring the caves pretty much useless unless you want to 100% the game.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
It sucks that the rewards are random. Makes exploring the caves pretty much useless unless you want to 100% the game.

Agreed and they all seem to be basically the same design. Wish they had some more challenging ones. I stopped half way through the game trying to get the treasure since it wasn’t any better than regular chests you can find around the world.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Productive lately! Got all of the Demiguise statues in Hogwarts, and unlocked Alohamora III.

Just did the next set of quests for Sebastian and Natty
(Feldcroft and Highwing)

Missing two darn Field Guide pages from Hogsmeade... I'll find them eventually I'm sure.

The Vivarium is amazing and just makes me happy whenever I'm there. Probably the music helps.

Game is just... Really, really good.

Last edited:

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Check this out. I want to see this in the game!!

::edit::

Chandler is the Community Manager for the game

I don't curse them but it's fun to Levioso the cats, haha.

I feel bad when I accidently use basic cast instead of feeding/petting my beasts in the Vivarium and they scatter.

I just did the Hogsmeade sidequest with the shop...freaky as all hell, but enjoyable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dolemite

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm about 60 hours in at this point...still really enjoying it but it definitely does get a tad repetitive.

The third trial was amazing from a storytelling and visual standpoint.
Yeah the first two are fairly similar but the last two are unique and fun

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A lot of ppl like it. Only way to find out if you will is to play it.

Not necessarily for example I haven't played the RE4 Remake yet,but I know I'm going to like it.

Spiderman 2 isn't even out for another 6-8 months yet but I know I'm going to like it

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
So is it any good? It looks great but so did Forspoken and supposedly that's a dumpster fire.
I've never been an RPG guy...ever, but I really enjoy the game. Visually spectacular, extremely faithful to the source material. If you're even a casual HP fan you'll enjoy the setting.

Gameplay is engaging, albeit a bit repetitive. It is fun chaining different spells together and finding fun combos.

Story is decent so far. While not as deep as other Wizarding World lore, it's kept me engaged enough, and I'm excited to see where it ends up. I enjoy the tie-ins with the main books; they've done a good job with making references without being overly reliant on fan service. Some deeper cuts for sure!

I'd give it a 9/10 so far.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad