GDT: Hogtown Hoedown - Hurricanes vs Maple Leafs

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Love to see Aho having a career season after signing his huge contract. Bought his jersey this year after trying to decide between him and Slavin and glad I made the choice I did. Such a damn stud. On a 100 point pace (over 82, though he's already missed 3 games so he'll have to improve on that pace to actually hit 100). He's been great in the dot too with a career best 54%.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Things are beginning to look preettttyy good. Pretty pretty good. Not a world beater game, but plenty solid road effort.
Seriously. Special teams clicking all around, team D much better than earlier in the year, Koochie playing great and optimism surrounding Freddie, Aho and Svech dominating along with contributions from guys like Jarvis, Noesen, Drury. Happy with where things are at right now.

And on a side note, Caps just lost in shootout after getting a late Ovi goal called back that probably would've given them the regulation W. Thanks Askarov!

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm glad the caps lost, but holy hell the goalie interference they called to disallow the potential game-winner was a joke.
My wife is a Caps fan. I asked her what they were even taking so long for because the guy was clearly out of the crease and didn't do anything particularly harmful to the goalie. I was pretty shocked it went that way. But that's league officiating in all facets. Total incompetence.

Having watched the Caps a lot this year, I don't think they're a huge threat even with the good record, so I actually feel pretty bad Ovie got robbed of this goal even if it helps us.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just getting caught up, calling 100% f***ing bullshit on that last goal...no way they know where in his glove that puck was and if the puck IN THE GLOVE was 100% every millimeter over the red line. Officiating was absolute horse shit for the 3rd-4th game in a row. Tough game but beat the Laughs + Refs, Kooch looked good again

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Just getting caught up, calling 100% f***ing bullshit on that last goal...no way they know where in his glove that puck was and if the puck IN THE GLOVE was 100% every millimeter over the red line. Officiating was absolute horse shit for the 3rd-4th game in a row. Tough game but beat the Laughs + Refs, Kooch looked good again
Yeah I was pretty shocked at that being a goal. Fortunately it has no impact on the game with so little time left and Aho’s EN cushion, but feel bad for Pyotr that it counts against him.

My wife is a Caps fan. I asked her what they were even taking so long for because the guy was clearly out of the crease and didn't do anything particularly harmful to the goalie. I was pretty shocked it went that way. But that's league officiating in all facets. Total incompetence.

Having watched the Caps a lot this year, I don't think they're a huge threat even with the good record, so I actually feel pretty bad Ovie got robbed of this goal even if it helps us.
Agreed, that was complete bullshit and I want Ovi to pile on the goals and break the record as I’m the rare Canes fan who actually likes him. But I’ll take the extra point on them in the standings, we’ve gotten screwed plenty ourselves so not gonna cry for them.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah I was pretty shocked at that being a goal. Fortunately it has no impact on the game with so little time left and Aho’s EN cushion, but feel bad for Pyotr that it counts against him.

Agreed, that was complete bullshit and I wasn’t Ovi to pile on the goals and break the record as I’m the rare Canes fan who actually likes him. But I’ll take the extra point on them in the standings, we’ve gotten screwed plenty ourselves so not gonna cry for them.
Yeah, I love Ovie. Hopefully, even with that goal being robbed, it's a harbinger of him getting back on track to score with the goal he did score and this other one that got taken away.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If Kochetkov can hold his current level of play until Andersen is ready (hopefully), we may have the luxury to pursue a scoring addition instead of a goalie.
They still might pick up some kind of insurance goalie regardless. Even if all come back and/or start playing well, you've still got two guys that get hurt a lot and a young guy that you don't want to run into the ground. I don't think they'd want to end up in any kind of meaningful games with Perets even in sniffing distance at this point. And we've seen that between injury and inconsistent play, you're going to need possibly several goalies on a long playoff run.

That said, I think they'll be looking around at all options, forward, goalie, and dman by the deadline if they're in the position we expect them to be.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
They still might pick up some kind of insurance goalie regardless. Even if all come back and/or start playing well, you've still got two guys that get hurt a lot and a young guy that you don't want to run into the ground. I don't think they'd want to end up in any kind of meaningful games with Perets even in sniffing distance at this point. And we've seen that between injury and inconsistent play, you're going to need possibly several goalies on a long playoff run.

That said, I think they'll be looking around at all options, forward, goalie, and dman by the deadline if they're in the position we expect them to be.

Sure, but it's the difference between paying a relatively high pick for Kahkonen/Blackwood/etc. and eating up a non-negligible amount of deadline cap space vs. getting an AHL veteran option for nothing.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The market for scorers will be incredibly low again this season. There won’t be an obvious fix to our issues available either. I would expect us to go chasing some cheap depth at C and W, call it a deadline. Maybe even G if we need it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The market for scorers will be incredibly low again this season. There won’t be an obvious fix to our issues available either. I would expect us to go chasing some cheap depth at C and W, call it a deadline. Maybe even G if we need it.
I doubt we get anybody in the high-end scorer category either. At least not until the offseason if they decide to bail on Necas. I think the top of the forward market we'd be shopping in would be the Henrique or Monahan level. It's likely to be a few depth pieces like it usually is, though I'm sure they'll sniff around if any high-end guys come available as they usually do.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I could see us making just 1 deadline move for an AHL/#3 goalie just for depth we hopefully never have to use. And I’d be fine with it. Tarasenko or Kuzmenko would be interesting but probably would cost more than we’d pay for a rental/short term add.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
One thing I forgot to mention during the game, is that Chatfield has a calming effect on me. Something similar to Slavin. Every game I've watched this season, I don't feel like I'm going to shit my pants when he's on the ice. It's nice.
Which is a lot of growth in his game. When he first arrived on the scene, he looked very chaotic to me. Was probably him trying to do too much and make an impression to stick with the team. I wasn't sold on him to start last year and am very happy to be wrong. I still don't want to count on him as a 2nd pairing guy, but he's slotted perfectly right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad