Hoglander deserves PP time. Enough is enough.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agree with others saying that Hog's strengths don't really lend themselves to the PP.

That said, sure, you could try him there. I don't think it really matters though. PP2 isn't going to play much regardless.

Reactions: Indiana

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Guy barely has ever played on the PP, how can you make a conclusion that he is not good on the PP. Give the man a chance!

Just watch his 5 on 5 game, Hogs is a fine player but not one for the PP. Go watch some of his PP time from last year in AHL, further demonstrates this.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Good points on both sides by everyone, but I think some of us are becoming to narrow focused when it comes to the PP. Same with how the league seemingly changed.

I know we all remember from the Sedin era and around the league before then, that one of the best power play structures was the back and forth D passes with a one timer from the point and a man camped in front of the net. Not saying that we should implement that again(Even though I want it), but now almost every PP setup in the league is an umbrella. Even bad teams adopt the new standard when it doesn't benefit them to do so.

So when it comes to the 2nd PP unit and putting Hogs in there I think it actually has the possibility of being profitable, we just can't structure the second unit like everyone else does. Have them be more free wheeling, putting teams in the spin cycle in the left corner giving ample opportunities for Hogs to use that amazing shot top left corner. We've all seen how good it is.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hoglander's game has looked like Garland's since he was drafted, IMO (the Hansen talk was always utter horse-sh*t), and just like Garland, his game isn't that well suited to the PP (or playing with guys like Pettersson/Kuzmenko).

You could say that he could always develop that ability, but he has to show it 5-on-5 first. He's shown that he can be great 5-on-5, but he hasn't really shown transferrable PP abilities-- he still looks like Garland (which isn't a bad thing at all).

He should have PP time over guys like Lafferty or Aman, but not Suter, IMO.

I actually think Joshua is the guy we should all be complaining doesn't get more PP time-- he looks like he could fit it really really well.

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think there is a place where hogs would fit on a pp. Basically down low around the net. Id probably try Joshua as a net front with hogs skating around the net for additional tips or puck retrieval. He's so quick to the puck and he's slippery so that should help for scramble plays

Also, zone entries are tough for pp2 sometimes. I can see him being utilized to forecheck and retrieve the puck after dumpins

Last edited:
Reactions: HighAndTight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad