Hoglander deserves PP time. Enough is enough.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure where you'd play Hoglander on the PP. His forte is a hard, driven forecheck, in which he separates d-men from the puck and starts the cycle game.

I think he's perfectly suited to the role he's playing, and 14 goals is a huge bonus for the fourth line. But the amazing thing is that he's on pace for 25-30 goals, which considering the ice-time he gets, is nothing short of astonishing.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Absolutely. The PP brings a slow down mentality, when you realize you have more time than you think. It can improve players at 5v5 just by having the experience.

Hogs is good at deflections, behind the net, loads of talent, good short distance passer. It's all there.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
They put Kuz out there and the main unit barely uses him at all, he's pretty much a warm body. I

Hoglander has a penchant for cleaning up loose pucks and rebounds these days, in much the same way Kuzmenko was last season, I think that could be a worthwhile skill set to park near the net.

Reactions: Indiana and David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a guy who tends to capitalize on broken play and forechecking, not a structured PP player.

He got a ton of PP time in Abbotsford last year and was a play-killing mess for most of it.

Reactions: biturbo19

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Some of you are pointing out Hoglander is not suited for PP. Far enough but he deserves more ice time than he gets.

But as far as suitability, the PP2 is totally and completely useless. Can anyone here list the last time they scored a goal, or even kept the puck in the offensive zone? Have they scored a PP goal all year?

Mikheyev gets trotted out their religiously and he has hands of stone, cant hit the broadside of a barn door.

• Haha
Reactions: Indiana and David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some of you are pointing out Hoglander is not suited for PP. Far enough but he deserves more ice time than he gets.

But as far as suitability, the PP2 is totally and completely useless. Can anyone here list the last time they scored a goal, or even kept the puck in the offensive zone? Have they scored a PP goal all year?

Mikheyev gets trotted out their religiously and he has hands of stone, cant hit the broadside of a barn door.

I've said for years that - and this goes especially in the playoffs - teams should just have their PP1 play the full 2 minutes of every PP.

PP2 has 2 or 3 goals this year but get like 40% of the minutes. PP1 has 33 goals.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
He's a guy who tends to capitalize on broken play and forechecking, not a structured PP player.

He got a ton of PP time in Abbotsford last year and was a play-killing mess for most of it.
Yeah but we have coaches for that…like the Sedins

Reactions: Indiana

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
No.

Hoglander is an energy/forechecking kind of player. He causes chaos, wins board battles, scores through turnovers, cycles, and steals. None of those things are useful in the structured, patient, set-play style of power play mechanics.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Or we could just give minutes to the guys who are actual better PP players, like Suter?

Players can evolve. I also don’t see where that argument comes from after Suter missed two wide open nets against the leafs and hoglander once again showed advanced finishing ability.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. Exactly.

Hoglander thrives on pushing the pace and opportunistic sort of scoring. When we had Hoglander playing like garbage and looking lost, it was when he was trying to "slow things down" and "make plays" like that. That's just not really what he's good at, and i don't see the benefit to putting him in that kind of structured, slowed down situation. He's not going to contribute much of anything to the effort, and at worst...it could shake him lose from that mentality he's had that has made him so successful again at even strength. I wouldn't mess with it at all.

Reactions: bossram and MS

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Hoglander just turned 23 and is going to be a successful player for a very long time and is having a phenomenal season ,

Your not going to break up that 3rd line and he is having so much success with Lafferty and Aman I’m totally ok with utilizing him the way they are for the remainder of the season .

He is my favourite Canuck and watching him score 2 goals in person was so epic .

But yeah a shot on the power play wouldn’t hurt , but in Tocchet we trust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad