Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Except they always mentioned that he was ONLY a goal-scorer and couldn't be bothered to play any defense or back check. So no, not the same results.

I think it would be an incredibly small handful of people who have watched Bobby play in Anaheim and now in Ottawa and think he's the same player.

Uh, not that I watched him regularly in Anaheim, but I remember him running over a couple people back then. He's always had that physical ability.

That being said, I have noticed an increase in defensive effort. Maybe that came with his role of being more of a go to guy.

I'm talking strictly offensive, his consistency hasn't changed much. He'll go nearly invisible for a month except for a dangle here or shot there...then he'll be on fire creating every shift for a month.

The cold spells offensively do coincide with his injuries in Ottawa. So the positive is hopefully he was playing injured. If you're playing devils advocate he could have went cold anyway, because he was on and off in Anaheim too. Or maybe he was cold only when injured in anaheim. That brings up a new question. Is he often injured? Just trying to look at it from all angles.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Not sure what else Hoffman has to do to show he is a legit top 6 forward. Obviously he has so to it over an entire season but the speed, shot, passing, and hockey IQ are obviously there. If this line and the Turris line can both produce at the same time for once we might actually have a dangerous top 6.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Uh, not that I watched him regularly in Anaheim, but I remember him running over a couple people back then. He's always had that physical ability.

That being said, I have noticed an increase in defensive effort. Maybe that came with his role of being more of a go to guy.

I'm talking strictly offensive, his consistency hasn't changed much. He'll go nearly invisible for a month except for a dangle here or shot there...then he'll be on fire creating every shift for a month.

The cold spells offensively do coincide with his injuries in Ottawa. So the positive is hopefully he was playing injured. If you're playing devils advocate he could have went cold anyway, because he was on and off in Anaheim too. Or maybe he was cold only when injured in anaheim. That brings up a new question. Is he often injured? Just trying to look at it from all angles.

Take a look at any Duck's thread about Ryan. He was pretty much their Spezza.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I just wish Ryan had better luck with injuries. He's just had bad luck with injuries so far but he's probably the most gifted player on our team outside of Karlsson and has a wicked release as well. Pretty sure he's our only legit 30 goal scorer on the team. Just wish he could have better luck so we can see it. Don't really think he's lost his goal scoring touch at all.

BigBush*

I just wish Ryan had better luck with injuries. He's just had bad luck with injuries so far but he's probably the most gifted player on our team outside of Karlsson and has a wicked release as well. Pretty sure he's our only legit 30 goal scorer on the team. Just wish he could have better luck so we can see it. Don't really think he's lost his goal scoring touch at all.

Better luck with injuries. He's missed 15 games in the last 7 years. He's been one of the lucky ones as far as injuries go for NHL players

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Better luck with injuries. He's missed 15 games in the last 7 years. He's been one of the lucky ones as far as injuries go for NHL players

The guy always seems to be playing injured though.... Which he has for majority of his career in Ottawa. Obviously.

BigBush*

The guy always seems to be playing injured though.... Which he has for majority of his career in Ottawa. Obviously.

Huh? He had a hernia at the end of last year didn't he? And are we considering a broken figure an injury? I don't considering he's playing the best hockey of his life with it

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Huh? He had a hernia at the end of last year didn't he? And are we considering a broken figure an injury? I don't considering he's playing the best hockey of his life with it

He was dealing with the hernia since like end of December last year. I'm guessing it's hard to play with a broken finger. He was laboring big time yesterday. Although was hustling. I'm not criticizing him. And he was much more impressive last year september- December than he is right now.
*note: this is not criticism. This is just pointing out that he has been playing injured. I don't feel we should trade him. I don't want to be Edmonton. And I don't want to sign bad free agents.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was on our second line last year so he had more room to do his thing

When he's been on this year I've liked him more than last, his commitment to two-way play is fantastic and his passing is improving while last year all he did was score goals

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He was on our second line last year so he had more room to do his thing

When he's been on this year I've liked him more than last, his commitment to two-way play is fantastic and his passing is improving while last year all he did was score goals
Yeah but he wasn't exactly the cause of any goals... He was playing with Mac and Turris who were getting it done offensively. I would rather him score the goals. And still not be responsible for goals against. Which he was last year at a 100%

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I do wonder when Ryans broken finger will be healed.

Does it take longer to heal while playing then it does to just sit out?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If you play Ryan with Mac and Turris then that's our first line.

If you play Ryan with Ziba and Hoffman then that's our first line.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All due respect to Hoffman but he shouldn't be our #1 Left Winger.

Why not? The best players should play the most minutes, and he's been probably one of our top 3 or 4 forwards this year.

His speed is on another level and he shoots the puck every time he gets a chance.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Dont get the underrating of Hoffman, guy has all the tools excluding size to be a top line player worst case being a first second line tweener. His skating, puck skills, and shot are all well above league average.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I think your going to see Coach Cam try these lines that Maclean wouldn't have, simply because this is the Team Murray built, this is what he has to do to keep his job.

What does he have to lose, other than his job!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Umm hate to tell you but he only has 6 goals, I doubt he ever hits 30 again
He has played 96 games for the sens and has 29 goals. He is a decent player but I have no idea how the sens under BM have a knee high bar for everything

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think your going to see Coach Cam try these lines that Maclean wouldn't have, simply because this is the Team Murray built, this is what he has to do to keep his job.

What does he have to lose, other than his job!

Maybe so but I'm sure he has his favorites too just like Maclean did and they'll get priority. Just seems that his favorites arent over the hill vets and bottom 6 players.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Umm hate to tell you but he only has 6 goals, I doubt he ever hits 30 again
He has played 96 games for the sens and has 29 goals. He is a decent player but I have no idea how the sens under BM have a knee high bar for everything

Dude was injured for most of last year and still scored 23 goals in 70 games. He's off to a slow start this year but there's absolutely no reason to believe he won't score 30 again.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I like that line, seriously. I had some doubt on Hoffman, I thought his hands and feet were too fast for his brain, like I didn't know if he could put it together at the NHL level. I have 3 close friends that played versus Hoffman and they all told me he was skilled as hell and sooooooo fast they had no doubt he would be a player so I still had hope, I am glad he is puting my doubts away right now. 25 years old it was breakout time for him or bust.

Ryan man, I love the player, I seriously love Karlsson more than any player in the world but I wouldn't have been pissed if Ryan was named captain. I love him. Not only on offense where he can hit, snipe, pass, but also on defense where he makes smart plays along the boards and gets the puck out. Total package. Hoffman struggles at times along the boards in our zone but the other 2 help him out and they fit nicely.

Zib. Love him also, a big, young, fast, big shot, skilled player. You can see what confidence can do to a young guy. I know some trashed him on this board, I have trashed some people in the past and eaten some crow, but Zib, never. I believe in him and I believe he can follow Johansen's style (lite) while putting 60pts season in his best years playing a good 200ft game with size and speed. People have to remember he's only 21!!!!!! It's crazy, imagine at 25-26 years old.

All that to say I love that line and agree with your view, I think they can be a good #1 line.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
If you play Ryan with Mac and Turris then that's our first line.

If you play Ryan with Ziba and Hoffman then that's our first line.

I think this is exactly it. I love Hoffman and am really warming to zbad obviously, but the top line is the line with bobby Ryan on it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman definitely has top line ability. Whether he reaches it is unknown but anyone thinking otherwise doesn't know Hoffman quite well. His shot, speed and playmaking alone are elite and could make him complementary top liner too.

There is nothing about Ryan's game that concerns me. Especially this year. Despite coming off major surgery, he's evolved his game into a style I never expected from him. He's become a complete 2 way player while developing his play-making ability. He's on pace for the most assists of his career and he's done so with a revolving door of linemates this season.

Now that he's developed some familiarity with Hoff and Zbad, he's letting his goal-scoring ability come out.

He is beasting right now. Easily my favorite player on the team. I don't care what Duck fans say about him. I'd be bitter too if I let him go for some 3rd liners.

Agreed.

Anyone watching Ryan would know his game has changed A LOT. He has become the top player on his team and reliable both ends of the ice.

There's a difference when you're producing as the 2nd or 3rd best forward on the team and when you're doing so as the best forward while also playing excellent physical and defensive games.

People forget Ryan last year was arguably 2nd or 3rd best player on his line. Turris was near PPG towards midseason as well. This year though, he's carrying his line, huge diff.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Ryan has been outstanding most games this season. When he isn't producing he's back checking and making good defensive plays. He also had won us to games in the shootout. Him and Zibby have been great in the shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad