Hodgson a potential buyout candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I see no need to get rid of him. Certainly not with a buyout. Playing with better talent next season alone should make him a productive contributor.

To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of excited to see how he does next year with the various center options he could play with.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I see no need to get rid of him. Certainly not with a buyout. Playing with better talent next season alone should make him a productive contributor.

To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of excited to see how he does next year with the various center options he could play with.

Agreed. The examples of Myers and Stafford starting to produce when they were surrounded by a good team and better system are a reason to think that not many players weren't in a good situation this year.

The problem just is there that if he doesn't improve, it will be extremely difficult to get rid of him. If you could get rid of him this offseason like Edmonton (and eventually Tampa) got rid of Gagner, you have to think about it. But absolutely no need for buy-outs.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Agreed. The examples of Myers and Stafford starting to produce when they were surrounded by a good team and better system are a reason to think that not many players weren't in a good situation this year.

The problem just is there that if he doesn't improve, it will be extremely difficult to get rid of him. If you could get rid of him this offseason like Edmonton (and eventually Tampa) got rid of Gagner, you have to think about it. But absolutely no need for buy-outs.

The difference being that Stafford and especially Myers looked like good/decent players still, despite not having a surrounding cast. Stafford was 2nd on the team in scoring and Myers was playing no. 1 defense. Yeah, they look even better now with a better cast, but it's not like it just came out of nowhere.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The difference being that Stafford and especially Myers looked like good/decent players still, despite not having a surrounding cast. Stafford was 2nd on the team in scoring and Myers was playing no. 1 defense. Yeah, they look even better now with a better cast, but it's not like it just came out of nowhere.

But Stafford is still lucky if he finds himself in the NHL next year.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

True. But you have to also notice that the season Hodgson is having hurts your self-confidence big time. It's not like his skills disappeared somewhere or he had an injury that took something away from his game. He's mostly doing things in periphery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxmW7R3XtU

It's not like he's not able to do those kind of things anymore (at least I can't figure out any reason for that).

If he is to rebound, he needs a clean slate, better system and better line-mates. And by better line-mates I don't mean that his struglings are result of his line-mates, just that he needs line-mates who have puck-skills, hockey IQ and can skate.

Offensively Hodgson and Reinhart are quite similar players (type-wise), and they both need quality line-mates to produce. Reinhart is neither going to be a guy who can play with two grinders and produce. But that's far from saying that Reinhart will ride shotgun on any line.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
We need RWers bad.

We can move centers or LW to the RW spot, but I still agree. We really have no depth in Rochester, everyone is already in Buffalo except Carrier. Bailey & Baptiste probably aren't going to be NHL ready next season, Compher & Fasching aren't under contract yet.

Which is a reason to keep Hodgson, he is a better option than Ellis and McCormick.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
We're not in a cap crunch. I don't see any reason to cut him. It's only 3 years, and I'd like to see what he can do next year either way, so that would only leave 2 more. I could live with that.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

This is a bit confusing to me. I don't see it necessary to get rid of Hodgson, but how is it exciting to see what Hodgson can do next season but Grigorenko should go? I don't see how one is any more valuable than the other right now, both in value to the team and in trade value. You don't think Grigorenko fits in the top nine, but how does Hodgson? Do you think Hodgson still has a place as a possible 4th liner?

Just to be clear, this is how I envision the FWs...

Moulson-McEichel-Ennis
Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Deslauriers-Schaller-XXXXX

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
This is a bit confusing to me. I don't see it necessary to get rid of Hodgson, but how is it exciting to see what Hodgson can do next season but Grigorenko should go? I don't see how one is any more valuable than the other right now, both in value to the team and in trade value. You don't think Grigorenko fits in the top nine, but how does Hodgson? Do you think Hodgson still has a place as a possible 4th liner?

Moulson-McEichel-Ennis
Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Not trying or wishing to speak for josh, but one obvious diff between Hodgson and Grigorenko is that Hodgson is actually a proven 20 goal, 40+ point producer. On a weak team and in multiple seasons. Comparably, Grigorenko hasn't even established himself as an NHL regular. Another big diff of course is the fact Hodgson is under a long term 2nd line producer contract. Grigorenko simply isn't.

(note: my comment isn't intended to compare these guys insofar as future potential or to weigh in on which should get a spot over the other, only to flag two of the rather obvious differences between their situations going forward)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Moulson-McEichel-Ennis
Kane-Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Pretty easy to see why someone would be excited about a young former 20 goal/50 pt level player, while having little excitement for a prospect who has shown the proverbial "nothing" at the NHL level.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Pretty easy to see why someone would be excited about a young former 20 goal/50 pt level player, while having little excitement for a prospect who has shown the proverbial "nothing" at the NHL level.

Just as exciting to watch Hodgson contribute to as many or more goals against? To be as weak in his own end as he might be strong in the O-zone (if he rebounds)? Sure, that's exciting if you don't care about winning, and just prefer red lights.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Not trying or wishing to speak for josh, but one obvious diff between Hodgson and Grigorenko is that Hodgson is actually a proven 20 goal, 40+ point producer. On a weak team and in multiple seasons. Comparably, Grigorenko hasn't even established himself as an NHL regular. Another big diff of course is the fact Hodgson is under a long term 2nd line producer contract. Grigorenko simply isn't.

(note: my comment isn't intended to compare these guys insofar as future potential or to weigh in on which should get a spot over the other, only to flag two of the rather obvious differences between their situations going forward)

Except Hodgson hasn't shown any improvement defensively. Both players bring their own problems that may have to be dealt with in the off-season, but I hope both can be kept and work them out.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Larsson showed the proverbial "nothing" at the NHL level last season, and he was and still is two years older than Girgorenko.

shhhhh...you are ruining for the people who want to ship Grigorenko out of here by the draft. How dare Grigorenko get a fair shot next year because he has shown "nothing" in the 60 or so games he has played. He has had more then enough chances as a prospect. get him outta here. :sarcasm:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Just as exciting to watch Hodgson contribute to as many or more goals against? To be as weak in his own end as he might be strong in the O-zone (if he rebounds)? Sure, that's exciting if you don't care about winning, and just prefer red lights.

I don't care about hodgson at all long term, he stinks.

The question you asked, was how someone could be excited about hodgson and not grigo... The answer to your question should be clear as day.

Hodgson can score at the NHL level, and be pretty terrible in many other areas. grigo has shown nothing.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't care about hodgson at all long term, he stinks.

The question you asked, was how someone could be excited about hodgson and not grigo... The answer to your question should be clear as day.

Hodgson can score at the NHL level, and be pretty terrible in many other areas. grigo has shown nothing.

Some saw that, some didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad