HOCKly presents The VANEK Files

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Vanek defensively able?

I should preface this by saying that the defensive abilities of wingers should not be weighed heavily at all. Having said that, Vanek is an epic kind of lazy, and very poor defensively.

Him and JT are a brutal combination in the defensive zone, especially when JT doesn't make it back to play center and Vanek has to cover (happens often enough to be concerned with JT's effort imo).

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
BD, I Just read through your Vanek issue, and it was a good read. I found the Moulson stuff most interesting.

The only thing I would have liked to see would be your thoughts as to possible scenario's for where Vanek might sign come July 1st. We all know Minnesota is a good possibility as to where he signs. Do the Islanders have any realistic shot at signing Vanek as a FA? What other teams would he be a realistic fit, cap and player-wise?

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
BD, I Just read through your Vanek issue, and it was a good read. I found the Moulson stuff most interesting.

The only thing I would have liked to see would be your thoughts as to possible scenario's for where Vanek might sign come July 1st. We all know Minnesota is a good possibility as to where he signs. Do the Islanders have any realistic shot at signing Vanek as a FA? What other teams would he be a realistic fit, cap and player-wise?

Let me help ya out here.

The Isles have no realistic shot at signing him.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Shouldn't this go in the Vanek thread...

BD , thanks for taking time to write the blog. Staple is an NHL source and one who has intimate ties with the franchise.If Staple said 7/50 there is no reason for us to think that is false. An anonymous source you claim to have saying the offer was more is tabloid worthy.

BD

Oct 30, 2002
North Shore of LI

I see 3 issue in play....

1: Quality of life/Family (Minny front-runner)
2: Chance at cup/competitive team (not Isles)
3: $$$$$ (Minny might be tight if they trade for Ryan Miller, despite Heatley off books, plus where does he play when Parise on top line?)

Avs to me would be Quality-of-life contender, but haven't looked yet to their needs.

Isles will be a $$$$ contender, but depends on what Vanek thought of quality of life. Yes, really, they will be making offer(s) this summer. But so weak on #2 right now in a big way UNLESS some deadline deal reaps top prospects READY for NHL.

Will need to look deeper on others but here are the 3 items that are in play as I see it.

BTW, Isles offer was 7 years, 60+ million. Not as reported, though not sure why low#s bouncing around b/c Staples is real deal and got real info also. Odd.

BD

Oct 30, 2002
North Shore of LI
Shouldn't this go in the Vanek thread...

BD , thanks for taking time to write the blog. Staple is an NHL source and one who has intimate ties with the franchise.If Staple said 7/50 there is no reason for us to think that is false. An anonymous source you claim to have saying the offer was more is tabloid worthy.

Ok, then consider this...

it makes no sense.

7 years, 60million+ seems the range.

Why the disparity? Staples might be getting agent offer, but.... and just conjecture bc this source is solid (no reason to believe me, I see you aren't a fan...so I get it)...

But what if they took that deal to Vanek himself to gauge desire to remain informally (no agent there)

Just a thought.

Also, consider this....

when has the Islanders given #s away to the beat reporter? Ever?

Likely it comes from agent.

Just consider this, and btw... I will be shown to be right.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia

Thanks for the response. I hope you are correct and we offered Vanek in the 7/60 range. It is at least a respectable offer. With the Islanders being one of the most tight lipped teams I have ever seen anything not coming from an official source has to be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I see 3 issue in play....

1: Quality of life/Family (Minny front-runner)
2: Chance at cup/competitive team (not Isles)
3: $$$$$ (Minny might be tight if they trade for Ryan Miller, despite Heatley off books, plus where does he play when Parise on top line?)

Avs to me would be Quality-of-life contender, but haven't looked yet to their needs.

Isles will be a $$$$ contender, but depends on what Vanek thought of quality of life. Yes, really, they will be making offer(s) this summer. But so weak on #2 right now in a big way UNLESS some deadline deal reaps top prospects READY for NHL.

Will need to look deeper on others but here are the 3 items that are in play as I see it.

BTW, Isles offer was 7 years, 60+ million. Not as reported, though not sure why low#s bouncing around b/c Staples is real deal and got real info also. Odd.

Thanks BD!

I won't hold my breathe for Vanek to sign here. Maybe the better hope is for us to get a good package for him then when he's traded.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ok, then consider this...

it makes no sense.

7 years, 60million+ seems the range.

Why the disparity? Staples might be getting agent offer, but.... and just conjecture bc this source is solid (no reason to believe me, I see you aren't a fan...so I get it)...

But what if they took that deal to Vanek himself to gauge desire to remain informally (no agent there)

Just a thought.

Also, consider this....

when has the Islanders given #s away to the beat reporter? Ever?

Likely it comes from agent.

Never, and yes it is odd. My first guess was Vanek's agent slipped with numbers to try and get the Isles to offer more considering other negotiations have that happen. But Bartlett knows Snow, and knows he does not like leaks about anything, so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad