Hockey's top 5 crushing defeats

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm noticing the 1993 Maple Leafs on here a lot. Makes me curious to break down what the constituent ingredients to that heartbreak would be.

a) amount of marquee players involved? b) size of the market and iconography of the franchise c) how deep into the playoffs the loss occurs? d) lack of success or cup winning thereafter?

Because I look at the Flames 2004 Game 7 loss and Oilers 2006 Game 7 loss or even the Bruins 2019 Game 7 loss and those feel like much bigger, crushing defeats.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
As a long time Hawk fan I have to put the game 7, '71 Stanley Cup final against the Habs as one of these most crushing defeats.
Hawks were at home and up 2-0 when the Pocket Rocket scores on Tony O from centre ice ... Montreal scores two more to take the cup in Chicago 3 - 2

Reactions: Chili

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
Pretty good choices. When I think of this topic, I think of teams that either never won the Cup or never recovered from the loss, despite having won prior Cups.

1. 1979 Bruins. First thing I thought of when reading the topic is this series. Just look at the goalie's reaction when Lafleur's shot goes in. Totally crushed emotionally. Boston doesn't win another Cup until 2011. Their best chance to finally beat Montreal and likely win a Cup against an upstart Ranger team. Yet, they blow it.

2. 1993 Maple Leafs. This one seems easy too. They were 26 years removed from their last Finals trip. That's an entire generation of fans that never saw their team have success. Since 1993, it's been 27 more seasons (hard to believe) and still no team success. The fact that Montreal was waiting in the Finals that year was bittersweet. Fans were cheated out of a series that would have received tremendous hype.

3. 2011 Canucks. Especially with the riot. Especially since they also lost game 7 in 1994. With another riot to boot. It made the entire franchise and city look bad.

4. 1999 Sabres. Four Superbowl losses in a row in a different sport makes this even more painful. Here's a franchise and city that never won anything. I know they were underdogs, but the controversial way it ended still haunts their fanbase today.

I think these 4 absolutely belong. I would also indeed concur that the 1971 Finals between the Habs and Blackhawks as well. What all of these have in common were daggers twisting in the hearts of the losing team's fanbase. Not just how they lost, blowing leads while victory was seemingly at hand, but because all of these franchises had to wait decades until they got their shot again at winning again, or still are waiting.

There's less sting in the OP's post for an Oilers team losing, a Penguins, or Kings team because simply they had a few seasons around those collapses, where everything did go right.

Incidentally, the worst sting for Sabres fans was a 2001 loss in the 2nd round against the Penguins, with Darius Kasparitis's Game 7 OT winning goal.

Those era's teams, as good as they were at making the playoffs and getting deep, never, ever opened up their series at home. It always seemed to be on the road. This was a rare series in where they had home ice advantage--and it seemed nerves and all cost them both opening games--close ones, but losses. They then go to Pittsburgh and win by 3 goals each game, and come home to win Game 5.

Game 6 in Pittsburgh, they had a win looming, leading by 1 going into the final two minutes of the game, but a puck plops high up in the air, and lands right at the stick of Lemieux who ties it and they promptly lose in OT.

In Game 7, the team also had a lead in the 3rd, and give up both the tying goal and the winning one in OT (to a Kasparitis who picked up the puck during a jam in OT and threw it in front of Don Koharski (who said after the game "I'm not calling that"), minutes before).

That 2001 team was better than the 99' team that made the Finals.

Hasek left the team after that series, perhaps the team wasn't going to give him the tools he would need to succeed. The team did not sign holdout Michael Peca, who in many minds, would have been the difference for the Sabres that playoff year, over a difference of something like a million dollars (nothing to an owner who was later jailed for cooking the books). I think with him on the roster, they get past the Pens, and the Devils in the ECF (they were 4-0 vs. them in the regular season) and who knows after that.

Since that playoff loss, and Hasek leaving that season, the franchise is still trying to find its identity, having made the playoffs just 4 times in the 19 years, he has left.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Not really.

Montreal had 8 hall of famers on that team as well as should be hall of famer J.C. Trembley, who was a first team all-star that season.

Boston had 4 HOFers.

And Montreal was still Montreal.

ok to defend my analogy, the 2016 cavs still had the greatest player in the world, top five all time, and two other all-nba players. they also were stacked.

the 1971 habs had a lot of excellent players, of course, but only one guy, late career beliveau, in the top ten in scoring, and only one other, cournoyer, in the top twenty. they missed the playoffs the year before and went into he playoffs with a rookie goalie no one had ever heard of.

that bruins team, as we know but it is always astounding to see the achievements listed out, was historically dominant in the regular season. top of the standings by 12 pts, destroyed the previous pts record, individual players destroyed all three scoring records by unfathomable degrees that no one would approach until gretzky, four out of the six first team all-stars, 1 and 2 in hart voting, players were 1, 2, 4, 8 in goals, 1 through 6 in assists, 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 in pts, and most crazily, thirteen of the top twenty in +/-, including the top six.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
2013 Leafs vs. Bruins. After the Kessel deal the Bruins were constantly the Leafs' nemesis, and the games got ugly real fast for Toronto. Then, finally, after coming to life in what was up-to-then the most exciting season for the Leafs after the lockout they finally got a chance to square off against the big, bad Bruins once and for all. The scrappy Leafs took the Bruins, just two years removed as Cup champions, all the way to the ropes, only to lose it in the most heartbreaking, humiliating, and most Maple Leaf manner.

To pile on top of this, it was the first time in about a decade that the Leafs would qualify for the postseason, and after all that hype it was all gone in less than 20 minutes of hockey.

Just take a look at the crowd outside the ACC if you want to witness firsthand what a crushing defeat looks like for a city rabidly obsessed with hockey and their team.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I think these 4 absolutely belong. I would also indeed concur that the 1971 Finals between the Habs and Blackhawks as well. What all of these have in common were daggers twisting in the hearts of the losing team's fanbase. Not just how they lost, blowing leads while victory was seemingly at hand, but because all of these franchises had to wait decades until they got their shot again at winning again, or still are waiting.

There's less sting in the OP's post for an Oilers team losing, a Penguins, or Kings team because simply they had a few seasons around those collapses, where everything did go right.

Incidentally, the worst sting for Sabres fans was a 2001 loss in the 2nd round against the Penguins, with Darius Kasparitis's Game 7 OT winning goal.

Those era's teams, as good as they were at making the playoffs and getting deep, never, ever opened up their series at home. It always seemed to be on the road. This was a rare series in where they had home ice advantage--and it seemed nerves and all cost them both opening games--close ones, but losses. They then go to Pittsburgh and win by 3 goals each game, and come home to win Game 5.

Game 6 in Pittsburgh, they had a win looming, leading by 1 going into the final two minutes of the game, but a puck plops high up in the air, and lands right at the stick of Lemieux who ties it and they promptly lose in OT.

In Game 7, the team also had a lead in the 3rd, and give up both the tying goal and the winning one in OT (to a Kasparitis who picked up the puck during a jam in OT and threw it in front of Don Koharski (who said after the game "I'm not calling that"), minutes before).

That 2001 team was better than the 99' team that made the Finals.

Hasek left the team after that series, perhaps the team wasn't going to give him the tools he would need to succeed. The team did not sign holdout Michael Peca, who in many minds, would have been the difference for the Sabres that playoff year, over a difference of something like a million dollars (nothing to an owner who was later jailed for cooking the books). I think with him on the roster, they get past the Pens, and the Devils in the ECF (they were 4-0 vs. them in the regular season) and who knows after that.

Since that playoff loss, and Hasek leaving that season, the franchise is still trying to find its identity, having made the playoffs just 4 times in the 19 years, he has left.
If it makes Buffalo fans feel any better, they weren't beating both New Jersey and Colorado that year. Losses in the first or second round can be crushing, but it's harder for those type of losses to linger in memory as the losses in later rounds. Does it matter if Buffalo lost in the second round rather than the third? I think not.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
2013 Leafs vs. Bruins. After the Kessel deal the Bruins were constantly the Leafs' nemesis, and the games got ugly real fast for Toronto. Then, finally, after coming to life in what was up-to-then the most exciting season for the Leafs after the lockout they finally got a chance to square off against the big, bad Bruins once and for all. The scrappy Leafs took the Bruins, just two years removed as Cup champions, all the way to the ropes, only to lose it in the most heartbreaking, humiliating, and most Maple Leaf manner.

To pile on top of this, it was the first time in about a decade that the Leafs would qualify for the postseason, and after all that hype it was all gone in less than 20 minutes of hockey.

Just take a look at the crowd outside the ACC if you want to witness firsthand what a crushing defeat looks like for a city rabidly obsessed with hockey and their team.
I can only imagine how Leafs fans felt after that loss in 2013. However, what chance did Toronto have of going deep that year?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
The Soviets lost 2-7 to Czechoslovakia in the 1974 World Championships first round. _I believe that is the single biggest defeat for the Soviet national team ever. Yet the Soviets ended up winning the tournament, beating the Czechs in the final round.

The Soviets also lost to Canada 3-7 in the 1981 CC round robin game. Some say that the Soviets played possum there (for example Tikhonov played Myshkin instead of Tretyak), but after watching this game I don't think the Soviets intentionally lost the game. The game was tied still in the third period until Canada scored a few fast goals and the game was over.

Reactions: JMCx4

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
A couple San Jose ones should be considered.

2009 first round loss to the Ducks - They won the President's Trophy that year and were heavy favourites facing the 8th seeded team. Everyone thought it was finally San Jose's year with Thornton in his prime and having gone through heartbreaking defeats in previous seasons. Everyone could see that Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington were coming on and people thought that those teams would be dominating for the next decade. It looked like San Jose's last chance. And they completely blew it in the first round against the 8th seed.

2014 loss to the Kings being the favourites and blowing a 3-0 series lead - this loss was so devastating that Thornton lost his captaincy for the following season. Who knows how far the Sharks would have gone that season - if they were able to get past the Ducks the next round, then they would have had home ice advantage for the remainder of the playoffs.

I feel like when all is said and done, these two playoff series will define Thornton's shortcomings in an otherwise brilliant career.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Boston 2010 had to hurt the way the Flyers knocked them out. Up 3-0 in the series. Up 3-0 after the first period of game 7. Only to lose.

They were so pissed they won the Cup the next year lol

Reactions: Sentinel

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Definitely olympic final in 2006 but the tournament format sucked also which allowed Sweden such an easy path to finals.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not really.

Montreal had 8 hall of famers on that team as well as should be hall of famer J.C. Trembley, who was a first team all-star that season.

Boston had 4 HOFers.

And Montreal was still Montreal.

Right, I too have been mistaken by looking at the standings different times over the years and seeing the 24 point difference between the Bruins and Habs and assuming this was the true gap between them. However, Dryden came late in the season and Frank Mahovlich came in a trade as well. Not to mention Montreal was in the middle of a 45 year domination of Boston in the playoffs. In fact, the Bruins won in 1970 and 1972 in years where they never faced the Habs in the playoffs. I think if the 1971 loss falls into the crushing category it might be because of the Game 2 collapse, but again there are likely 5 more series that are above this one.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Boston 2010 had to hurt the way the Flyers knocked them out. Up 3-0 in the series. Up 3-0 after the first period of game 7. Only to lose.

They were so pissed they won the Cup the next year lol

And the way they lost too. Game 4 goes into overtime with the Bruins needing just a goal to win the series. They have a powerplay in overtime that they squander. The Flyers eventually score. Game 5 is a shutout against them, Game 6 is a 2-1 game and Game 7, back at home, they blow a 3-0 lead and it is a very familiar too many men on the ice penalty where they go down 4-3 permanently. Yeah, that can arguably be on a top 5 list.

As a long time Hawk fan I have to put the game 7, '71 Stanley Cup final against the Habs as one of these most crushing defeats.
Hawks were at home and up 2-0 when the Pocket Rocket scores on Tony O from centre ice ... Montreal scores two more to take the cup in Chicago 3 - 2

Good one too. Hawks up 2-0 in the series, then 2-0 in Game 7 and quite frankly they are rolling along pretty well until Lemaire takes a harmless shot from outside the blueline that dips on Tony Esposito. Then two goals by Henri Richard and it is over. The Hawks still had Hull and Mikita, they had a slight but not overwhelming drop in net with Esposito over Hall, but Espo was still a HHOF goalie. This team could have won and no one would have been surprised.

And you can tell the Red Wings didn't forgive the Sharks considering what they did to them in 1995.

This one in 1994 was good too, for sure. When you are the overwhelming favourite against an expansion team who had a (still) record 71 losses just a year earlier and you lose a Game 7 because your goalie cleared the puck to an opposing player who shot it in the net then this one for sure is up there.

The Soviets lost 2-7 to Czechoslovakia in the 1974 World Championships first round. _I believe that is the single biggest defeat for the Soviet national team ever. Yet the Soviets ended up winning the tournament, beating the Czechs in the final round.

The Soviets also lost to Canada 3-7 in the 1981 CC round robin game. Some say that the Soviets played possum there (for example Tikhonov played Myshkin instead of Tretyak), but after watching this game I don't think the Soviets intentionally lost the game. The game was tied still in the third period until Canada scored a few fast goals and the game was over.

I am not sure it falls into the crushing category. They still won. It is like talking about Canada losing to Sweden in the round robin in the 2002 Olympics. None of it mattered in the long run. Canada also lost 9-4 in an exhibition game to the Soviets in the 1987 Canada Cup. If you still end up winning, I dont think it matters. It reminds me of the time Leon Lett was hotdogging in the Super Bowl for the Cowboys and he was almost in the end zone before Buffalo Bills player Don Beebe smacks the ball out of his hand. Funny play, and a little embarrassing but the Cowboys were up 52-17 in that game and that was the final. It changed nothing other than a classic Sportscenter moment.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
Pittsburgh in 1975 and San Jose in 2014 because at least Detroit and Boston managed to win the year after their 3-0 chokes.

Reactions: Bluesguru

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
2009 Finals

In hindsight it was my teams last chance at a Cup before the collapse that started up and came years later. The organization at the time was a role model for the whole league. They played the game the right way with skill, team play, and discipline. Their top 3 players were all Byng worthy and two-way monsters and they led the way.

They battled to get back to the finals to defend their title but limped in missing a Hart Trophy candidate and having more than a handful of key players either out before the finals started or playing through bad injuries. Things were already stacked against them due to health issues.

What does the league do? Change the finals schedule to an insane 3 games in 4 days after just 2 days off. Let the damn team properly defend their title I say! So the league stacked things against them even more with a truly bizarre way to start the finals. Of course their injuries were well publicized making it easy for even impartial hockey columnists to question what the hell was going on with the rushed start to the schedule. Conan O’Brien Show bla bla bla. Guess they couldn’t come up with a better excuse.

It felt like more than a normal “crushing defeat” because it will always feel like the league office played a big role in it. And no, I won’t let it go because it’s a reality. My team got screwed. Anyone who wants to counter that please compare that finals schedule with any other. What a farce Mr. Bettman. My team still only lost by a goal while still outshooting and out scoring the Pens over the course of the series. Most teams would have folded up early but that was a true championship team, even if they didn’t get handed the Cup at the end.

Reactions: Sentinel

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
As a Ranger fan 3 come to mind.

1. 1971 vs the Blackhawks the Rangers were up 2-1 in that game late in the 2nd period. I do think had they pulled that one out they go on and beat the Habs as those early 70s Rangers had the Habs number in the playoffs. That group has a cup and the curse ends 23 years earlier.

2. 1974 vs the Flyers. This was this groups last chance to get it done and despite the Bruins still being good in 74 they were sans Cheevers,Sanderson, and others. The Rangers had also knocked the Bruins out the previous year. I do think if they pull off the win they upset Boston and win the 74 cup.

3. 2015 vs the Bolts. 0-0 heading into the 3rd and the wheels fall off. As a Ranger fan in 15 the prevailing feeling was this is it after losing in 12 in the ecf and the previous year in the finals this was finally the year they were gonna take it. That loss pretty much slammed the window shut and while I'm not sure they beat Chicago had they got the Ducks im confident they would have won and in dominating fashion

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
As a Habs fan, losing to Boston in game seven overtime in 2011 was the most crushing defeat I've ever experienced - especially when Boston went on to win the Cup. It also doesn't help that Chara took out Pacioretty with a dirty hit late in the season.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
It is like talking about Canada losing to Sweden in the round robin in the 2002 Olympics.

Speaking of crushing defeats and Sweden in the 2002 Olympics...

Edit: Wasn’t the first to mention it.

Sweden vs Belarus has to be up there. Ruined Tommy Salo‘s legacy to some extent.

To some extent? Try defined his legacy! Regrettably though, as Salo’s save on Paul Kariya’s penalty shot was probably the second most memorable moment of the 1994 Olympic finals and what actually sealed the gold for Sweden. Had Foppa simply sniped it I bet you that Salo’s leg kick would have been the postage stamp.

Then there was the 2003 World Championship quarterfinals against Finland, that I feel pretty much sealed the deal on how many would view Salo forever. The Belarus loss was still fresh in everyone’s memory, and he allows five goals before being substituted for either Liv or Tellqvist, not sure, who shut it down for Sweden to rally back. I just couldn’t feel anything but sympathy for the guy since then, the shit he’s had to deal with and continues to be reminded of.

But about that 6-5 game, I feel like only Finns have felt as bad as Salo has after a loss. I remember playful banter between me and a Sweden Finn leading up to the 2006 Olympic finals turning ugly with him contemplating suicide after the game.

No serious list on the most crushing hockey defeats should omit some of Finland’s most painful memories of losing to Sweden.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad