Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Fall 2005: Best of the Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Pepper said:
Gleason, Eminger, Stuart and Smid behind Belle & Daley is mindbogling to say the least.

I don't think even Belle's mother would put him that high on the list.

Im a Stars fan and I know I wouldnt put him that high.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Am I the only fan here who doesn't really care where his team's prospects are ranked? I know for the most part this is all fun. Debates and lists are fun (sometimes).

I could sit here and plug Alex Picard and Dan Fritsche, who are pretty much just as good as many of the names being tossed here (and some on the list too).
But, I'd rather have my team's prospects be underrated than overrated.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Am I the only fan here who doesn't really care where his team's prospects are ranked? I know for the most part this is all fun. Debates and lists are fun (sometimes).

I could sit here and plug Alex Picard and Dan Fritsche, who are pretty much just as good as many of the names being tossed here (and some on the list too).
But, I'd rather have my team's prospects be underrated than overrated.

But then what the **** is the point of the site if we just shouldn't care what's published and how much thought goes into it?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
But then what the **** is the point of the site if we just shouldn't care what's published and how much thought goes into it?

I don't mind that. But, soooo many people seem to take this so seriously. In my post, I said lists and debates are fine.

It's just that people take it as a personal insult if Prospect A is considered the 60th best when he "should be" the 40th.

I was just throwing out the point that, as a Jackets fan, I kinda like that Fritsche and Picard aren't making these lists. Sure I could sit here and type up just as legit an argument as many are putting forth.

Instead I'm choosing to embrace the concept of "underrated," something some people here could use. :)
That isn't a bad thing.

Randall Graves*

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I don't mind that. But, soooo many people seem to take this so seriously. In my post, I said lists and debates are fine.

It's just that people take it as a personal insult if Prospect A is considered the 60th best when he "should be" the 40th.

I was just throwing out the point that, as a Jackets fan, I kinda like that Fritsche and Picard aren't making these lists. Sure I could sit here and type up just as legit an argument as many are putting forth.

Instead I'm choosing to embrace the concept of "underrated," something some people here could use. :)
That isn't a bad thing.
Ok, how about we change the rules that nobody has an opinion that doesn't go along with HF's?

mooseOAK*

The best of the rest seems to be populated by a lot previously high ranked prospects that went on to the AHL level, proved themselves but got forgotten in place of morerecent draft picks.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sam said:
If given the choice between Kesler and Kings prospect Lauri Tukonen (number 33 on the list), I'd take Kesler without hesitation. They both have similar upsides (elite second liners) but Kesler is much further developed.
That's often the case when somebody is 2 years older, Sammy.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Ryan Whitney, D, Pittsburgh Penguins
The first four selections in the 2002 draft, Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Jay Bouwmeester and Joni Pitkanen, have all been talked about as potential franchise players. But the player taken fifth overall has had little recognition. While Whitney’s three-year college career was inconsistent and perhaps underwhelming, the talented blueliner had a strong rookie campaign in the AHL this past season. He tallied 41 points in 80 games, and unlike many prospects in their first year out of college, Whitney did not seem to tire at the end of the year or in the playoffs, where the Boston University graduate notched nine points in 11 games. Whitney is blessed with great size and impressive offensive potential, but has to improve his decision-making

Two things I found odd with Whitney's description.

1. It says he had an underwhelming third year at BU (he lead the team in scoring, but whatever) but then went on to have a strong rookie campaign in the AHL, implicating improvement. Yet he was a top 50 prospect based on his junior year at BU, but not after his following season where he played much better. A bit strange.

2. Whitney's decision making was one of his strengths. His calmness and patience with the puck was excellent, and he truly has ice water running through his veins. His propensity to make mistakes was very low.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why the hell is LeClaire up there for goaltenders? The guy has done nothing at all since he was drafted unless I'm missing something!

Oh and I agree about Thelen. We'll see next year but i'm not giving up my hope.s..

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Frolov 6'3 said:
That's often the case when somebody is 2 years older, Sammy.
Tukonen, if he has excellent progression for two years, will basically be a winger version of Kesler. This would assume that Tukonen puts up point totals in the low to mid 30s in the FNL this year, comes over to North America the following year, and puts up around 30 goals and 60 points with Manchester. Tukonen and Kesler both have a similar upside: excellent second liners. However, Tukonen has a much higher bust factor. With Kesler, the bust factor is very small.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Sam said:
Tukonen, if he has excellent progression for two years, will basically be a winger version of Kesler. This would assume that Tukonen puts up point totals in the low to mid 30s in the FNL this year, comes over to North America the following year, and puts up around 30 goals and 60 points with Manchester. Tukonen and Kesler both have a similar upside: excellent second liners. However, Tukonen has a much higher bust factor. With Kesler, the bust factor is very small.
Tell me then, why has Tukonen a much higher bust factor ? He has great size and could still be used on the 3rd line when he doesn't live up to expectations.

Mr.Brownov*

Ladd ahead of Olesz?Does anyone agree with this?Seeing them both in the WJC you couldn't even compare the 2.One's a man the other is just a Ladd. :dunno:

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Frolov 6'3 said:
Tell me then, why has Tukonen a much higher bust factor ? He has great size and could still be used on the 3rd line when he doesn't live up to expectations.
Same thing was said about Jens Karlsson, and that's a guy who looked better in the 2001 development camp than he did at the 2005 development camp. Didn't follow the draft in 1997, but I'd imagine the same things were said about Matt Zultek. Even if these prospects have attributes that would enable them to excel in a bottom six as well as a top six role, they still have to develop their skills to an NHL caliber level if they want to play in a non-enforcer role in the NHL. I think that Tukonen will develop his skills to an NHL level, but there's certainly a possibility that he does not. Kesler, on the other hand, is a prospect that is penciled into the Vancouver's opening day line-up, much like Tim Gleason is penciled in for the Kings. Relative to Kesler, Tukonen does have a higher bust factor.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Why the hell is LeClaire up there for goaltenders? The guy has done nothing at all since he was drafted unless I'm missing something!

Oh and I agree about Thelen. We'll see next year but i'm not giving up my hope.s..

Hes been inconsistent and gotten injured.

And I agree with Kallio completely. Id rather have a prospect be underrated and undervaluaded then seeing him be overrated and bust. These are someones opinions. If someone wants to say Josef Melicher is better then both Exelby and Modry, hes entitled to do that. If someone wants to say Ryan Stone is a future all star, they can do that.

In the end, only the player can prove them right or wrong. No one else.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
jmelm said:
Ryan Whitney should not be on that list.

That's because he should be in the top 25 on the other one.

He got caught up in the numbers game. I truly believe that. With the Pens having 3 of the top 7, I truly think that all things being somewhat close, others from teams less well represented would move up in his stead. What does it matter? It does not make him any less of a prospect. His future depends on what he does, not these rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad