Hockey's Future Team Rankings

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Agree or Disagree with ranking?

25. (18) Edmonton Oilers

Strengths: Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, and Martin Marincin lead a deep group of defensive prospects for the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers have solid depth at forward, led by Leon Draisaitl, who should develop into a very good two-way center in the NHL. The system also has several big players with power forward potential including Bogdan Yakimov and Mitchell Moroz.

Weaknesses: The Oilers have not had a lot of recent success developing picks from the middle and late rounds of the NHL Draft. Edmonton has good depth in net, with Laurent Brossoit, Tyler Bunz, and Frans Tuohimaa all playing at the minor league level, but all are long shots to develop into quality NHL starters.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Darnell Nurse, D; 2. Leon Draisaitl, C; 3. Martin Marincin, D; 4. Oscar Klefbom, D; 5. Mitchell Moroz, LW.

Key Additions: Leon Draisaitl (2014), Iiro Pakarinen (free agent)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114245/team-rankings-deep-group-of-young-defensemen-raises-status-of-philadelphia-flyers-prospect-pool/

I would have thought they would move up from 18th with the addition of Draisaitl an no major subtractions...

Middle grouping:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114309/team-rankings-deep-pool-of-winnipeg-jets-prospects-lead-middle-group/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=team-rankings-deep-pool-of-winnipeg-jets-prospects-lead-middle-group

I see very few teams in there that I would swap prospect pools with. Am I just biased towards our prospects or did they underrate our prospect pool?

Update Top 10:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114569/team-rankings-rebuilding-buffalo-sabres-still-have-nhls-top-prospect-pool/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=team-rankings-rebuilding-buffalo-sabres-still-have-nhls-top-prospect-pool

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What a lot of people have to realize is how much luck is typically involved in how a player will turn out.

These ranking are shots in the dark from shots in the dark.

If Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse meet or exceed expectations there are obviously wrong.

Any of our goalies "could" come out of nowhere and become an NHL starter.

Our forwards have a very nice blend of size and skill and I think we would be very unlucky if one of them didn't turn into a solid top 9 player.

But from what our prospects have done to date I can't say we have THAT much better of a pool than most. They maybe shooting a bit low but overall I don't see us with a dominate prospect pool either. Middle of the row.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This is a good snapshot of the Oilers rebuild thus far.

We should be top 10. However, we aren't very capable of finding talent past 10th overall.

We don't have a plan for developing goaltenders.

This year is the first year where the AHL team has a primary emphasis on player development and not winning with meaningless veterans on AHL only deals.

I am starting to doubt our talent evaluation when we pick a useless goaltender in the 7th round with the reason given is (Well, we had to pick someone).

Another area for our wonderful management team to improve upon.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
What a lot of people have to realize is how much luck is typically involved in how a player will turn out.

If Marincin, Klefbom, and Nurse meet or exceed expectations there are obviously wrong.

Our forwards have a very nice blend of size and skill and I think we would be very unlucky if one of them didn't turn into a solid top 9 player.

But from what our prospects have done to date I can't say we have THAT much better of a pool than most. They maybe shooting a bit low but overall I don't see us with a dominate prospect pool either. Middle of the row.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying and Middle of the row (15th) would have been more accurate IMO than 25th. I don't see any team in the 11-30 ranking with a better 1-2 (1. Darnell Nurse, D; 2. Leon Draisaitl) [which should hold a lot more ranking value than depth prospects] our 3-4 (3. Martin Marincin, D; 4. Oscar Klefbom) are above average and I like our depth guys. I would have the Oilers prospects ranked in the top 10, but that might just be me.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

I don't think luck has much to do with it.

Some teams like Ottawa and Detroit consistently produces NHL talent.

Where most people are confused is in the quality. Most people think a scouting staff is a failure if they can't find a top line center, defenseman or goalie in the 6th round. That part is luck.

The reality is drafting is not an ends, its a means. The ends is the player development. In other words, what you do with your drafted players after you draft them is MUCH MUCH more important than what happens on draft day.

This is where it all goes wrong for the Oilers. Scouting is to simply identify what players has the best tools to work with. Your coaches in the minor leagues mold them into NHL players.

Its just like when your buying a car. You sit at your computer for hours comparing a Dodge with a Ford and a Toyota ect. you will eventually find a vehicle that fits your needs. But if for example Chevrolet didn't do a good job building the vehicle for you, all the cool features you wanted don't really matter when the car doesn't start or it stalls leaving you stranded on the highway.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Where most people are confused is in the quality. Most people think a scouting staff is a failure if they can't find a top line center, defenseman or goalie in the 6th round. That part is luck.

The reality is drafting is not an ends, its a means. The ends is the player development. In other words, what you do with your drafted players after you draft them is MUCH MUCH more important than what happens on draft day.

This is where it all goes wrong for the Oilers. Scouting is to simply identify what players has the best tools to work with. Your coaches in the minor leagues mold them into NHL players.

Its just like when your buying a car. You sit at your computer for hours comparing a Dodge with a Ford and a Toyota ect. you will eventually find a vehicle that fits your needs. But if for example Chevrolet didn't do a good job building the vehicle for you, all the cool features you wanted don't really matter when the car doesn't start or it stalls leaving you stranded on the highway.

Disagree.

If development was the key then out of the thousands of players drafted, some organization would have come up with the 'proper means' to develop them. That would mean that out of the 7-8 players drafted by those teams every year, most would become good players every year, which isn't the case.

I'd venture that most players drafted simply aren't cut out to be NHL players and you can try and teach them until you're blue in the face and it won't work.

Sometimes you have to trust that Toyotas will be better than the rest and keep drafting/trading for them.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Agree or Disagree with ranking?

25. (18) Edmonton Oilers

Strengths: Darnell Nurse, Oscar Klefbom, and Martin Marincin lead a deep group of defensive prospects for the Edmonton Oilers. The Oilers have solid depth at forward, led by Leon Draisaitl, who should develop into a very good two-way center in the NHL. The system also has several big players with power forward potential including Bogdan Yakimov and Mitchell Moroz.

Weaknesses: The Oilers have not had a lot of recent success developing picks from the middle and late rounds of the NHL Draft. Edmonton has good depth in net, with Laurent Brossoit, Tyler Bunz, and Frans Tuohimaa all playing at the minor league level, but all are long shots to develop into quality NHL starters.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Darnell Nurse, D; 2. Leon Draisaitl, C; 3. Martin Marincin, D; 4. Oscar Klefbom, D; 5. Mitchell Moroz, LW.

Key Additions: Leon Draisaitl (2014), Iiro Pakarinen (free agent)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114245/team-rankings-deep-group-of-young-defensemen-raises-status-of-philadelphia-flyers-prospect-pool/

I would have thought they would move up from 18th with the addition of Draisaitl an no major subtractions...

Middle grouping:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/114309/team-rankings-deep-pool-of-winnipeg-jets-prospects-lead-middle-group/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=team-rankings-deep-pool-of-winnipeg-jets-prospects-lead-middle-group

I see very few teams in there that I would swap prospect pools with. Am I just biased towards our prospects or did they underrate our prospect pool?

Completely agree, infact the bolded statement is being generous towards the Oilers.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta

I lot of truth in this post, our drafting has been underwhelming. I personally didn't care for the Musil and Moroz selections (just to name a couple) so early in their drafts but development has been the main issue. He have had many guys look good going into the AHL (Hamilton, Martindale, etc.) and never develop. I know this happens to most players turning PRO but it seems like we have a much worse success rate of devolving descent prospects in the AHL and turning them into NHL players. Most of our young NHL players have spent very little time in the AHL and the ones that have played 2+ years have not turned into NHL players.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Disagree.

If development was the key then out of the thousands of players drafted, some organization would have come up with the 'proper means' to develop them. That would mean that out of the 7-8 players drafted by those teams every year, most would become good players every year, which isn't the case.

I'd venture that most players drafted simply aren't cut out to be NHL players and you can try and teach them until you're blue in the face and it won't work.

Sometimes you have to trust that Toyotas will be better than the rest and keep drafting/trading for them.

You have to put players in a position to succeed. You have to have a plan to squeeze every drop of potential in your drafted players.

So when we are calling up a 27 year old ECHL player to take the place of Teubert (when Teubert was showing good signs) then we ask ourselves why he didn't progress.

Why hasn't Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Pitlick, Ryan Martindale, Tyler Bunz and so on haven't developed to their full potential. Are we simply just unlucky?

If it's simply luck. What's the point of spending money on a scouting staff. We might as well take a Hockey News magazine and pick 7 random players. Scouting would be an exercise in futility if that was the case.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I lot of truth in this post, our drafting has been underwhelming. I personally didn't care for the Musil and Moroz selections (just to name a couple) so early in their drafts but development has been the main issue. He have had many guys look good going into the AHL (Hamilton, Martindale, etc.) and never develop. I know this happens to most players turning PRO but it seems like we have a much worse success rate of devolving descent prospects in the AHL and turning them into NHL players. Most of our young NHL players have spent very little time in the AHL and the ones that have played 2+ years have not turned into NHL players.

The ones that didn't spend much time in the NHL (Hall, RNH, Yak) are starting to do well. The others, perhaps, were never going to make it anyway no matter who drafted them. Isn't it possible, because it happens on other teams too, that the players wern't going to make it anyway.
Drafting is a crap shoot and I don't for a second believe that Omark or Schremp would have become stars if they'd been 'developed' by someone else.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
You have to put players in a position to succeed. You have to have a plan to squeeze every drop of potential in your drafted players.

So when we are calling up a 27 year old ECHL player to take the place of Teubert (when Teubert was showing good signs) then we ask ourselves why he didn't progress.

Why hasn't Curtis Hamilton, Tyler Pitlick, Ryan Martindale, Tyler Bunz and so on haven't developed to their full potential. Are we simply just unlucky?

If it's simply luck. What's the point of spending money on a scouting staff. We might as well take a Hockey News magazine and pick 7 random players. Scouting would be an exercise in futility if that was the case.

I's say it's perhaps that they have been developed to their full potential. They simply aren't going to be good NHL players(to this point), which happens to thousands of players over many different organizations.

Sorry, there really isn't a good way to tell if a player isn't being developed properly or simply wasn't going to be a player to begin with.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I's say it's perhaps that they have been developed to their full potential. They simply aren't going to be good NHL players(to this point), which happens to thousands of players over many different organizations.

Sorry, there really isn't a good way to tell if a player isn't being developed properly or simply wasn't going to be a player to begin with.

You're missing the point.

The goal isn't to develop 15 1st line forwards, 6 top pairing defenseman and 2 starting goalies.

The goal is to produce NHL talent. Doesn't matter the role.

In a cap system it's important to have depth at all positions. This is where teams like Detroit, Boston, Ottawa excel.

When your a cap team, having a quality bottom 6 forwards like Darren Helm, or good bottom pairing D like Matt Bartkowski, or Condra and Stone.

All quality NHL players, all on cheap entry level or 2nd contract deals. This is what makes you a contender because it allows you to spend the money to a) Pay and keep your elite players or b) sign that top UFA to take your team to the next level.

This is why we can't waste picks on random shots in the dark. Identify players that can play certain roles. There are good defensive centers in juniors too!. Develop them by giving them playing time. Not sitting them in the stands while a 40 year old has-been or never-was scores 150 pts in the AHL. This doesn't help your young guys.

The Oilers aren't going to win anything being a cap team with Nikitin and Ferrence eating up 8 million in cap space. The Oilers aren't going anywhere with no organizational depth either.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
You're missing the point.

The goal isn't to develop 15 1st line forwards, 6 top pairing defenseman and 2 starting goalies.

The goal is to produce NHL talent. Doesn't matter the role.

In a cap system it's important to have depth at all positions. This is where teams like Detroit, Boston, Ottawa excel.

When your a cap team, having a quality bottom 6 forwards like Darren Helm, or good bottom pairing D like Matt Bartkowski, or Condra and Stone.

All quality NHL players, all on cheap entry level or 2nd contract deals. This is what makes you a contender because it allows you to spend the money to a) Pay and keep your elite players or b) sign that top UFA to take your team to the next level.

This is why we can't waste picks on random shots in the dark. Identify players that can play certain roles. There are good defensive centers in juniors too!. Develop them by giving them playing time. Not sitting them in the stands while a 40 year old has-been or never-was scores 150 pts in the AHL. This doesn't help your young guys.

The Oilers aren't going to win anything being a cap team with Nikitin and Ferrence eating up 8 million in cap space. The Oilers aren't going anywhere with no organizational depth either.

You're right..I must be missing the point. I can't follow you because you're all over the place...

Oilers have players like that..Arco is making $600k for pete's sake. We have Yak at his ELC who I'd rather have than Condra or Stone. JJ is making $950K..

You talk about wasting picks which is exactly what I was talking about..not developing players that will never make it anyway. You say identify them in junior..Wouldn't that mean scouting and drafting them?

And are you saying the Oil shouldn't have Klef or Marincin in the minors developing more but get rid of Ference and Nikitin and let the rookies play? Doesn't that go against what you're advocating with development?

Yeah, I'm lost....Carry on.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
The ones that didn't spend much time in the NHL (Hall, RNH, Yak) are starting to do well. The others, perhaps, were never going to make it anyway no matter who drafted them. Isn't it possible, because it happens on other teams too, that the players wern't going to make it anyway.
Drafting is a crap shoot and I don't for a second believe that Omark or Schremp would have become stars if they'd been 'developed' by someone else.

Most of the time this is true but not always. Young players need ice time and need to be in a proper role to succeed.

Pitlick/Hamilton needed 2nd or 3rd line AHL minutes instead they were often healthy scratched and 4th lined because for their first few years in the AHL the team had too many veteran players. Some players can overcome challenges and still succeed while others need a defined path.

If you took the approach that all players will either become NHL players or they won't and have no defined development path, your prospects success rate would be substantially lower. Prospects should be overdeveloped in the minors with adequate minutes, which the oilers have not done. When injuries occur call up the veterans until a prospect is ready for full time NHL duty leave him in the minors.

Winning in the AHL is important but giving your prospects suitable minutes is more important. The Oilers have finally moved more towards this way of thinking in the last few years, as they have less veterans and are more focused on development.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Most of the time this is true but not always. Young players need ice time and need to be in a proper role to succeed.

Pitlick/Hamilton needed 2nd or 3rd line AHL minutes instead they were often healthy scratched and 4th lined because for their first few years in the AHL the team had too many veteran players. Some players can overcome challenges and still succeed while others need a defined path.

If you took the approach that all players will either become NHL players or they won't and have no defined development path, your prospects success rate would be substantially lower. Prospects should be overdeveloped in the minors with adequate minutes, which the oilers have not done. When injuries occur call up the veterans until a prospect is ready for full time NHL duty leave him in the minors.

Winning in the AHL is important but giving your prospects suitable minutes is more important. The Oilers have finally moved more towards this way of thinking in the last few years, as they have less veterans and are more focused on development.

So I tend to agree with most of what you're saying.

My initial point was to say that we can't simply blame poor development for the Oilers situation. It's just as likely that they drafted really poorly and that most of their 'misses' would be the same on other teams.

I do believe we need a proper system of development. It's just not the be all to end all.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
You're right..I must be missing the point. I can't follow you because you're all over the place...

Oilers have players like that..Arco is making $600k for pete's sake. We have Yak at his ELC who I'd rather have than Condra or Stone. JJ is making $950K..

You talk about wasting picks which is exactly what I was talking about..not developing players that will never make it anyway. You say identify them in junior..Wouldn't that mean scouting and drafting them?

And are you saying the Oil shouldn't have Klef or Marincin in the minors developing more but get rid of Ference and Nikitin and let the rookies play? Doesn't that go against what you're advocating with development?

Yeah, I'm lost....Carry on.

I apologize if I am little all over the place. I'm typing on a touchscreen smartphone so i'm trying to be brief with my comments.

I need to add this. When talking about drafting and development. You have to go and look at the system as it was in the past not what it is currently today. Most of our UFA signings are due to the Oilers not being able to develop players properly. If we were able to draft and develop one more defenseman between the years 2003-2009 into a serviceable #5 defenseman we probably don't need to sign one of Ferrence or Nikitin. If we did a better job with some of the players mentioned in this thread. We probably wouldn't need someone like Purcell.

And most of my comments are directed to the players from the 2nd round to the 7th round. Every team is going to have players on ELC if they are 1st rounders. Usually they are the ones with the talent to quickly get to the NHL

Arcobello and Marincin are examples of players that we're developed well by the Oilers. However, they are the exception rather than the rule. Even a blind squirrel is going to find a nut one in awhile.

One of the best moves MacT made is buying the Condors and forcing OKC to play the young players. We are getting better at this development thing. However, we aren't there yet.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I apologize if I am little all over the place. I'm typing on a touchscreen smartphone so i'm trying to be brief with my comments.

I need to add this. When talking about drafting and development. You have to go and look at the system as it was in the past not what it is currently today. Most of our UFA signings are due to the Oilers not being able to develop players properly. If we were able to draft and develop one more defenseman between the years 2003-2009 into a serviceable #5 defenseman we probably don't need to sign one of Ferrence or Nikitin. If we did a better job with some of the players mentioned in this thread. We probably wouldn't need someone like Purcell.

And most of my comments are directed to the players from the 2nd round to the 7th round. Every team is going to have players on ELC if they are 1st rounders. Usually they are the ones with the talent to quickly get to the NHL

Arcobello and Marincin are examples of players that we're developed well by the Oilers. However, they are the exception rather than the rule. Even a blind squirrel is going to find a nut one in awhile.

One of the best moves MacT made is buying the Condors and forcing OKC to play the young players. We are getting better at this development thing. However, we aren't there yet.

Ok, fair enough. A lot of that I can agree with.

My 'complaint' was mostly around, what I perceived, as folks saying development was the main reason we are where we are. I agree that that is part of the reason but lean more to a poor draft system over the years and not finding those 'diamonds'.

No doubt it's a bit of all combined..poor drafting, development, trades, etc...

However, we can't go back so it's now up to MacT and company to 'right the ship' and he needs time to do so.

Hopefully it's a quick fix from here on..

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe that means we just didn't draft the right players..although Hall, RNH, Ebs, Yak, Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin..seem to be doing alright.

RNH, Hall and Yak were all first overall picks--falling out of a boat and hitting water aint that hard

Klefbom and Marincin are still developing and are questionable. Nurse we are hoping turns out to be as good as Peterangelo at this point in time. Ebs was in 08 and got a taste of the nhl in the fall of 2010 when he was 20.

When it comes to developing players out side of the first round we are damn well near hopeless.

in the last 20 years how many players taken after the first round have the oilers develop into good nhlers?

How many of these guys can you say--yep legit nhl or say 3rd/4th liners?
Martin Marincin
Anton Lander
Teemu Hartikainen
Linus Omark
Theo Peckham
Taylor Chorney
Danny Syvret
Rob Schremp
Liam Reddox
Colin McDonald
Jean-Francois Jacques
Zack Stortini
Kyle Brodziak (traded to minny before breaking out)
Troy Bodie (never played a game for the oiler)
Jarret Stoll (traded to the kings and broke out)
Matt Greene(traded to the kings and broke out)
Dwight Helminen (never heard of him but he played 27 games in the NHL)
Jussi Markkanen
Ales Pisa
Brad Winchester (traded after 80 games)
Alexei Semenov
Mike Comrie (yeah we got one here)
Shawn Horcoff (1998!!!!!0
Georges Laraque (1995)
Jason Chimera (did nothing in Edmonton but went elsewhere and did good)
Mike Watt

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Ok, fair enough. A lot of that I can agree with.

My 'complaint' was mostly around, what I perceived, as folks saying development was the main reason we are where we are. I agree that that is part of the reason but lean more to a poor draft system over the years and not finding those 'diamonds'.

No doubt it's a bit of all combined..poor drafting, development, trades, etc...

However, we can't go back so it's now up to MacT and company to 'right the ship' and he needs time to do so.

Hopefully it's a quick fix from here on..

I feel Arcobello is a little different case since I believe he was an undrafted NCAA free agent. He should be more AHL ready since he's older than a 20 year old stepping out of the CHL.

If we want to be simplistic. The reason we suck at development is that for a period of time we didn't have a farm system. (Sending Dubnyk to Hamilton for example) Then we had Tambo with a ''hands-off'' approach to our farm system. This allowed the owners of OKC to build a winner with guys like Josh Green, Ryan Keller, a 39 year old Bryan Helmer, Yann Danis and David LeNeveu in goal.

With MacT in charge look at the difference!

We have Broissoit and Tuohimaa spliting starts with Bachman. A+
Jordan Oesterle and Dillon Simpson playing all 11 games so far, Gernat playing in 10. A+
Khaira, Yakimov, Ewanyk and others playing in 75% of the games. A+

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't looked at the rest of the teams lists. But being quite far down wouldn't be a surprise to me.

Outside of our top 4 prospects do the Oilers realistically have a player that has better than a 50% chance at being a full time NHLer?

After Draisaitl the forward depth is abysmal. A whole bunch of guys that are going to be 3rd/4th liners in the AHL and probably never quite have what it takes to make it to the NHL in those same roles.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I haven't looked at the rest of the teams lists. But being quite far down wouldn't be a surprise to me.

Outside of our top 4 prospects do the Oilers realistically have a player that has better than a 50% chance at being a full time NHLer?

After Draisaitl the forward depth is abysmal. A whole bunch of guys that are going to be 3rd/4th liners in the AHL and probably never quite have what it takes to make it to the NHL in those same roles.

Pretty much all the teams listed 11-30 only have a few players with over 50% odds of being an NHler.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
our problem has been lack of high level vets, a quality coaching staff and minor league system.

Now we have a fairly quality minor league system playing the same type of system as the big club.

Our coaching staff has questions marks

We don't have high level vets

one day things might get figured out, i just hope the 1990 cup doesnt become like the leafs 1967.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad