HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Black Book and Final Rankings

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Mark Edwards, Jun 7, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Mark Edwards

Mark Edwards @MarkEdwardsHP

Dir of Scouting: HockeyProspect.com
    Home Page:
    No. In short, I think he's way more skilled than he gets credit for and makes players around him better.

CAD on our website (print on amazon.com is in USD)

This is correct.

Red Rocket likes this.
  2. DJB

DJB #MELNYKOUT

I concur. I believe in Tkachuk .

Thanks for the reply

Mark Edwards likes this.
  3. FinPanda

FinPanda Barkov #16

Student
    Good job.

I really would like to see your early 2019 ranking but I won't pay 50 dollars for that, so I guess I need to wait..

4. KMNRB

KMNRB Registered User

Just wondering, is the coupon code 'hfboards19' only valid for the Black book but not for the Draft Guide? Is there a coupon code for the Draft Guide as well?

5. Zaddy

Zaddy Retired.

Excellent answer, thank you for that.

One more question if I may: If Boqvist didn't have a concussion history, where would you rank him? Would he still be top5? How do you rate his on-ice performance this year?

6. Mark Edwards

Home Page:
    I completely understand, our book isn't cheap. We need to price it that way in order to do the job properly though. Gas prices are not getting any cheaper where I travel and I'm not Platinum Elite at Marriott for nothing. lol I chuckled to myself yesterday at a guy on twitter chirping me that I need to travel east of Quebec. At one point this past year I had seen Halifax (3 hour flight) 8 times and Mississauga (20 min drive) 3 times. Now not all 8 of those Halifax games were in Halifax but you get my point.

No it's only for the Black Book. We dropped the price to $34.99 with the new structure this year.

Probably would've battled it out for the 8 spot. Not so much liking him less as we started liking guys around him a bit more. Again, it was as tight in the top 3-8, 3-11 for us as I can remember.

I liked Boqvist at the combine. Nice kid.

CanuckCity, Zaddy and FinPanda like this.
  7. Ted Brown

Ted Brown Registered User

I really enjoyed your guys take in Nils Lunkdvist. He’s not talked about nearly enough as a 1st round talent. He’s really smart, a great skater, and he can move the puck exceptionally well. Just because he didn’t light it up offensively in the SHL doesn’t mean he doesn’t have offensive upside. He meets the 51% rule after all!

Which Swedes fit the 51% rule at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft?

JojoTheWhale likes this.
  8. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

@Mark Edwards -- since he did not participate in the Combine or get measured from what I understand, can I ask where you got your height and weight measurements for Quinn Hughes from?

Was it from another source you have, or is it just a guess?

9. Mark Edwards

Home Page:
    He's a fave of mine. Looking forward to seeing who grabs him.

We used the updated combine data if they were there ( I got the exact info that was listed in inches sent to me - we converted it to the exact measurement rather than rounding it like was posted on the combine boards) and we used NHL CS Final measurements unless they were not listed by central. Central guys have always been helpful to me going back to E. J. McGuire days. (He was a great man by the way)

So to answer your question, it was not a guess. It was also marked with an * indicating verified by NHL CS.

JojoTheWhale likes this.
  10. King'sPawn

King'sPawn Enjoy the chaos

@MarkEdwards, sorry as I'm sure you get bombarded with questions; first of all, thank you for your hard work. I'm nose-deep in it as much as possible and making sure I don't get hit in traffic ;)

I appreciate you sharing in the book how some scouts feel about Hughes declining to compete in the combine, but what I didn't see was any offer of an explanation from his end. Was there anything you heard about why he declined to compete in the combine that you are allowed (and willing) to share?

11. NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian Registered User

I'm another big fan of the Lundkvist ranking. He had a bit of a shaky U18's but by the end of the tournament was back to the Nils I know from Luleå.

Mark Edwards likes this.
  12. tigervixxxen

tigervixxxen Optimism=Delusional

I liked the anecdote on Fortier's great interview answer. I know you can't share what it was but was it a funny or introspective one that made it so great? He does sound like a super kid.

13. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    You guys are becoming my favourite personally.

14. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

For those of you who haven't purchased the Black Book before I highly recommend it. This year that Jets traded their 1st round pick so the draft is less exciting for me but I am still going to get the black book to support Mark and his team for the legit thorough work they do getting to the rinks and scouting.

Best publication in the business IMO.

15. Mark Edwards

Home Page:
    Print edition of our NHL Draft Black Book is now available on amazon

16. Mark Edwards

Home Page:
    Introspective would probably fit best but it went beyond that. Impressive kid.

Thanks for taking the time to write this and I appreciate you supporting our service.

MatthewFlames, tigervixxxen and ps241 like this.
  17. Maverick41

Maverick41 Registered User Sponsor

If I don't like it I'll blame you for convincing me to give it a try.

Just kidding of course. I am really curious and looking forward to dig into this. I ordered the print version and it will take some time until it'll be delivered to me here in Germany, but I prefer physical books over digital ones.

18. XXIV97

XXIV97 Registered User

I have a feeling that The Hockey Guy will probably be discussing some of your guys books. He loves reading hockey books and discussing them on his channel

19. Iceman

Iceman Registered User Sponsor

$55???

20. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

@Mark Edwards
    I like your rankings. Thank you for posting and taking the time to respond. I am interested in a comparison of these two if possible.
    18HAYTON, BARRETTSAULT STE. MARIEOHL6' 1.3"190 lbs *C
    19KUPARI, RASMUSKARPATFINLAND6' 1.5"189 lbs *C

21. Mark Edwards

Home Page:
    We have a whopping two weeks to sell the book (not even when factoring in shipping to some people) and Amazon takes over half of that $55.00 - I wish I could make it more affordable for everyone.

Actually had a scout call and wake me up at 7:30 am this morning (It's kind of an inside joke thing with this particular scout, we constantly try to get under each others skin etc.. long story..if u knew the scout it would make more sense ) anyway, first thing out of his mouth after saying "A good scouting service would be awake by now and would've heard my first call" second thing was "You have Hayton too low." - He actually compared Hayton to Bo Horvat. We both spoke about his skating, his concern was him being caught by back pressure. We both think he has those Horvat like qualities, smart, aggressive and he competes. We both agreed on his great shot although he thinks he has more elite skill than I do and I think his skating isn't quite as weak as he does. Round about way to answer you question on Hayton. He told me he's a lock for top 10 FWIW.

Kupari (I didn't talk about him with the scout this morning) is extremely skilled but doesn't have the hockey sense that Hayton does. I love the skill and he can skate but the hockey IQ is why he slipped for us. I value Hockey IQ number one so that gives you an idea why he slipped just behind Hayton.

That's the Coles Notes version.

Thanks for the compliment and for purchasing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    MatthewFlames and ps241 like this.
  22. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

Thank you!

Mark Edwards likes this.
  23. Iceman

Iceman Registered User Sponsor

Jeez, Amazon takes HALF? That's crazy.

Mark Edwards likes this.
  24. Menwithouthat tricks

Menwithouthat tricks Registered User

Home Page:
    I got the draft guide in PDF form and because of the Canadian/US currency translation, it was only $27, I remember last time I got the draft guide, prospects' write-ups were in ranking order, but now they're in alphabetical order, same as the Black Book. (I preferred them in ranking order, which made the draft guide easier to navigate, but at least the draft guide is back).

Other than the consensus top 9, many prospects are all over the place for other ranking services, so I spent up for this guide because I felt this guide employs more scouting resources and reflects the latest information (Combine results and late trends like Boqvist slipping). (Some in the top 9 sometimes slip to 10 or 11 when prospects like Kotkaniemi, Farabee, Veleno, Smith, and now Kravtsov sneak in, but anyone outside of the to 9 (starting with Ty Smith) can slip 10 or more spots depending on the guide)

Mark Edwards likes this.
  25. Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger Casmus Eichelainenhart

@Mark Edwards

Great book, just purchased it again yesterday and can't wait until it comes in. I used it all year using the 2018 previews.

Some questions:

- McIsaac. Do you see him putting it all together as he gets older, or using his skating, power, skill to transition to a more defensive oriented player in the NHL? I see the latter.
    - Drury. I think he rounds into a utility player who can slot anywhere you need him, a lot like his dad and uncle. Thoughts?
    - What do you think of McBain?

Thanks!