NHL Entry Draft: hockeynorths 2020 NHL Mock Draft (R1)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Having originally released my top 55 prospects for this draft August 13th 2019, I'll now do my 1st round mock draft.

1) New York Rangers - Alexis Lafreniere
The Rangers happily grab the consensus number 1 pick here, not too much to analyze, should be a cornerstone piece for them for the next decade plus.

2) Los Angeles Kings - Quinton Byfield
I think we will see LA strongly consider Stutzle here, perhaps even discuss a trade back to 3 to take him, but I can't see them passing on Byfield even with their glut of Cs. I think instead we will see Vilardi slide over to the wing and Byfield/Turcotte dominate as a 1/2 punch for a while to come.

3) Ottawa Senators - Tim Stutzle
Stutzle goes to Ottawa at 3 in hopes of landing a dynamic franchise changing forward, though whether he ends up as a winger or a centre remains to be seen. I do believe we find out Ottawa had some serious internal debate about which direction to take with this pick.

4) Detroit Red Wings - Cole Perfetti
Stevie Y takes the best pure offensive draft eligible OHLer at #4, setting up a dynamic tandem up front down the line with Larkin/Perfetti. A gamble in hopes of the next Mitch Marner. If Ottawa passes Stutzle in favour of a RD, I believe we see Stutzle go here.

5) Ottawa Senators - Jake Sanderson
The fall of Lucas Raymond has officially commenced, just as many sources end up predicting pre-draft. The Senators gamble Sanderson turns into a true shot down D. This pick becomes solid for Ottawa if unspectacular, even if its contested by some and loved by others on draft day.

6) Anaheim Ducks - Jamie Drysdale
Upon seeing Sanderson off the board, Anaheim wastes no time grabbing Jamie Drysdale to go back to building up a powerful blueline once again. "Drysdale to Zegras..." becomes a regularly called play on Anaheim power plays in the not too distant future.

7) New Jersey Devils - Lucas Raymond

The steal of the draft ends up in New Jersey at pick 7, fortunately preventing many pundits from claiming I told you so to him falling out of the top 10. Lucas Raymond becomes a star in New Jersey and many wonder how Ottawa missed him twice.

8) Buffalo Sabres - Alexander Holtz

As I had it at the start of the season (though in reverse order), where one Swedish terror twin goes, the other soon follows, and Holtz will follow Raymond to the state of New York acting as Jack Eichels winger of the future... of course, this assumes Jack Eichel is in fact in Buffalo in the future. Nonetheless, Buffalo is very happy to grab the best goal scorer of the draft here.

9) Minnesota Wild - Marco Rossi

Minnesota grabs a very "Minnesota" player in diminutive defensive beast Marco Rossi here. Rossi turns into a reliable top 6 C for Minnesota, though the better "Wild" European remains on the board. Many realize Rossis hype may have been a little much further down the line.

10) Winnipeg Jets - Anton Lundell

The Winnipeg Jets turn to Finland for their 1st rounder yet again, grabbing future Selke superstar Lundell at 10. Many analysts use Scheifeles injury to highlight Winnipegs need for another good C, and Lundell ends up filling that hole very soon. In the future Lundell climbs many re-draft boards dramatically, finishing solidly inside the top 5, ahead of all but one or 2 drafted ahead of him. The Finnish Era in Winnipeg is in full force.

11) Nashville Predators - Jack Quinn

Phillip Tomasino, meet Jack Quinn. As the two battle head to head in the OHL we see many arguing over which Predators prospect is in fact better. Without Rossi, Quinn stumbles but doesn't fall in Ottawa. Quinn goes lower however in a redraft.

12) Florida Panthers - Kaiden Guhle

Florida takes Kaiden Guhle at 12, overall a relatively "meh" pick. People start discussing two big names still on the board and Guhle quickly gets forgotten.

13) Carolina Hurricanes - Yaroslav Askarov

Carolina grabs the best goaltending prospect of the generation at 13, and everyone uses this as just another reason to show why Dubas must go. Askarov turns into an absolute beast for Carolina, and along with Svechnikov the Russian machine has begun in Raleigh.

14) Edmonton Oilers - Dawson Mercer

The Edmonton Oilers grab winger Dawson Mercer at 14 in an attempt to get McDavid some wing support. It mostly pans out with Mercer being a solid top 6 winger, though not the future star a falling winger ends up being.

15) Pittsburgh Penguins - Braden Schneider

On account of the Penguins horrid showing from their 3rd pairing in the playoffs, they decided that taking future 3rd pair mainstay Braden Schneider was a good choice, Just kidding, he gets touted as a future top 4 dman on draft day of course.

16) Montreal Canadiens - Connor Zary

Somewhat unexpectedly Les Canadiens grab Connor Zary at 16. Zary proves to be a decent pick and very in the future Canadiens mold. He becomes a very good NHL top 6er down the line.

17) Chicago Blackhawks - Marat Khsuditnov

Much like the late rise of Kravtsov and Denisenko in the past, Khsuditnov makes a late push thanks to the KHL starting early, and Chicago has no regrets with this pick. Tiny Marat turns into a very good future Blackhawk.

18) New Jersey Devils - Seth Jarvis

Yet again the Devils grab the big faller, and boy does Jarvis ever end up looking like a shrewd pick. Seth Jarvis turns into an excellent winger for the Devils, and much like Barzal and Connor in 2015, people wonder why he was even available.

19) Calgary Flames - Rodion Amirov

The Calgary Flames grab another great Russian in, Rodion Amirov at 19. This run of picks after selection #15 looks excellent in the future with Amirov becoming a fringe 1C.

20) New Jersey Devils - Justin Barron

The Devils grab steady dman Justin Barron at 20. This pick looks much worse compared to their previous two.

21) Columbus Blue Jackets - Dylan Holloway

Columbus grabs a solid heavy winger in Dylan Holloway at 21. He becomes a nice complement to their top 6 in their future.

22) Ottawa Senators - Hendrix Lapierre

With their 3rd first round pick, the Senators turn towards injury riddled Lapierre with pick 22. Lapierre presents a huge boom or bust pick that could go either way for the Send depending on injury.

23) Dallas Stars - Luke Evangelista

Dallas reaches to grab solid two way OHLer Evangelista at 23. Evangelista looks bad at the time but ends up being an excellent complement for Dellandrea in the future.

24) New York Rangers - Noel Gunler

The Rangers grab another winger, this time a boom or bust, very high skill winger in Gunler. Gunlers attitude issues prove to have been overstated and he turns into a very solid selection.

25) Vegas Golden Knights - Jan Mysak

Vegas grabs Mysak at 25. Mysak becomes a very controversial prospect in the season to come, some claiming he's going to be Vegas's first drafted star, others saying he will never make it.

26) Philadelphia Flyers - Mavrik Bourque
The Flyers grab a very high skill forward in Bourque at 25. Bourque has a very high ceiling but I feel never really comes close to it. Nonetheless, a solid gamble for a team that was so close to the Cup.

27) Washington Capitals - Ryan O'Rourke

The Washington Capitals take an excellent blue liner from the OHL at 27. O'Rourke is a very good blue liner at both ends of the ice and a bit of a throwback.

28) San Jose Sharks - John-Jason Peterka

The Sharks grab JJ Peterka at 28 in an excellent selection. Peterka helps lead the next generation of German hockey with Reichel, Draisaitl, Seider and co.

29) Colorado Avalanche - Helge Grans

Colorado goes D once again with pick 29, taking high risk Swede Grans. Helge Grans is polarizing in some feeling he'd be a steal even here, while others claim him to be a big reach. Many question why Colorado would go D again to which Joe Sakic responds, check back with me in 3 years, when my 3rd pair is better than most teams first pair. (Grans ultimately busts however)

30) St Louis Blues - Alexander Pashin

The Blues turn to Russia with pick 30. Many see this as evidence of the late draft hurting OHLers in comparison to Russians after the draft.

31) Anaheim Ducks - Jacob Perreault

Sam Steel, meet Sam Steel, but younger with a different name. Taken at 31 the Ducks steal highly skilled Perreault. Jacob Perreault shoots up draft boards a la Nick Robertson/Arthur Kaliyev by 2021, and every OHL fan says I told you so... to which they get told "size matters". Nonetheless, the Ducks walk away with two highly skilled OHLers.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Not all these guys are who I would take in those spots, but they are who I'm projecting to see taken.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I would die a little inside if the Sabres picked an inferior player and far worse fit in Holtz while passing on Rossi.

Good mock for the most part though, a lot of the picks would be the same as what I project

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I would die a little inside if the Sabres picked an inferior player and far worse fit in Holtz while passing on Rossi.

Good mock for the most part though, a lot of the picks would be the same as what I project
You know well I'm very low on Rossi and pretty high on Holtz in comparison to most, I think they would though having Cozens/Eichel as 1/2 and Holtz's goal scoring being enticing. I nearly projected them with Raymond then realized yeah no Jersey won't let Raymond by Raymond/Holtz/Rossi/Lundell could all be rearranged imo but these were my favourite fits.

Thanks

broc

Dec 20, 2010
13) Carolina Hurricanes - Yaroslav Askarov
Carolina grabs the best goaltending prospect of the generation at 13, and everyone uses this as just another reason to show why Dubas must go. Askarov turns into an absolute beast for Carolina, and along with Svechnikov the Russian machine has begun in Raleigh.

Um, it wasn't Dubas who signed Marleau to the exorbitant 3 year contract. That was Lou Lamoriello. This pick was the cost to get out of it, and be able to create desperate cap space. Blame Lou for this pick having to be traded, not Dubas.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Um, it wasn't Dubas who signed Marleau to the exorbitant 3 year contract. That was Lou Lamoriello. This pick was the cost to get out of it, and be able to create desperate cap space. Blame Lou for this pick having to be traded, not Dubas.
Lol I'm a leafs fan and a Dubas fan since the Soo, it was a joke about how Dubas will take heat regardless of why

OB5

May 2, 2015
I like Zary but if the Habs don't draft Jarvis if he's there at 16 everyone on that staff should be fired.

Reactions: habsfan92

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like Zary but if the Habs don't draft Jarvis if he's there at 16 everyone on that staff should be fired.

Same, but Pens at 15th.

I guess we do need RD but guys like Schneider tend to historically take time, and we also need skillful right hand forwards and those tend to be quicker. And be worth more when we inevitably trade the pick in a year. And fwiw the only rumours we've heard (Pronman) are that the Pens are interested in forwards, including Reichel - hockeynorth, any particular reason Reichel slipped through the 1st for your mock?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Same, but Pens at 15th.

I guess we do need RD but guys like Schneider tend to historically take time, and we also need skillful right hand forwards and those tend to be quicker. And be worth more when we inevitably trade the pick in a year. And fwiw the only rumours we've heard (Pronman) are that the Pens are interested in forwards, including Reichel - hockeynorth, any particular reason Reichel slipped through the 1st for your mock?
Only because I couldn’t find a good spot for him, it pained me to leave Reichel out but I felt one of the Germans or Perreault wouldn’t be in while making the list. Reichel just ended up being left when I got to pick 31.

Reactions: Peat

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The Senators are probably the least likely team to gamble on Sanderson. We have Chabot/Brannstrom/Wolanin already down the left side with a ton of prospects on the left too.

We are likely going to go with either the #1 RHD in Drysdale or the highly offensive Raymond

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The Senators are probably the least likely team to gamble on Sanderson. We have Chabot/Brannstrom/Wolanin already down the left side with a ton of prospects on the left too.

We are likely going to go with either the #1 RHD in Drysdale or the highly offensive Raymond
I was just going off reports some teams picking high really like Sanderson. NYR and LA don't make sense, so left DET and OTT in the top 5. I believe DET is very into Perfetti, so I went with Ottawa.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oh man habs fans are not gonna like the Zary pick.
Overall tho nice mock and write ups good job

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Oh man habs fans are not gonna like the Zary pick.
Overall tho nice mock and write ups good job
Like I said... not all were who I’d pick at each slot but rather who I project. I don’t mind Zary though at all.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
17) Chicago Blackhawks - Marat Khsuditnov
Much like the late rise of Kravtsov and Denisenko in the past, Khsuditnov makes a late push thanks to the KHL starting early, and Chicago has no regrets with this pick. Tiny Marat turns into a very good future Blackhawk.
JoyfulDisguisedIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Some of the defenseman ala Guhle, Schneider, and Barron seem like reaches IMO, I personally feel like this year’s class of defenders are pretty weak once Sanderson and Drysdale are gone. I like Quinn to Nashville, maybe would prefer Mercer a little bit since he can play center or the wing which is something Poile seems to like lol. Just as long we don’t reach on a defender, I’ll be happy. I would also be fine if we took Askarov maybe he can be a consistent goalie lol.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Some of the defenseman ala Guhle, Schneider, and Barron seem like reaches IMO, I personally feel like this year’s class of defenders are pretty weak once Sanderson and Drysdale are gone. I like Quinn to Nashville, maybe would prefer Mercer a little bit since he can play center or the wing which is something Poile seems to like lol. Just as long we don’t reach on a defender, I’ll be happy. I would also be fine if we took Askarov maybe he can be a consistent goalie lol.
I agree 100% the dmen are reaches, my mentality was that due to the weak D class some teams wouldn't gamble on missing their guy and would reach and take them instead, especially as others go off the board. I tried to anticipate GM reactions to previous picks.

Quinn seemed very Nashville-y with his goal scoring and him being from the OHL where they already had Tomasino, I think Mercer goes just a tad later but ends up better. I'm very low on the 67s however.

I would take Askarov as high as Ottawas pick #5.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad