Hockey won't be the same

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm excited for the new season, but I'm also sad. I know Teemu Selanne retired months ago, but I haven't been able to really understand it. Until now, when things are about to start, I realize Teemu isn't coming back. My three favourite players (Paul Kariya, Andy McDonald and Teemu Selanne) are now all retired which is depressing. I'll still enjoy hockey, but it won't be the same. Ever. :(

So before we welcome the new season, let's go back and remember the good times that will never come again.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
At least now we can say:'' agh, back in my time when Teemu still played..."

:sarcasm:

*cries*

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I agree on this, feels weird.

If I had to pick one moment, it would be this. So awesome.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Fantastic video. Great job, though it makes me feel really weird going into to the season. It feels surreal to think that we will not get to see number 8 to fly down from the right wing ever again.

My all-time favourite player, and man was he a good one :)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
photo.jpg

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Cool video. Not crazy about the song, but good video.

Man.. he and Kariya were something. My favorite part of that video for sure.

That video showed perfectly the step he had lost. His acceleration was just amazing back in the day.

I'm with you, he's my all time favorite player, and it's going to be different, but I'm glad he hung them up. It was a year too late IMO.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
Cool video. Not crazy about the song, but good video.

Man.. he and Kariya were something. My favorite part of that video for sure.

That video showed perfectly the step he had lost. His acceleration was just amazing back in the day.

I'm with you, he's my all time favorite player, and it's going to be different, but I'm glad he hung them up. It was a year too late IMO.

I am so thankful that I got to see Kariya/Selanne in person throughout my childhood. My uncle had season tix and would take me pretty often when someone in his family (he had 2 daughters) didn't want to go. Seeing them live was so much more amazing than seeing it on TV, you agree?

getzforfighting*

Selanne and Kariya were my guys. But I really think Getzy and Pears have filled the void nicely. We are lucky fans!

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
As an aside, it just dawned on me that relatively speaking, the Ducks are quietly becoming Swedenized, a trait that I had learned to associate with Red Wings in the past (ouch). Granted for years Teemu was the token Finn just as Sami remains today, but Teemu was always larger than life, equivalent to three of four mere mortals.

Surely for NA fans (or OC fans in particular) the nationality of the players couldn't be of lesser importance, but for us on the edge of the western world it has always been a nice touch. Ducks are not "just" Ducks, but a little bit of Finland's Ducks, due to Teemu in particular (without taking away anything from his compatriots).

Dang. This hurts.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Won't be the same for sure. Teemu has been my favourite player about 25 years. Even the Ducks don't feel to me same as before. Sure I will be a fan still and Ducks will be my nr. 1 team in NHL but it's not just the same.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Selanne and Kariya were my guys. But I really think Getzy and Pears have filled the void nicely. We are lucky fans!

I guess they have, especially if you're a younger fan. But Getzlaf and Perry are just five years older than myself, so I don't look up to them as much as I was looking up to Teemu and Paul.

And it's just gonna get worse. When Getzlaf and Perry retires the league will be filled with players 10-15 years younger than myself. I can't envision myself looking up to players that age.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
"Rucchin has Kariya...Kariya..to Selanne..to Kariya..they score!!!"

Nostalgia.

I'm sad right now

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It's going to be very strange to not see Teemu out there. Crazy to think we'll never see a guy jump on the ice wearing the #8 again for Anaheim. Won't truly hit home till today's game.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I am so thankful that I got to see Kariya/Selanne in person throughout my childhood. My uncle had season tix and would take me pretty often when someone in his family (he had 2 daughters) didn't want to go. Seeing them live was so much more amazing than seeing it on TV, you agree?

Unfortunately I never got to see them in person. I've actually only been able to see the Ducks live once. We only lived in the SoCal area for about a year before we moved, and we didn't exactly have extra spending money at the time.

However, I watched them all the time on TV, and they were truly incredible. They related to me a lot because they were so smooth and fast that it literally felt like watching a video game or something. I'll never forget the day Selanne was traded to San Jose. I was beyond mad. My mother actually wanted to take me to therapy about it because she couldn't believe I was taking it so hard. Lol, my dad convinced her not to, but that gives you an idea of how upset I was.

Getz and Perry have been great replacements though. They just aren't as "flashy" so it's quite as fun to watch as Kariya and Selanne use to be. I like our new duo just as much though. It's just odd having favorite players that are a year older then me.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I've seen two games live, both in Stockholm. Luckily I've been able to see all of Kariya, Selanne and McDonald. PK and AndyMac were with the Blues but still. :)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I guess they have, especially if you're a younger fan. But Getzlaf and Perry are just five years older than myself, so I don't look up to them as much as I was looking up to Teemu and Paul.

And it's just gonna get worse. When Getzlaf and Perry retires the league will be filled with players 10-15 years younger than myself. I can't envision myself looking up to players that age.

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm a fan of players who are much younger than me. I'm the same age as Crosby and was really weird seeing someone my age come in and dominate the NHL at 18/19 while I was an immature student getting drunk and skipping lectures all the time.

EverybodylovesSbisa

Jan 19, 2013
Thx Elvs for the vid.

It really feels weird to not have Teemu on the ice. He was the reason i catched fire when i've seen my first NHL game on Television. Though it was only a show that was broadcasted every sunday with little parts of the best plays of the week. I still see Kariya passing to Teemu back in 98', iirc.

Teemu will always be my hero. I thought i would never call someone my idol but Teemu is a true inspiration in any aspect. Will miss him very much and he will remain the best hockey player, for myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad