Advice: Hockey Stopping

alecvan11

Oct 17, 2018
Hi everyone,

After years of playing pick-up roller hockey I recently joined an ice hockey league and decided I should learn to skate the right way. In my efforts to learn to hockey stop the right way (inside edge/outside edge) I can stop no problem now but I'm finding that even at high speeds and getting low I'm not spraying as much ice as people half my size which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. Any advice or ideas as to why this is happening and/or how to fix it?
Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
If you can stop using both edges and on both sides, don't worry about the amount of ice you kick up or don't kick up. Just worry about practising and improving.

Even though you can execute the stop. It doesn't mean you're 100% comfortable with it yet. It takes time to develop your comfort level and be able to be in better control of your stops, not to mention the time require to develop your strength. Because, the amount of ice you kick up depends on the situation and need.

I mean if you're heading toward the bench for a line change, you may ease into a stop that takes several meters and kicks up almost zero ice. But if you're carrying the puck and trying to throw off a defender, you may stop on a dime and kick up a shower of it.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Hi everyone,

After years of playing pick-up roller hockey I recently joined an ice hockey league and decided I should learn to skate the right way. In my efforts to learn to hockey stop the right way (inside edge/outside edge) I can stop no problem now but I'm finding that even at high speeds and getting low I'm not spraying as much ice as people half my size which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. Any advice or ideas as to why this is happening and/or how to fix it?
Any input is appreciated. Thank you!
Its probably just how your skates are sharpened. Search on here for radius cuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad