Hockey Stick

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
Hey guys I am getting back into playing hockey after not putting on a pair ok skates for 12 years.

Just curious what is a good stick to start of with? Is it worth it to invest in a composite stick? Or will its benefits become only apparent when my game improves?

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The low end composites are really cheap, I'd recommend you start with one of them. I know Bauer has a very affordable low-end line.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I would pick up a shaft and wood blade. It will have much better feel and performance than a cheap stick.

What's your height/weight/strength level?
A good tip, plus you can play around with different blades/curves until you find something you like. I'd suggest:

Shaft:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SH6K10

Blade:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=B95WB

Of the available curves (only PM9, P88 or P92) I'd probably stick with the PM9 or P88. The PM9 is a bit flatter in general and more of a heel curve, while the P88 is decently big and a true mid curve. The P92 is a good curve too, but it's pretty open/weged, I'd probably stay with more closed curves till you get more comfortable and are really rolling your wrists as you shoot. For the shaft start with the 75 flex unless you're a really big/strong guy, it'll help you get the feel of using the flex in the stick to power your shots. Not sure how experienced you are from before you stopped playing, if you played a lot of hockey before and know that you like stiff sticks and a specific curve then just ignore this advice :)

Alternately, there's nothing wrong with a good wood stick, such as the Sherwood 5030. Definitely the cheaper option.

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
I am 6.0, between 155-160 pounds. I do expect my weight to increase as I lost some because of health.

As a university student I do not have a lot of money. So I will probably go either with the wooden stick or the cheaper composite bauer. Any good store in Toronto to pick up good second hand hockey equipment? Maybe if I save money there I can get the seperate shaft and stick.

Thanks for the help.

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
Buy a wooden stick. Until your skating skills really develop, you don't get the true benefits of a composite stick, and honestly, half the people I see at drop-ins and such don't know how to shoot properly, so a composite stick becomes useless anyways.

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
I am 6.0, between 155-160 pounds. I do expect my weight to increase as I lost some because of health.

As a university student I do not have a lot of money. So I will probably go either with the wooden stick or the cheaper composite bauer. Any good store in Toronto to pick up good second hand hockey equipment? Maybe if I save money there I can get the seperate shaft and stick.

Thanks for the help.

Contact me as I'm in Toronto & can probably help you out
[email protected]

GLG

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Thanks for the help.
Yeah, go for a wood stick, get one that's reasonably light and has a nice strong-looking fiberglass wrap around the blade. Make sure you keep the whole blade well taped, wood sticks suck once the blade starts to splinter, but good/regular taping can basically prevent that (get a nice, thick tape, I suggest Renfrew tape, not thin 3M tape which is garbage). The Sherwood 5030 is a real popular, it's light (for a wood stick), has a nice flex/feel, only drawback is that it breaks reasonably easily, but at your size/experience level you probably won't be shooting hard enough to have to worry about that too much.

For used hockey stores, I haven't lived in Toronto since I was 18, and haven't bought used gear since I was probably 15 or so, but I would normally go to Toronto Hockey Repair, they had a decent selection of used gear, but there might be better places out there. Also, you can sometimes find great deals on sites like kijiji and craigslist, not unusual to see people selling a complete set of equipment for $100 or so, though of course you have to get lucky and find someone with gear in decent shape in your size.

GoldenTriangle

Jan 15, 2011
Buy a wooden stick. Until your skating skills really develop, you don't get the true benefits of a composite stick, and honestly, half the people I see at drop-ins and such don't know how to shoot properly, so a composite stick becomes useless anyways.

This.

Also, a low end composite offers zero benefits over a wooden stick IMO, plus the better 'feel' from a wooden stick might help you get your stickhandling skills back quicker.

GoldenTriangle

Jan 15, 2011
A Sherwood 5030 seems like it would fit the bill, although I'd stay away from the Coffey curve as it's pretty huge.

Agreed, it's really a great stick for what it is. And yeah, the Coffey curve is nuts, the Stastny or Ryan curve would be a good choice.

I'm playing pickup tonight with some old high school teammates, gonna bust out the 5030 myself. :nod:

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
Just curious; how is the Sherwood 7000 PMP featherglass? I currently own one for my wrong side. Or would just a wooden stick be better?

What about the sherwood RM7?

On a different topic; any suggestions for good skates? The onces I own probably will not withstand a puck.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
Just curious; how is the Sherwood 7000 PMP featherglass? I currently own one for my wrong side. Or would just a wooden stick be better?

On a different topic; any suggestions for good skates? The onces I own probably will not withstand a puck.

I'd just start with wood sticks until you figure out what you like. You don't want to buy an expensive stick and realize you hate it. I'm just getting into playing ice (haven't played roller since I was a pre-teen) and I'm using the 5030 with the Coffey curve and I love it but as others have said the curve is ridiculous.

Skates really depend on your foot type - different brand and styles cater to different foot styles. Get in to a pro shop and have them fit you for skates there - just make sure you buy there if they take the time to accommodate you. I didn't have a skate shop around here to try skates on so I had to tell people my foot type (narrow heel and regular foot width) and one poster suggested the Stealth series so I ended up getting Easton Stealth S9's for < $150.

GoldenTriangle

Jan 15, 2011

Sherwood RM7 is a good stick, I used to use one (Ryan curve PP09). Although I do agree with blokey's advice.

As far as skates I personally wear Graf 703's but the best thing to do is go to a shop and try on a ****load of different skates to see what fits the best, also go to a shop where the person fitting you knows what they're doing.

Since I can't recommend what will fit the best for you, I can at least recommend brands that will hold up and give you lots of life out of your skates. Look to Graf, Bauer and CCM, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad