Hockey stick wax

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
yes but some people use candle wax, it's a personal preference.

Hockey wax is really soft and meant to remain somewhat sticky in the cold(think cold water surf board wax). Harder waxes don't stay sticky in the cold(think warm water surf board wax). Both will lengthen the lifespan of the tape but one will remain "stickier" than the other.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
friend of mine used a scented candle last night on his stick. best idea ever ! keeps the bag smellin fresh and uh, in his case, gives you something to smell on the bench :)dunno: )

Don't go blowing good money on wax imo. i don't think you'll notice the difference. But the diff between using none over any is huge to me, tape would come off right away.

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
I actually prefer the candle wax over the crap you can buy in pro shops - it's just too thick and comes off in clumps. Depends on the brand though.

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
My dad works with somebody who went to a Bruins game and he got a warrior shaft used by Mowers and it was waxed and, quite frankly, I notice no difference.

Cristobal

Jan 29, 2004
Wax

During the New England Sports Network TV Show "Be A Bruin" with Johnny Bucyk and Terry O'Reilly, Bucyk was seen talking to one of the kids who was working on his blade. When the kid pulled out the wax for the blade, Bucyk made fun of him for using wax. Personally, I've never used it, as it seems you don't want the puck to slide OFF your stick most times. I was happy to see The Cheif have my back on this, since nearly all my buddies wax their sticks too.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
the wax is somewhat sticky and keeps the ice from eating your tape away. Instead of the tape lasting 2 periods it lasts 2-4 ice times. Regular cloth tape without wax has less friction than tape with wax. Don't knock it till you try it.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I also take a little wax and rub it on the blade before apply tape. Makes it a bit easier to pull off once you need to retape. And if your worried bout the puck sliding off the stick, which doesn't quite make sense to me, then only wax only a small portion of the blade.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
If you have some time to kill and like doin random things with your sticks, melt the wax in a couple times and keep re-applying. Do this with a heat gun when I'm bored, I think the effect lasts a little longer in terms of keeping snow off.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I apply wax and melt it into the tape twice. I add a LOT of wax to the bottom of the blade on the first pass of the wax/heat gun treatment. It makes the tape last forever, seriously before I started using wax the tape would be done by the 3rd period... right now I'm on my 6th ice time with the same tape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad