Hockey stick debate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SedinFan*

ricknashfan_61 said:
wood or composite.and why,,,
also what type of stick do you use?

I've used a composite before, and it's tough to get a feel for the puck in my mind. Recieving a pass isn't nearly as simple as a wood stick, but over time I did get used to it, took me an hour or so to get the 'hang' of it.

I mostly use wood sticks. I recommend the CCM Vector stick, it's good, got some decent whip to it, easy to handle, good overall stick.

I use wood sticks basically because of the cost.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bruins4Ever said:
That's cool, I had no idea. Do you personally like them? I think it's the best total of $90 I've ever spent, they're really nice sticks.
i liked the ones ive tried. im gonna get one soon, since they're local they half sponsor (give sticks at cost) a couple of the roller teams i ref and know - ill get one of their onepieces for about half price. they base most their patterns of easton so ill probably try the modano, which i like anyways. i always thought of them as roller sticks, but ive seen some people use them recently on ice and they liked them. ill try it out when i get one - they dont look especially durable. how long have you had yours? if i can get them cheap and i like them ill probably keep using them.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I've had:

2 Easton "Gold" Grip Synergy from like 2001. Great great stick, 110 flex.
Easton Synergy Si-Core- nice stick, broke after 4 months
Bauer Vapor XX- using it now, scored a hat trick this morning with it, great great stick
Easton Stealth- got on when it first came out and it is so ridiculously light but broke on the last day of the warranty so I sent it back and it's with easton right now

I prefer the Vapor XX to all the sticks there, although the Si-Core was great and the stealth is good, but it feels flimsy and therefore IMO is not great on one timers unless you have EXTREMELY strong wrists.

Composite all the way. Bauer Vapor XXX will be the next stick I buy but that may not be for 6 months or so.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Hmmm, ive used almost every type of stick from the aluminums to the wood and the One Piece sticks..

Wood Sticks tend to break fast, not so much the shaft but the blade wears down real quick.

Composite Shafts like the Ultralite are great sticks but again buying a blade every 2 weeks gets annoying and pricey since a regular wood blade cost about 20 bucks and if you go through 7 blades a season, thats already more than $140 bucks.

One Piece Sticks i think are the best sticks, one the blade lasts you for a good 3/4 of the season, two the stick is light and usually doesnt wear down too quick and lastly you can buy a solid one piece stick now at about $100 as opposed to buying a wood stick where you will have to replace it every so often as it breaks.

I've had 3 One Piece Sticks now in the past 2-3 years and my favourite out of the Original TPS, Easton Synergy Grip(Gold) and the TPS Rubber has to be the Easton Synergy, its a great buy.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bruins4Ever said:
I've had mine for aprroximately 2 months. No problems yet. Modano has a version? I had no idea, I might have got that one if I'd known. :dunno:
the modano isnt called that - its called the heel curve 3/8ths or something like that. if your at a store - just grab a easton modano and compare it, it will be pretty obvious.

hotgoalie11565

Jun 5, 2004
Farmington, Minnesota
Right now for goal sticks I use a Bauer 7000 Cujo pattern. My backup is a Sher Wood 9950 Thibault pattern. Both are foam injected sticks. These have lasted me a lot longer than any wood stick I've used. They also seem lighter to me.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Wood is the only way to go. Composite blades have little "feel" to them, and make it very difficult to catch a pass, shoot, pass, stickhandle, etc. But they look good, I guess, to some people!

I currently use Sher-Wood PMP 5030's, because they last about 15 games or so, and cost $22 American (if you know where to shop!). Compared to a one-piece stick at $190 that will break inside of one season. I play 4 times a week, so a one-piece wouldn't be very worthwhile. I can buy 8 wood sticks for the same price, but 8 wood sticks will last me almost 2 seasons, PLUS they are better for playing defense (blocking shots, whacking at the puck, etc.). I also have a 2-piece aluminum/graphite shaft, but don't really like it much. It's WAAAYYY too much bother having to change blades that often, because they break quicker than a wood stick does, and blades cost the same ($21), plus you have to buy and carry a heat gun in your bag, etc.

I also have a new Christian Bros. wood stick that feels AWESOME. I will use it in a game for the first time next week. But I grew up with Christian sticks, and love them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
I also have a new Christian Bros. wood stick that feels AWESOME. I will use it in a game for the first time next week. But I grew up with Christian sticks, and love them.
thats actually a harrow stick - they bought christian a year ago.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I use a Bauer Peca model wood and a Branches stick. Right now I'm not in a league, and rarely get to open hockey. I just shoot around once a week when I coach.

I'm sticking with wood for now because I'm broke. I've borrowed some of my player's comp sticks in practice though. I agree with the statement made that it;s harder to get a feel of the puck.

I try and get my players to use a wood stick. I've noticed that some kid's can lift it easier and it's harder for them to play with their stick on the ice.

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
next stick

Composite sticks are a lot better and they make a noticable difference in the shot, people who say wood are better probably haven't even tried composite yet. I started with a tps response but it snapped after 5 months, I then bought a vector v110 and it is great nad has lasted me over a year and a half and gives me a great shot. I am thinking of getting a new stick and I'm considering the vapor xx or waiting for vapor xxx but that would cost too much. What stick should I get now?

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
I've generally been using one-piece sticks as of late.

However, after my last one broke, I decided to go a different route.

The last 3 one-pieces I had all broke somewhere on the blade. So just cut the blade portion off and BAM!...you have a shaft. Now I have 3 perfectly fine shafts that I am going to be putting blades in.

I've done this in the past and it works well. You can't even tell that the shaft is a broken one-peice.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The few times I am on ice I don't really need a stick. Usually use a 20-years old Koho that is great for slapshots and slashing.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've never used a Vapor XX, I'd be hella scared to make plays with a stick so expensive.

Right now I got a Vapor 6 shaft, and its the first composite that I've used. I'll probably never go back to wood, after experiencing a composite. I want to try a one piece though, and SportChek has the CCM Vector 10s for 79.99 CDN, not a bad price at all (at least for a one piece... Still pricey for a stick in general :madfire: )

The Major

Feb 13, 2003
edm.ab.ca
Visit site
I've been using an Easton "Typhoon" Composite for the last year, and I absolutely love it. I've been using Easton Aluminum shafts since I was about 12, and I finally switched to a SR shaft last year. I definately wouldn't go back to wood.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I play ball hockey and I play left wing, I usually stickhandle a lot. I can't use a wood stick i usually use Composite Nike or Easton, I find it very light and easier to stick handle with it. My shot also is better with a composite.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I have an Easton cyclone with a wooden blade. Its a Recchi pattern. Its lasted me over a year but then again I'm very light (5'7" 140lbs). It would take a lot for me to break it, but my shot is just as hard as everyone else's.

Zetterberg4Captain*

I just got a vector a week ago and I have to say it is amazing!

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to say the same thing about my Vapor XX I bought a week ago. It's thinner and feels better than the original Vapor XX's. It's Lindros right handed Pro Stiff 112 flex. It's awesome. I have no idea why Bauer would even bother coming out with a Vapor XXX.

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
I'd have to say the same thing about my Vapor XX I bought a week ago. It's thinner and feels better than the original Vapor XX's. It's Lindros right handed Pro Stiff 112 flex. It's awesome. I have no idea why Bauer would even bother coming out with a Vapor XXX.

Marketability. Revenue. Lack of R+D. Laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad