Hockey Prospectus 2010-11

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Just picked up my copy, and it's tremendous. It really reminds me of the old Bill James Baseball Abstracts, with the detailed team-by-team commentaries and player evaluations.

Mentioning it in the history forum because I think that we tend to appreciate these sorts of things more here.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, I got a copy too. It's very well done, especially for a first effort. I thought the team and player commentaries were extensive and and interesting.

I'd like to see them take a page from Bill James and include a history piece or two. But maybe that will come in future years. I expect they were focusing on the core of the book this time, and it's very good.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I'd agree - I would love to see the historical aspects expanded in future edition.

My belief is that there was so much of the "nuts and bolts" which had to be handled in time to get the book published before the season opener, and that there will be more historical dalliances next year.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I'm also flattered to be called a "goalie guru" at the top of page 320; that was a very pleasant surprise. I've really got to get these actuarial exams out of the way (two left!) so that I can do some more heavy lifting on my site and the corresponding research.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Can American Amazon ship to Canada, or does it just shunt you over to that site?

It seems like the type of book that would be available at good bookstores in Canada (I'll leave the term "good" undefined for now :laugh: )

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Can American Amazon ship to Canada, or does it just shunt you over to that site?

It seems like the type of book that would be available at good bookstores in Canada (I'll leave the term "good" undefined for now :laugh: )

They can ship to Canada, but it won't qualify for free shipping... it's always annoying when I can only get something from amazon.com. I certainly didn't expect that when buying a book about hockey!

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Trying to think of historical projects which could be done with the body of work HP has created...

(1) What if VUKOTA were used for past players at points in time, and then you could see which players "exceeded expectations" by the most (or the opposite)?

(2) If you have VUKOTA, then you necessarily have some sort of similarity scoring. It would be interesting to be able to say "based on his career to date, Chris Drury's most comparable historical counterpart is Player X".

More ideas?

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
Hey guys,

On the amazon.ca stuff, here is Dave Pease's comment on the matter and I'd trust him before me on Prospectus administrative stuff :)

We've gotten questions about the book's availability on Amazon.ca. We expect the title to be available there, and have asked them to stock it, but we don't know when that will happen. If you're ready to buy, you may want to drop them a line and ask for it.

Also for those who want more info on the book, plus samples here is a good place to start:

http://www.puckprospectus.com/products/hp2010/

Hope you enjoy.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Corey, good to see you on here - I didn't know that you had an account!

I'm really enjoying the book so far. Any ideas for historical projects that could make it into future editions? I'd love to get involved someday (once my last two actuarial exams are done :( - jobs before hobbies, right?).

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
Corey, good to see you on here - I didn't know that you had an account!

Yes I do, unless I don't, in which case someone is posing as an imposter and in that case, we got a whole other issue on our hands.

I'm really enjoying the book so far. Any ideas for historical projects that could make it into future editions? I'd love to get involved someday (once my last two actuarial exams are done :( - jobs before hobbies, right?).

Iain Fyffe is the major "historian" on the squad so I'd approach him and I anticipate you have his contact info. To the best of my knowledge we haven't discussed next year yet. I mean this book just launched a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure my colleagues want a breather.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

Sorry for not replying sooner - in the process of moving. Big headache.

I generally avoid buying from Amazon.com - too many headaches and errors to make it worth it. I'll start looking for it in a bookstore.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
...and already sold out! haha

Ya Dave Pease addressed that on the site,

Good news--Hockey Prospectus 2010-11 is now listed at amazon.ca, and they're even discounting it. The book is currently listed as out of stock on Amazon.ca, but they're accepting orders and will get you an estimated delivery date if you order. Click here to have a look or place your order.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry for not replying sooner - in the process of moving. Big headache.

I generally avoid buying from Amazon.com - too many headaches and errors to make it worth it. I'll start looking for it in a bookstore.

Really? What about amazon.ca? They have been phenomenal with me.

Ya Dave Pease addressed that on the site,

Good news--Hockey Prospectus 2010-11 is now listed at amazon.ca, and they're even discounting it. The book is currently listed as out of stock on Amazon.ca, but they're accepting orders and will get you an estimated delivery date if you order. Click here to have a look or place your order.

Ahh, good news. Yeah, I placed an order despite it saying out of stock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad