OT: Hockey Players + High Altitude Training

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a leaf player or a player in general who during the off season did their off ice training in high altitudes? Seems like it would be a better overall workout than say at sea level and would really push your fitness level to new heights.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
It would probably not be a good idea.
With the decrease in oxygen you would not be able to work out as hard and build muscle.

I'd much prefer they train at sea level and work on explosiveness than train at altitude and work on cardio

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
Hockey players probably spend alot of time Hyperbaric chambers... And/or are taking epo... Which i'm not sure is tested. They train incredibly hard, but their endurance these days is out of this world.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a leaf player or a player in general who during the off season did their off ice training in high altitudes? Seems like it would be a better overall workout than say at sea level and would really push your fitness level to new heights.

I see what you did there.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
My human physio prof said that training in heights is misleading. What you're supposed to do is live in a high altitude place and train at sea level.

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's much point in training at a high altitude unless you're planning on blood doping.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Hockey players probably spend alot of time Hyperbaric chambers... And/or are taking epo... Which i'm not sure is tested. They train incredibly hard, but their endurance these days is out of this world.

I am not judging their training I was just wondering if any one did it. I mean Michael Phelps did it pre Olympics and Lance Armstrong (Lol) Did it when recovering from an injury so wondered if any Hockey players tried it out and seen results.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
High altitude training is great for building stamina. Your body's forced to produce and work under much more pressure and less oxygen. But i don't think that would really help so much in hockey. It's not like football, basketball, mma, soccer etc. where players take part in long shifts that require you to have strong stamina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad