Hockey player with the thickest Canadian accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Just got back from a shopping weekend with the family to North Dakota (Grand Forks and Fargo ) let me tell ya...I don’t know if I have a Accent but wow The North Dakota accent is truely a unique one...cross between Ned Flanders and a character from the movie Fargo

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don’t get the Canadian accent at all.. I find that Minnesotans have the thickest and most usual cases of the “Canadian Accent”... They’re not even Canadians. If your a Winnipeger who travels to North Dokata and Minnesota quite often you will know what I’m talking about.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The "stereotypical" Canadian accent is the Newfie (Newfoundland) accent. Most of us don't have that accent. Hell, there's even variations in accents across the whole nation, but they're definitely not as funny to foreigners as the stereotypical one.

The stereotype is that we pronounce "about" as "aboot", which though hilarious, is wildly inaccurate.

Ahem.

Reactions: LeafGrief

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The "stereotypical" Canadian accent is the Newfie (Newfoundland) accent. Most of us don't have that accent. Hell, there's even variations in accents across the whole nation, but they're definitely not as funny to foreigners as the stereotypical one.

The stereotype is that we pronounce "about" as "aboot", which though hilarious, is wildly inaccurate.

The stereotypical Canadian accent is very, very different from the Newfoundland accent. The "aboot" thing I've never gotten though.

Working at a call centre for a few summers, it was strange that most people in USA seemed to assume that the person they were talking to came from the same area as them and shared an accent. One sound in particular consistently threw this off though - "ouse". For instance house or spouse, for a lot of the Canadian callers the Americans couldn't understand those words. The Canadians took to saying "howse" and "spowse" instead of the typical Canadian way. Another difference I consistently notice is with the a sound in words like "Mario". I find that Canadians typically say it like "mare - io" but Americans say "marr - io".

Canada is far too big to have anything close to a consistent accent (listen to a Newfoundlander talk to a British Columbian for instance or consider various American accents) but Babcock seems to be a good pick. Strangely Lidstrom had one of the most Canadian sounding accents I can recall. Scott Hartnell too.

Reactions: LeafGrief

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
What are those small variances that are a dead give away?

It's hard for me to explain but it's there. For the most part, it's easier to pick out the people from Ontario compared to Western Canadians but after a little while, the Western Canadian will "give it away" so to speak. There's just a certain way they sound that is so subtle. Determining Sara Olesky's nationality would take a few minutes of listening to her (Western Canadian) but there's no denying she is in fact Canadian just by how she sounds when she says certain things.

Canadians from Ontario say aboot, owt, organeyezation among other words, it's more pronounced. Of course, they probably don't think they have an accent just like I don't think I have an accent but if I were to go to say England, they would say I have an accent and vice versa. Watching a hockey game and listening to a guy talk, if he didn't have an obvious european name, for the most part, I can tell who's canadian and who's american without looking at their place of birth. It's the sublteties

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
watch and consume american media

canadians in urban cities sound the exact same

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's hard for me to explain but it's there. For the most part, it's easier to pick out the people from Ontario compared to Western Canadians but after a little while, the Western Canadian will "give it away" so to speak. There's just a certain way they sound that is so subtle. Determining Sara Olesky's nationality would take a few minutes of listening to her (Western Canadian) but there's no denying she is in fact Canadian just by how she sounds when she says certain things.

Canadians from Ontario say aboot, owt, organeyezation among other words, it's more pronounced. Of course, they probably don't think they have an accent just like I don't think I have an accent but if I were to go to say England, they would say I have an accent and vice versa. Watching a hockey game and listening to a guy talk, if he didn't have an obvious european name, for the most part, I can tell who's canadian and who's american without looking at their place of birth.
I am from western Canada and the way you can tell I am Canadian us that I don't have an accent.
BTW I have never heard anyone in Canada say aboot.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Canadians from Ontario say aboot, owt, organeyezation among other words, it's more pronounced. Of course, they probably don't think they have an accent just like I don't think I have an accent but if I were to go to say England, they would say I have an accent and vice versa. Watching a hockey game and listening to a guy talk, if he didn't have an obvious european name, for the most part, I can tell who's canadian and who's american without looking at their place of birth. It's the sublteties

Canadians from Ontario say aboot? I’m going to have to disagree on that one.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
As others have said, there's no such thing as a Canadian accent but rather many different regional accents. I grew up in a small town in Northwestern Ontario. My dad was from another small town an hours drive away. When we'd go there to visit family, my brother and I and our cousins would all be busting each other's balls about how people from our towns spoke. And that's only 100 km (60 miles) apart.
Yes there is a Canadian accent. There are different regional accents for every single country, not just Canada.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not a player but I notice a heavy Canadian accent on Bryce Salvador the Devils rinkside analyst

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
ok abowt. It's definitely there. It's much different than the way us Americans say about. Ontarians, don't be spies in the U.S. cause you guys give yourselves away.lol.

That's ok...you guys in Bawhston wouldn't be great spies either ;)

George Carlin has taught me well. "He had a haaaadaatack". Lol.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
it's like abowt. Then there's the way you guys say house. out. It's definitely there. PRO-CESS. Oh-fense.

You Americans have your little "isms" in the way that you speak too.

Pajamas - "Pawjamas"

Roof - "Ruff" ...What are you, a f***ing dog?

Presentation - "Preeesintation"

Process - "Prawcess" * I say it like this as well.

Defense - "D-fence"... You're guilty of the same Oh-fense :)

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Watch this video , specifically the end where the coyotes are shaking hands with the twins .. you can easily tell which coyotes are Canadians .. eh....

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Best ones the newfies imo, nothing like it. This is a great video explaining the accent, and the variations.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
You Americans have your little "isms" in the way that you speak too.

Pajamas - "Pawjamas"

Roof - "Ruff" ...What are you, a ****ing dog?

Presentation - "Preeesintation"

Process - "Prawcess" * I say it like this as well.

Defense - "D-fence"... You're guilty of the same Oh-fense :)

Much like Canada the accents vary by region. I'm always making fun of the southerners for how they talk. Southerners make fun of the yanks. It is kind of interesting to me how that came to be.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Much like Canada the accents vary by region. I'm always making fun of the southerners for how they talk. Southerners make fun of the yanks. It is kind of interesting to me how that came to be.

That's actually a good question. How did New Yorkers, Bostonians, Texans etc. develop their respective regional accents?

I know the Ontarian accent was loosely derived from the Scots and Irish who migrated here in the 1800's. But I don't see that same pattern in certain areas of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad