Hockey is for everyone night.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
I just saw on the Coyotes Facebook that they are having a hockey is for everyone night in partnership with the You Can Play initiative. Just going through the comments on the post, it seems some people are very angry about it, some even saying they will sell their tickets for that game as they don't want to go. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this night? Not trying to get too political here. It seems like the Coyotes are trying to get a lot of different people in this season with different promo nights.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I just saw on the Coyotes Facebook that they are having a hockey is for everyone night in partnership with the You Can Play initiative. Just going through the comments on the post, it seems some people are very angry about it, some even saying they will sell their tickets for that game as they don't want to go. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this night? Not trying to get too political here. It seems like the Coyotes are trying to get a lot of different people in this season with different promo nights.

Was it ever not for everyone? :dunno:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The thing that drives me crazy is how such a large chunk of the populace mistakes basic human decency for "politics." If indeed there are Arizona hockey fans who are angered by You Can Play or any initiative that encourages people to play the game without worrying about people judging them for it for any reason, then I hope to god this team gets relocated somewhere where people aren't as flat-assed stupid. :rant:

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm under the impression that the "hockey is for everyone" movement is mostly catered to mentally and physically handicapped kids?

Why would people be mad about that and sell their tickets?

EDIT: Read the facebook post. I guess it's pandering to the LGBT community. Thats all good, as long as it isn't over-done. As someone on the FB post said, they have "Faith and Family nights". I've never noticed the faith nights, which is exactly how it should be.

I feel like professional teams should try to avoid politics and religion as much as possible.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I feel like professional teams should try to avoid politics and religion as much as possible.

In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter, because people wouldn't be so wrapped up in giving a crap about what others believe or who they are. The idea that anyone should be prohibited from enjoying or playing a game because they're not the right kind of person just infuriates me, as much because of my kids as for any overarching philosophy I have.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Trust me, if you've played minor hockey, there's no debating this is necessary. Even if it weren't, no need for people to be angry.

I also think that the Hockey Is For Everyone initiative is partnered with USA Hockey to try to get less affluent kids to start playing and be able to play.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Thats the great thing about having a season ticket and going to every game.
I never watch the video board, I never watch Jill play those games with the fans, I never know when give away nights are until I line up an hour and 15 before the gate opens and see a couple of people in Coyotes gear already there that I never see except when its give away night...
All the games just blend in and you just want to watch the game..
Ive only met one other person that gets mad when those beautiful young girls come out wit the shovels....
But, even interruptions like that make me mad..
Hockey is for everyone night?
It could be National Potato Week Night for all I care...

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Getting offended by promo nights is dumb. You get free stuff. Don't like free stuff? Say 'no thanks'

And sometimes they show a video, or have an interview, if you don't like it then don't pay attention.

I agree with this. I watch sports to escape politics. Bringing a debate into something that I use to escape the seriousness of the world is annoying.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bringing a debate into something that I use to escape the seriousness of the world is annoying.

It's not really a debate. A majority of the developed world has decided it's a non issue, and is simply a matter of basic human decency.

Doesn't stop a handful of people from desperately trying to swim against that current. Sometimes very loudly.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It's not really a debate. A majority of the developed world has decided it's a non issue, and is simply a matter of basic human decency.

Doesn't stop a handful of people from desperately trying to swim against that current. Sometimes very loudly.

People are debating about it on Facebook. And that comment wasn't just about this. It's about all the politics mixing with sports that's been going on. It's annoying turning on Sportscentre and seeing two guys who should be arguing about defensive coverage arguing about some athlete who's trying to bring "awareness" or start a "conversation" about something political.

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
People are debating about it on Facebook. And that comment wasn't just about this. It's about all the politics mixing with sports that's been going on. It's annoying turning on Sportscentre and seeing two guys who should be arguing about defensive coverage arguing about some athlete who's trying to bring "awareness" or start a "conversation" about something political.

Sportscenter is its own beast. Sportscenter is more gossip about athletes that sports highlights.

I don't care what Johnny Manziel is up to now, show me some highlights and top plays.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't get it. I can't cut through the euphemistic insinuations. Does this just mean that more non-straight white males should be encouraged to participate and enjoy hockey?

I hope so.

I'd love that. I really hope more females, more LGBTQ folks, and more minorities (religious and ethnic) develop an interest in and passion for hockey. The sport really needs to grow and become more diverse.

I'm a suburban white male, family man, church goer and right leaning type. I'd love it if I didn't represent the vast, vast, vast majority of my fellow hockey fans.

PerpetualTankYear

Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't get it. I can't cut through the euphemistic insinuations. Does this just mean that more non-straight white males should be encouraged to participate and enjoy hockey?

I hope so.

I'd love that. I really hope more females, more LGBTQ folks, and more minorities (religious and ethnic) develop an interest in and passion for hockey. The sport really needs to grow and become more diverse.

I'm a suburban white male, family man, church goer and right leaning type. I'd love it if I didn't represent the vast, vast, vast majority of my fellow hockey fans.

Agree with everything.

"Hockey is for everyone" night should pander to more than just LGBT. Pander it to minorities too. If the Coyotes could find a way to tap into the Hispanic market, it would be unbelievable for the franchise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If the Coyotes could find a way to tap into the Hispanic market, it would be unbelievable for the franchise.

Do they have any Hispanic outreach programs? Doesn't seem like it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Meh..... the author has been on a bitter tirade ever since she got roasted in the social media over her blog about Tony DeAngelo.

Pretty much got roasted over this one too.

She says the Coyotes Ladies Night promo was condescending, but then talks about how Tampa did it right by providing on-ice training and off-ice instructional lessons. Isn't Tampa being condescending by assuming that women need lessons on the game? :shakehead

Very easy to assess the effectiveness of the women's night promo, probably harder to assess if Hockey is for Everyone. This may sound cynical, but the hockey is for everyone night is more about optics than increasing ticket sales.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Political correctness wouldn't be necessary if people would just stop being a-holes to each other. That's my take. Hockey, unfortunately, tends to encourage a-hole behavior because of its nature of "manly men" elements like hitting, fighting, chirping, and so forth.

Incidentally, in case anyone didn't know or was curious, the You Can Play Project was founded by Patrick Burke - son of the NHL's own Worst Hairstyle and Tie Combo Award Winner Brian Burke - in honor of his brother Brendan who came out as gay while coaching hockey and died soon afterward in a car accident. The advisory board of YCP includes people like Brian Burke, John Buccigross, Andy Miele, Enrico Blasi, Tommy Wingels, and Rick Welts, so I would say it's anything but a fringe effort.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
She says the Coyotes Ladies Night promo was condescending, but then talks about how Tampa did it right by providing on-ice training and off-ice instructional lessons. Isn't Tampa being condescending by assuming that women need lessons on the game? :shakehead

Very easy to assess the effectiveness of the women's night promo, probably harder to assess if Hockey is for Everyone. This may sound cynical, but the hockey is for everyone night is more about optics than increasing ticket sales.

The concept of "hockey is for everyone" is just that. It doesn't matter who you are.... what you are...... or even where you came from.

Whatever prejudices you may (or may not) have should be left at the door and just enjoy the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad