Votes: 57 22.5%
  • Pettersson

Votes: 145 57.3%
  • About the same

Votes: 51 20.2%

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
there are high IQ plays that lead to nothing just like there are low IQ plays that lead to goals, otherwise we would never see any garbage goals

That lead to not going in of course... but to nothing as in not even a scoring chance is what I meant, or thought you meant. Also Gretzky, Crosby and Tavares are known for scoring a ton of garbage goals, it's called being in the right place at the right time.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The thing I'm wondering too is if Pettersson is indeed the smarter player already, has a far better shot which he does, is a better stickhandler (it's close though), but lacks the overall skating ability of Marner, you would figure he would be scoring on par with him or atleast pretty close despite having worse players to play with. I think it's more likely that he's not quite as smart of a player as Marner quite yet or is maybe roughly on the same level rather than being clearly smarter.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The thing I'm wondering too is if Pettersson is indeed the smarter player already, has a far better shot which he does, is a better stickhandler (it's close though), but lacks the overall skating ability of Marner, you would figure he would be scoring on par with him or atleast pretty close despite having worse players to play with. I think it's more likely that he's not quite as smart of a player as Marner quite yet or is maybe roughly on the same level rather than being clearly smarter.
Since Marner is starting to shot more and as a result is scoring more goals, isn't it to early to say that Pettersson has a better shot?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Since Marner is starting to shot more and as a result is scoring more goals, isn't it to early to say that Pettersson has a better shot?

Not at all, if anything it's more a testament to Marner's IQ, their shots are not close to being close.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
If this were true already (which it clearly isn't), he wouldn't be scoring far less points, I don't care who their linemates are.
Don't kid yourself, pettersson does everything better than marner. Switch their situations and the numbers would be a lot different, even you know this, I don't expect you to admit it though

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Don't kid yourself, pettersson does everything better than marner. Switch their situations and the numbers would be a lot different, even you know this, I don't expect you to admit it though

He doesn't have the vision or skating ability and isn't as strong on the puck yet, you are the one who's kidding yourself. Even if they were to switch situations and their point totals swapped, how would that make Pettersson better? This is a delusional opinion.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Marners shot is elite? In what world. This is a ridiculously tough comparison since Marner is a third year player and Pettersson is a rookie.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
He doesn't have the vision or skating ability and isn't as strong on the puck yet, you are the one who's kidding yourself. Even if they were to switch situations and their point totals swapped, how would that make Pettersson better? This is a delusional opinion.
The things you mentioned are so terribly false, marner has better vision than Pettersson? Give me a break. Skating is a wash and Pettersson's play style doesn't require him to be awfully strong on the puck, so I'll give you that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The things you mentioned are so terribly false, marner has better vision than Pettersson? Give me a break. Skating is a wash and Pettersson's play style doesn't require him to be awfully strong on the puck, so I'll give you that.

Lol... keep dreaming.

Reactions: Cotton

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Meh. You can probably find a highlight where every NHL player makes a good shot.
I think Marners playmaking is elite. His shot. Not so much. Not saying his shot isn’t good but it’s not near the top like Matthews and Pettersson.
So how come Babcock was telling him to shot more? He obviously see's he's got a great shot when he can use it to his advantage.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So how come Babcock was telling him to shot more? He obviously see's he's got a great shot when he can use it to his advantage.

He's got a decent not great shot. He needs to shoot more so that the opposition sees him as a threat to score rather than just pass all the time. His shot is not close to Matthews, or Pettersson's though.

Reactions: Hugh Mungus

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Pettersson has freak extraterrestrial IQ whereas Marner only has generic high Neanderthal IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad