Hockey in Europe and growth

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There is just no way ice hockey could come close to the upper echelon of sports in Croatia. Infrastructure is non-exsistant, apart from Zagreb and some small towns the hockey tradition is non-existant and while MedveÅ¡čak is a great story that will hopefully live on, it does little in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the development of hockey in Croatia. Knowledge level of the coaches that are working with young kids isn't very good as well.

Football will always be #1 and nothing will change that, after that you have handball (where we have years and years of tradition and where we are a power house nation), waterpolo (same as handball), basketball (we were a great nation in the past, we've fallen since, but our youth national teams are having their way with the rest of the European competition and only USA can stop them, the future looks bright once again). More kids are also playing volleyball, futsal, etc than hockey.

And after those team sports you have sports like gymnastics, athletics, tennis, rowing, swimming, ping-pong etc that are more popular among the kids than hockey.

RKC

Aug 7, 2011
I think it's pretty irrelevant how strong hockey is relatively to football, no team sport can compete with football in Europe or globally. The important thing is that hockey gains ground behind football and that's what you can strive for.

This.

I don't think it would take that much for football to take hockey's place as #1 sport in Finland. Appearance in WC or EC and few decent players in the top 4 leagues should create a lot of media coverage and hype around football. Everyone remembers the hype HJK created when they beat Shalke last year and we are starting to finally see some good talents like Pohjanpalo and Uronen emerge. Apparently there are some really good age groups on the way too.

croAVSfan*

There is just no way ice hockey could come close to the upper echelon of sports in Croatia. Infrastructure is non-exsistant, apart from Zagreb and some small towns the hockey tradition is non-existant and while MedveÅ¡čak is a great story that will hopefully live on, it does little in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the development of hockey in Croatia. Knowledge level of the coaches that are working with young kids isn't very good as well.

Football will always be #1 and nothing will change that, after that you have handball (where we have years and years of tradition and where we are a power house nation), waterpolo (same as handball), basketball (we were a great nation in the past, we've fallen since, but our youth national teams are having their way with the rest of the European competition and only USA can stop them, the future looks bright once again). More kids are also playing volleyball, futsal, etc than hockey.

And after those team sports you have sports like gymnastics, athletics, tennis, rowing, swimming, ping-pong etc that are more popular among the kids than hockey.

Those popularity over hockey comes from the fact that in almost every village you have oportunity to practice these sports.

Sisak, as only other city apart from Zagreb that has established hockey tradition, have more than 400 kids in all categories (from U8 to U20). Not that bad...if only they have indoor rink :)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Those popularity over hockey comes from the fact that in almost every village you have oportunity to practice these sports.

Sisak, as only other city apart from Zagreb that has established hockey tradition, have more than 400 kids in all categories (from U8 to U20). Not that bad...if only they have indoor rink :)

That's my point, there's no infrastructure (or tradition) that would make it possible for kids to play hockey.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it's pretty irrelevant how strong hockey is relatively to football, no team sport can compete with football in Europe or globally. The important thing is that hockey gains ground behind football and that's what you can strive for.

I didn't make this thread to compete against football, that's very foolish. I made this thread to see if hockey will (or is) the 2nd most popular sport in Europe.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This.

I don't think it would take that much for football to take hockey's place as #1 sport in Finland. Appearance in WC or EC and few decent players in the top 4 leagues should create a lot of media coverage and hype around football. Everyone remembers the hype HJK created when they beat Shalke last year and we are starting to finally see some good talents like Pohjanpalo and Uronen emerge. Apparently there are some really good age groups on the way too.

Agreed but most importantly, our FA should pull their heads out of their bottoms and start marketing our top league like it deserves, stop trying to fight the "hooligan problem" that doesn't exist, and make a better schedule for the league. You know it's **** up when most of the games are played in the middle of the frigging week, and true big games like Turku derby on Mondays. :shakehead

croAVSfan*

Is it just a matter of time before it does and if so would you consider the potential high?

You mean about building new ice rinks across the whole country ? There are some rumors that new ice rinks will be built, but our federation used to throw such promises ten years ago as well...so until I don't see new rink I won't believe.

But I am sure kids would start to practice hockey if there is an ice rink. Medvescak's game are on national television and many people not from Zagreb, but from other cities, are coming on Medvescak home games.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Is it just a matter of time before it does and if so would you consider the potential high?

As CroAvsFan said there's really no good reason to believe that they'll build more rinks. As for potential, it's tough to say, our coaches aren't really good, but talent is probably there seeing what Sakic, Mahovlich's, Pavelich's and Bezina did when they got a chance to develop their skills under professional and competent guidance.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Sweden has a real shot at Handball finals now, let's see how the ratings will be compared to 2006 hockey final (if we make it that is).

croAVSfan*

Sweden has a real shot at Handball finals now, let's see how the ratings will be compared to 2006 hockey final (if we make it that is).

I really hope that Sweden will not get a chance to win a Gold. Really nothing against Swedes, I like their hockey and league very much, I just think that is better for hockey in Sweden that other sports don't get much success and exposure. That could hurt hockey...

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I really hope that Sweden will not get a chance to win a Gold. Really nothing against Swedes, I like their hockey and league very much, I just think that is better for hockey in Sweden that other sports don't get much success and exposure. That could hurt hockey...

Don't worry, our chances of winning the gold are very very small. :laugh: We do have a good shot at making the finals though.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

Well, Sweden reached the final (yaaay)..and lost (boooo).

But even if we had won and even if our handball national team reach the class of the late 80:s and the 90:s (we had maybe the best national team ever in the history of handball) hockey would still be number one with football. The buzz would be bigger around handball (national team) for some time if Sweden made a comeback as a power house but hockey and football are pretty much cemented in the top (both domestic leagues, national teams and the number of kids starting to play).

You should be more worried about floorball. :D

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Well, Sweden reached the final (yaaay)..and lost (boooo).

But even if we had won and even if our handball national team reach the class of the late 80:s and the 90:s (we had maybe the best national team ever in the history of handball) hockey would still be number one with football. The buzz would be bigger around handball (national team) for some time if Sweden made a comeback as a power house but hockey and football are pretty much cemented in the top (both domestic leagues, national teams and the number of kids starting to play).

You should be more worried about floorball. :D

So many things wrong here, not sure where to start.

The national team floorball plays on minor channels even when we're in the world cup final.

The handball national team can very much compete with the other 2 sports (especially hockey, football will always be 1) if we get a good generation again, and I'm pretty sure this years final had very good ratings.
The handball national team is one of the most beloved teams in Sweden.

Seriously. :help:

Last edited:

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
So many things wrong here, not sure where to start.

The national team floorball plays on minor channels even when we're in the world cup final.

The handball national team can very much compete with the other 2 sports (especially hockey, football will always be 1) if we get a good generation again, and I'm pretty sure this years final had very good ratings.
The handball national team is one of the most beloved teams in Sweden.

Seriously. :help:

Seriously man.......so many things?

When was handball ever bigger than football or hockey? Not even in Wislanders days, all though the national team was mighty popular then.

Floorball "steals" (or did steal) a lot of talent (kids playing floorball instead), the sport itself does not compete.

Handball is popular and draws a lot interest yes, but not in the league of hockey and football, no matter what you want to believe. And I'm not just speaking of the national team here but the sports in general. But Tre Kronor (hockey) is probably the most beloved and classic national team in Sweden only surpassed by the Football national team from time to time - especially when Euro champs and World cup are around the corner.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Seriously man.......so many things?

When was handball ever bigger than football or hockey? Not even in Wislanders days, all though the national team was mighty popular then.

Floorball "steals" (or did steal) a lot of talent (kids playing floorball instead), the sport itself does not compete.

Handball is popular and draws a lot interest yes, but not in the league of hockey and football, no matter what you want to believe. And I'm not just speaking of the national team here but the sports in general. But Tre Kronor (hockey) is probably the most beloved and classic national team in Sweden only surpassed by the Football national team - especially when Euro champs and World cup are around the corner.

Handball as a sport has never and will never be bigger, but the handball national teams as I wrote, during the tournaments, when we have a squad that can do something, is always very popular. Not necesserily more popular, but on par, or close to. Nothing can compete with the football team during WC or EC though, but the handball leagues, gets very little attention.

MissingNo

Aug 29, 2012
Luleå
Here in Luleå I would rank the sports:
1.Hockey
2.Fotball/soccer
3.Basketball
4.Innebandy/floorball

We have one of swedens best basketball teams but I still think fotball is bigger even if we only have a low ranked team in swedens 1-division (it's named 1-division but is actually 3-division)

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
As A Finn linving in Scotland I think

1) Football
2) Rugby
3) Shinty?
4) Tennis

Are sports I would put down as more popular than hockey and there could/will be more but I don't know :P

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Positioning ice hockey as number 2 in countries like Russia, Germany, Austria or Switzerland and making it number 1 in Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc would be great. In places like Spain or France to get hockey even close to sport number 3 or 4 is almost impossible.

PS:

In Germany off course sport number 1 is football. But number 2 (attendance, media coverage, money) is already ice hockey. Only then come Handball and Basketball.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This.

I think that we Finns love success too much to football really challenge hockey. One lucky place in WC or EC wouldn´t change that and we are lightyears away to be a real power in european football. We had Litmanen, Hyypiä, very good national team and HJK in champions league but did that change things. I love football but in this point hockeys number one place is really secure in Finland.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Positioning ice hockey as number 2 in countries like Russia, Germany, Austria or Switzerland and making it number 1 in Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc would be great. In places like Spain or France to get hockey even close to sport number 3 or 4 is almost impossible.

PS:

In Germany off course sport number 1 is football. But number 2 (attendance, media coverage, money) is already ice hockey. Only then come Handball and Basketball.

I definitely see Germany as a intriguing place for hockey potential. What does hockey need to do to become the second established sport and leave handball/basketball far behind?

Bluebirds Boyo

Jan 4, 2010
Bangkok, Thailand
As A Finn linving in Scotland I think

1) Football
2) Rugby
3) Shinty?
4) Tennis

Are sports I would put down as more popular than hockey and there could/will be more but I don't know :P

Shinty?! :laugh:

I just downloaded some major shinty match to see what it was, as it happens. It was from BBC Alba and was played in some park. Ha.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I definitely see Germany as a intriguing place for hockey potential. What does hockey need to do to become the second established sport and leave handball/basketball far behind?

Same as everywhere else, more rinks to let the kids play and more games on TV to catch their attention.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne

Well. Since this season there are 2 games available for free every week (one in TV, one in the internet). :handclap:

But the biggest problem is that in most parts of Germany there are no ice halls at all. Biggest problem in Germany isn't even money but the lack of ice time kids could get. Football, Handball, Basketball, Tennis (even Rugby and American Football) can be played in the local club of your village whenever you want to. Hockey...??? :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad