Hockey in Czechoslovakia and Europe from 1968 to 1990 (some awards and stats)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1979-1980

TIP magazine:

Best player of the season at each position:

I honestly have no idea about voting system this season. All I know that there were still 2 parts of voting (“scoring” and actual coaches voting) but point system had to be different this time. Otherwise Milan Novy, as a winner of the “Canadian scoring” would find himself on the first place ahead of Peter Stastny, who came only 8th in this type of scoring but has won the voting part with 10 coaches putting him on their ballots. Novy ended up with just 4 first place votes from coaches. In the 1981-1990 system, Novy would win the award with 32 points (20+12), while P. Stastny would come 2nd with 30 points (0+30). But it was Peter Stastny who claimed the TIP´s best forward award this season…

Reason why I am sure that the “scoring part” still had some effect on final results is a d-man Frantisek Kaberle who did not win the voting part, as he received only 2 1st place votes from coaches while Bubla and Dvorak received 4 1st place votes. But it was Kaberle who was declared the best defenseman of the season, so the “scoring” of defensemen (some aggregate statistic consisted of goals, assists and +/-) had to have an influence on the final results, because Kaberle became a winner of this “defensive scoring” (Kaberle was a league leader in +/- by a significant margin).

For clarity, I put here a list of all 16 coaches-voters and their ballots so you can see who prefers who. Unlike other years, this is the only season for which I found the voting of each individual coach published.
1980a.JPG

Voting results for goalies from all 16 coaches-voters:
1. Jiří Králík (Jihlava) – 12 votes
2. Miroslav Krása (Kladno) – 4
Winning goalie: Jiří Králík

Voting results for defensemen:
1. Miroslav Dvořák (Č. Budějovice) – 4
Jiří Bubla (Litvínov, Sparta) – 4
3. František Kaberle (Kladno) – 2
Arnold Kadlec (Jihlava) – 2
Jaroslav Vinš (Kladno) – 2
6. František Hossa (Trenčín) – 1
Stanislav Hajdůšek (Sparta) – 1
Winning d-man: František Kaberle

Voting results for forwards:
1. Peter Šťastný (Slovan) – 10
2. Milan Nový (Kladno) – 4
3. Vladimír Martinec (Pardubice) – 1
Vincent Lukáč (Košice) – 1
Winning forward: Peter Šťastný

Save percentage of ‘top 10 goalies’ of the season:
1. Kolísek (Kladno): 20 games / 36 goals allowed / 529 saves / 0.9363 %
2. Králík (Jihlava): 44 games / 111 goals allowed / 1196 saves / 0.9151 %
3. Krása (Kladno): 25 games / 63 goals allowed / 655 saves / 0.9123 %
4. Šindel (Vítkovice): 35 games / 134 goals allowed / 1264 saves / 0. 9042 %
5. Radvanovský (Brno): 22 games / 98 goals allowed / 904 saves / 0.9022 %
6. Fous (Plzeň): 26 games / 102 goals allowed / 918 saves / 0.9000 %
7. Termer (Sparta): 28 games / 88 goals allowed / 787 saves / 0.8994 %
8. Lang (Trenčín): 40 games / 138 goals allowed / 1198 saves / 0.8967 %
9. Plánička (Č. Budějovice): 30 games / 106 goals allowed / 901 saves / 0.8947 %
10. Kapoun (Litvínov): 32 games / 122 goals allowed / 1027 saves / 0.8938 %
1980b.JPG

OG 1980 Save percentage:
Yearbook ´80 nor Gól magazine did not provide me with any goalie statistics but they are available online anyway so I just post them here for the sake of completeness. Theokritos posted them in the International & European Hockey Reference thread with this source (page 106). Quanthockey.com has them published too and there doesn´t seem to be any discrepancies between these two sources.

Other:
Two new things surprised me about this season. First, Vladimir Martinec was poised to have another great season, he was the clear cut leader of the Golden stick voting after half of the season was over (i.e. after first 2 rounds of GS voting), he was on the top or close to the top of the scoring list, competing with Milan Novy, Vincent Lukac and Stastny brothers, and finally he dominated traditional Izvestia Cup tournament played in Moscow mid-season, recording 8 points (4+4) of 4 games and winning the tournament scoring and the best Izvestia forward award. Players that followed Martinec in the scoring list were B. Ebermann (4+1), H. Balderis (3+2), J. Novak (3+2), S. Makarov (2+3) and V. Zluktov (2+3) – all with just 5 points. Martinec then got injured at 2nd game of OG in Lake Placid against USA, causing him to miss a big part of the remaining games of the season and then when he came back from injury, he was a shell of his former self. Seems to me like that crucial game vs. USA, which Czechoslovaks lost 7:3 truly ended Martinec´s prime.

So it was Peter Stastny who won his first GS trophy right before he went to Quebec. His win was actually a bit unusual compared to other years, there is a mention in the Gól magazine´s summary of voting that Stastny did not win a single one of five rounds of voting during the season but he won the trophy for best Czechoslovak player anyway by accumulating the most points of all players simply because he was the only CSSR player who performed consistently very well at both domestic and international level throughout the whole season. Martinec still finished relatively high too (5th place), but mostly thanks to gathering lot of points in his strong 1st half-season.

Second, there was one man who did not see Americans winning the Olympics as a miracle at all. That man was Vladimír Kostka, the biggest “brain” in the Czech hockey, guy who first coached CSSR in 1957 and last in 1973, creator of the famous Czechoslovak left-wing-lock playing system and author of many hockey-related books, textbooks and research-papers. Kostka was known as a “Mr. Professor” within hockey community because the CSSR National team was his only team he ever coached, he never coached a particular team in the League but he focused on developing the centralized hockey program which he teached for about 35 years at the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports at Charles University in Prague. Authors of the yearbook ´80, p. 38-39, wrote:

“When the Czechoslovak B-team returned from the pre-olympic tournament at Lake Placid, coach of A-team Karel Gut has already been impatiently waiting for the news about Canadian and mainly American team. His assistant Stanislav Neveselý was the coach of our reserve-team together with Ladislav Horský, so the information was delivered so-called from the first hand. However, former coach of the Czechoslovak National team Vladimír Kostka was also present in America and he provided to journalists such information about teams Canada and USA, that it lately fulfilled to the last word. When he talked with superlatives mainly about the team USA, many men surely wouldn´t pay attention to him… but let´s repeat his words:

‘It is the strongest team, the United States ever build! It incorporated the combination game taken from European elements and the coach Herbert Brooks taught players a defense system to the extent that they do not make a mistake during their active defensive plays. Doing so while showing their counter-attacks having an enormous effort. It is the favourite of the Winter Olympic games. I´ve never seen Americans with so much motivation, with such discipline. They play sharply, but they won´t let themselves to foul too much. Everything suited them in Lake Placid now, the question is though, how well are they going to play under the international refereeing… Canadians played fantastic hockey with maximum effort on us. They wanted to prove themselves to us. They gain pressure by fast skating, unexpected shooting and immediate forchecking; they even push themselves to the goalie crease while pressing the goalie to the net. In their Olympic team there are players of smaller statures, excellent skaters who have a sense for a dangerous counter-attack. On the other hand, I have not seen Canadians so far, how they are going to handle the big ice at Lake Placid.’

Let´s repeat once more that V. Kostka expressed these words more than month before the start of the WOG!”

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Other:
Two new things surprised me about this season. First, Vladimir Martinec was poised to have another great season, he was the clear cut leader of the Golden stick voting after half of the season was over (i.e. after first 2 rounds of GS voting), he was on the top or close to the top of the scoring list, competing with Milan Novy, Vincent Lukac and Stastny brothers, and finally he dominated traditional Izvestia Cup tournament played in Moscow mid-season, recording 8 points (4+4) of 4 games and winning the tournament scoring and the best Izvestia forward award. Players that followed Martinec in the scoring list were B. Ebermann (4+1), H. Balderis (3+2), J. Novak (3+2), S. Makarov (2+3) and V. Zluktov (2+3) – all with just 5 points. Martinec then got injured at 2nd game of OG in Lake Placid against USA, causing him to miss a big part of the remaining games of the season and then when he came back from injury, he was a shell of his former self. Seems to me like that crucial game vs. USA, which Czechoslovaks lost 7:3 truly ended Martinec´s prime.

That's interesting. I mean, if he had played the whole season healthy, possibly a 5th Golden Stick for him? A shame.
Ivan Hlinka - who had been in a terrific form internationally in 1977-79 - was injured during this season too and missed the Olympics, and when he came back, he was, like you said about Martinec, a shell of his former self also. I can imagine that CSSR's 1980 Olympic team felt a bit like orphans without those two icons.
Anyway, Martinec had one decent season still (1980-81), and, for what it's worth, was among the top Czechoslovak scorers at the 1981 World Championship (3 + 5 in 8 games, 4th among his teammates).

A Finnish hockey book (Suuri jääkiekkoteos 2) writes that Martinec was injured (broken wrist) already in their first game vs Norway. Now, I know that he played in the game vs USA, so I reckon that has to be incorrect, considering the obvious severity of the injury?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
That's interesting. I mean, if he had played the whole season healthy, possibly a 5th Golden Stick for him? A shame.
Ivan Hlinka - who had been in a terrific form internationally in 1977-79 - was injured during this season too and missed the Olympics, and when he came back, he was, like you said about Martinec, a shell of his former self also. I can imagine that CSSR's 1980 Olympic team felt a bit like orphans without those two icons.
Anyway, Martinec had one decent season still (1980-81), and, for what it's worth, was among the top Czechoslovak scorers at the 1981 World Championship (3 + 5 in 8 games, 4th among his teammates).

A Finnish hockey book (Suuri jääkiekkoteos 2) writes that Martinec was injured (broken wrist) already in their first game vs Norway. Now, I know that he played in the game vs USA, so I reckon that has to be incorrect, considering the obvious severity of the injury?

Dickie Moore won the NHL scoring championship in 1958 playing roughly half the season with a broken wrist. Depends on the arm and the bone.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Other:

Insights such as this one are just invaluable.

:clap:

Second, there was one man who did not see Americans winning the Olympics as a miracle at all. That man was Vladimír Kostka, the biggest “brain” in the Czech hockey, guy who first coached CSSR in 1957 and last in 1973, creator of the famous Czechoslovak left-wing-lock playing system and author of many hockey-related books, textbooks and research-papers. Kostka was known as a “Mr. Professor” within hockey community because the CSSR National team was his only team he ever coached, he never coached a particular team in the League but he focused on developing the centralized hockey program which he teached for about 35 years at the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports at Charles University in Prague. Authors of the yearbook ´80, p. 38-39, wrote:

“When the Czechoslovak B-team returned from the pre-olympic tournament at Lake Placid, coach of A-team Karel Gut has already been impatiently waiting for the news about Canadian and mainly American team. His assistant Stanislav Neveselý was the coach of our reserve-team together with Ladislav Horský, so the information was delivered so-called from the first hand. However, former coach of the Czechoslovak National team Vladimír Kostka was also present in America and he provided to journalists such information about teams Canada and USA, that it lately fulfilled to the last word. When he talked with superlatives mainly about the team USA, many men surely wouldn´t pay attention to him… but let´s repeat his words:

‘It is the strongest team, the United States ever build! It incorporated the combination game taken from European elements and the coach Herbert Brooks taught players a defense system to the extent that they do not make a mistake during their active defensive plays. Doing so while showing their counter-attacks having an enormous effort. It is the favourite of the Winter Olympic games. I´ve never seen Americans with so much motivation, with such discipline. The play sharply, but they won´t let themselves to foul too much. Everything suited them in Lake Placid now, the question is though, how well are they going to play under the international refereeing… Canadians played fantastic hockey with maximum effort on us. They wanted to prove themselves to us. They gain pressure by fast skating, unexpected shooting and immediate forchecking; they even push themselves to the goalie crease while pressing the goalie to the net. In their Olympic team there are players of smaller statures, excellent skaters who have a sense for a dangerous counter-attack. On the other hand, I have not seen Canadians so far, how they are going to handle the big ice at Lake Placid.’

Let´s repeat once more that V. Kostka expressed these words more than month before the start of the WOG!”

That's stunning. Incredibly accurate scouting and observations by Vladimír Kostka. Probably someone who would be deserving of much more attention around here, a la Anatoly Tarasov. It's great to see the informations keep coming, so that one day we as a community will hopefully be able to give people like Kostka their proper due.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Dickie Moore won the NHL scoring championship in 1958 plaing roughly half the season with a broken wrist. Depends on the arm and the bone.

Yeah, about that... I got it slightly wrong; actually it says in the book that he broke his hand or arm ('käsi' can mean either one) in a "harmless-looking situation", so it wasn't necessarily his wrist. Anyway, the severity of the injury seems quite clear, since there is also a mention elsewhere in the book that Martinec's career might be over (with hindsight, it quite wasn't of course).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah, about that... I got it slightly wrong; actually it says in the book that he broke his hand or arm ('käsi' can mean either one) in a "harmless-looking situation", so it wasn't necessarily his wrist. Anyway, the severity of the injury seems quite clear, since there is also a mention elsewhere in the book that Martinec's career might be over (with hindsight, it quite wasn't of course).

Probably hand which could be very problematic due to multiple small bones.

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague

Yes, Hlinka was sorely missed too but I would say more his leadership than any other of his skills. The main problem for CSSR at 1980 seemed to be defense and goaltending, offense looked fine on paper and Czechoslovaks scored a lot at those Olympics. They had their top lines nicely set. 1st line with Martinec, Novak and Ebermann had great chemistry and scored the most points just a month and half at Izvestia Cup tournament, as shown above. 2nd line was composed of all 3 Stastnys, so no issue with chemistry here too. And 3rd line had Novy and Lukac, two players scoring the most points in the league season, with Pouzar as a proven and experienced defensive LW.

1980 was a weak season for d-men, Bubla and Dvorak slowed down a bit and no one other really stepped up. Frantisek Kaberle won the best d-man award but only two coaches actually voted him as such. What is particularly revealing is that even Kaberle´s own coach Josef Vimmer put a different Kladno´s d-man - Jaroslav Vinš - on his ballot as best defenseman of the season, instead of Kaberle! (see the voting of coaches above) Kralik also had a second dissapointing performance on international scene in a row despite his ongoing great performance on a domestic level.. I´ll post something about him soon (in my 1978-79 post).

I don´t know precise circumstances about Martinec´s injury this season. Only thing I know that he stepped out of the ice early in 1st period vs. USA, so it´s entirely possible that he got a partial injury in preceding game vs. Norway.

Insights such as this one are just invaluable.

:clap:

That's stunning. Incredibly accurate scouting and observations by Vladimír Kostka. Probably someone who would be deserving of much more attention around here, a la Anatoly Tarasov. It's great to see the informations keep coming, so that one day we as a community will hopefully be able to give people like Kostka their proper due.

Oh definitely it is a shame that the greatest Czechoslovak coaches are not even close as appreaciated as the Soviet ones, but that is understandable due to lack of knowledge about them. I do think that between 1965-1985 CSSR had the best possible coaching available, all three duos of Pitner-Kostka, Gut-Starší, Bukač-Neveselý had truly serious, reserved "scientific-like" approach to hockey. None of them was the type of "player-friendly, motivational" coach. From reading a lot of interviews or articles about them, I think they were the right men at the right spots. Continuity within coaching of these men was a positive thing too: Both Pitner and Kostka advised Gut and Starší as their successors in 1973, same thing Gut did for Bukač and Neveselý in 1979/1980.

What I would really like to find out more about are Kostka´s relationships with NA hockey people and authorities. I only know that some of his work was translated into English and known to some people (his Czech wiki profile states that his book Modern Hockey was published in 6 different foreign countries). Kostka made some contacts with Scotty Bowman in late 60s for example, he actually arrived and attended the St. Louis Blues training camp with Jaroslav Jirik in 1969 but I don´t know any details about this. I think it was Kostka too, who orchestrated the arrival of Stan Mikita to the Czechoslovak NT training camp in the summer of 1967, I believe. Again, I don´t know any details about this, I only found two pictures from this adventure. Mikita dressed in Czechoslovak NT jersey alongside the CSSR captain at the time - Jozef Golonka. I´ve also seen a picture with Mikita talking with Pitner and Kostka on the ice at that camp, but I couln´t find it...

pratelstvi-1.jpg

stan-mikita-jozef-golonka-ice-hockey-BX595A.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... ^^^ checkout the Banana Blade on Stan's stick there. :laugh: ... great photo's.

Reactions: DN28

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Ooh some of those names take me back :)

When I was a kid going to my first games we had both Sindel and Briza playing in Finland. Briza was godly.

Reactions: Jablkon and DN28

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Yes, Hlinka was sorely missed too but I would say more his leadership than any other of his skills. The main problem for CSSR at 1980 seemed to be defense and goaltending, offense looked fine on paper and Czechoslovaks scored a lot at those Olympics. They had their top lines nicely set. 1st line with Martinec, Novak and Ebermann had great chemistry and scored the most points just a month and half at Izvestia Cup tournament, as shown above. 2nd line was composed of all 3 Stastnys, so no issue with chemistry here too. And 3rd line had Novy and Lukac, two players scoring the most points in the league season, with Pouzar as a proven and experienced defensive LW.

1980 was a weak season for d-men, Bubla and Dvorak slowed down a bit and no one other really stepped up. Frantisek Kaberle won the best d-man award but only two coaches actually voted him as such. What is particularly revealing is that even Kaberle´s own coach Josef Vimmer put a different Kladno´s d-man - Jaroslav Vinš - on his ballot as best defenseman of the season, instead of Kaberle! (see the voting of coaches above) Kralik also had a second dissapointing performance on international scene in a row despite his ongoing great performance on a domestic level.. I´ll post something about him soon (in my 1978-79 post).

Yes, they scored a lot of goals, though not so much in the two key games vs USA and vs Sweden (3 and 2, respectively).

Also, the Olympic format was not very forgiving; two strikes and you were out, no quarter-finals or anything like that. Unfortunately, in their Group/Pool, they ran into a hot team (USA) and later into a hot goalie (young Pelle Lindbergh in the Sweden game), and so the medal round was out of reach. I don't think they would have finished 5th, if it had been e.g. the 1969-1975 World Championships, where every team faced each other twice.

I don´t know precise circumstances about Martinec´s injury this season. Only thing I know that he stepped out of the ice early in 1st period vs. USA, so it´s entirely possible that he got a partial injury in preceding game vs. Norway.

Okay, I guess it's possible that it happened in the Norway game then.

Last edited:

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
1979-1980
Vladimir Martinec was poised to have another great season, he was the clear cut leader of the Golden stick voting after half of the season was over (i.e. after first 2 rounds of GS voting), he was on the top or close to the top of the scoring list.....Martinec then got injured at 2nd game of OG in Lake Placid against USA, causing him to miss a big part of the remaining games of the season and then when he came back from injury, he was a shell of his former self. Seems to me like that crucial game vs. USA, which Czechoslovaks lost 7:3 truly ended Martinec´s prime.

In Martinec own words from his autobiography:

”The game clock showed three minutes. We’re changing lines. I went for my second shift. Directly after the faceoff I get a pass along the boards, but the puck bounces off the boards. I lift my head to find a teammate. In that instance I see defenceman Baker, who charges straight against me. I instinctively move my body. The American “irons” the board. I however am unable to avoid getting my right hand caught."

“It hurt only for a moment, but I knew right away that it was broken. In the dressing room I managed to get hold of an inflatable splint as I was transported to hospital. There a young doctor checked my hand and nodded his head. He didn’t dare to do anything further with it and called for me to be taken to Saranac Lake, a small place about ten kilometres from the Olympic center. I got an injection as they tried to fix my bones. They succeeded. Then my hand “came alive” in the cast and I almost jumped out of my skin."

“The boys arrived to our lodging house dead tired. I was on my bed and still couldn’t believe it all. “What’s up with that?” our captain Ebermann asked impatiently."

“It’s the same diagnosis as I gave during the game, a broken wrist,” I said cheerfully, but I wasn’t about to laugh."

“How long?” Bohous [Ebermann] asked while blowing at the cast."

“Here they told me eight weeks, but who knows, they might be wrong.”

“I don’t envy you, Marcello” [Martinec],
he grunted and reached for a book."

"In my mind I sent Baker to all horned creatures. No wonder Ebermann didn’t envy me. The Olympics gone and on top of that I lost my chance for a fifth “Zlatou Hokejku.” [Golden Stick]. I had such a comfortable lead in the voting, that in normal circumstances no one would have been able to catch up to me."

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Mikita in a ČSSR jersey is something I never expected to see. :amazed:

What few people know is that Mikita actually played one friendly game in Slovakia when he was there visiting in August 1967. He dressed for VSZ Kosice in an exhibition game against Banska Bystrica. VSZ won the game 9-1 and Mikita scored three goals and had two assists in front of a packed stadium.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
What few people know is that Mikita actually played one friendly game in Slovakia when he was there visiting in August 1967. He dressed for VSZ Kosice in an exhibition game against Banska Bystrica. VSZ won the game 9-1 and Mikita scored three goals and had two assists in front of a packed stadium.

Indeed, I found two articles at Slovak sites mentioning this:

Rok 1967: Stan Mikita si zahral v drese VSŽ - fotografie - Vtedy
Pred 50 rokmi nastúpil legendárny Stan Mikita za Košice

1502177180059.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Great stuff. Curious about the 1969 IIHF rule changes that brought International Hockey much closer to NHL hockey. Any comparables - before and after articles, adjustment articles, coaches analysis, etc touching this change.

Reactions: Killion

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
In Martinec own words from his autobiography:

”The game clock showed three minutes. We’re changing lines. I went for my second shift. Directly after the faceoff I get a pass along the boards, but the puck bounces off the boards. I lift my head to find a teammate. In that instance I see defenceman Baker, who charges straight against me. I instinctively move my body. The American “irons” the board. I however am unable to avoid getting my right hand caught."

“It hurt only for a moment, but I knew right away that it was broken. In the dressing room I managed to get hold of an inflatable splint as I was transported to hospital. There a young doctor checked my hand and nodded his head. He didn’t dare to do anything further with it and called for me to be taken to Saranac Lake, a small place about ten kilometres from the Olympic center. I got an injection as they tried to fix my bones. They succeeded. Then my hand “came alive” in the cast and I almost jumped out of my skin."

“The boys arrived to our lodging house dead tired. I was on my bed and still couldn’t believe it all. “What’s up with that?” our captain Ebermann asked impatiently."

“It’s the same diagnosis as I gave during the game, a broken wrist,” I said cheerfully, but I wasn’t about to laugh."

“How long?” Bohous [Ebermann] asked while blowing at the cast."

“Here they told me eight weeks, but who knows, they might be wrong.”

“I don’t envy you, Marcello” [Martinec],
he grunted and reached for a book."

"In my mind I sent Baker to all horned creatures. No wonder Ebermann didn’t envy me. The Olympics gone and on top of that I lost my chance for a fifth “Zlatou Hokejku.” [Golden Stick]. I had such a comfortable lead in the voting, that in normal circumstances no one would have been able to catch up to me."

Thank you for that!

The Finnish source got it wrong (the game). Period.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1978-1979

TIP magazine:

For seasons 1977-78 and 1978-79, TIP´s best players at G, D and F position were determined solely thanks to aggregate statistical evaluation of each player. There was no voting in this for these two seasons. Karel Gut´s throughout season regularly published “Our Canadian Scoring” or “Expert Scoring” decided the winners. As I´ve said in the past, rules of this aggregate statistics had been evolving, I don´t have yet all the information I need to post everything about evolution of this through time (so far I´ve gathered data up to 1970-71..), but I´ll get to that in future. Eventually last main thing I am going to post in the thread will be “normal” scoring, i. e. goals and assists of skaters (I have in some cases different versions of points from different sources..) and +/- of skaters each season.

Goaltenders:
…And here I have the main problem. :) Supposedly from late 50s until 1972-73, the main determinant of CSSR goalie ranking was the classic save percentage. Between 1983-84 and 1989-90, goalie formula was: (100 - SV%)*GAA=xy; and the lower „xy“ was, the higher finish for a goalie. And formula that was applied between 1973-74 and 1982-83 is nowhere explained, or at least I didn´t find the explanation. Goalie tables for these years always posts 4 columns: games played, goals allowed, saves, and “points” derived from unknown formula. Difference here is that the higher the number of points, the higher finish in ranking. Jiri Kralik won the 1979 TIP´s best goalie award with 263 points.

1. Jiří Králík (Jihlava): 32 games / 56 goals allowed / 846 saves / 263 points
2. Marcel Sakáč (Slovan): 42 games / 116 goals allowed / 1093 saves / 210 points
3. Miroslav Krása (Kladno): 40 games / 116 goals allowed / 1183 saves / 189 points
4. Jiří Crha (Pardubice): 37 games / 117 goals allowed / 1121 saves / 163 points
5. Jan Hrabák (Litvínov): 28 games / 78 goals allowed / 830 saves / 161 points
6. Luděk Brož (Vítkovice): 26 games / 85 goals allowed / 822 saves / 133 points
7. Miroslav Termer (Sparta): 27 games / 83 goals allowed / 805 saves / 124 points
8. Pavol Svitana (Košice): 39 games / 156 goals allowed / 1380 saves / 123 points
9. Jaroslav Radvanovský (Brno): 29 games / 105 goals allowed / 975 saves / 121 points
10. Jaromír Šindel (Vítkovice): 18 games / 51 goals allowed / 554 saves / 116 points
1979 a.JPG

Defensemen:
Formula applied to skaters was: goal scored = 6-10 points, assist = 4-8 points, presence on ice when goal is scored = 2-4 points, presence on ice when goal is allowed at even strength = -2 points, presence on ice when goal is allowed at PK = -1 point, presence on ice when goal is allowed at PP = -3 to -4 points, player also receives -4 points if opposing team scores on PP during his penalty. And “determining concrete number of points depends on the importance of a goal scored or allowed.” …Looks extremely complicated to me, as a result of this, this season´s system produced 25 out of the ‘top 30 forwards’ as a ‘minus’ players; d-men did better with 11 out of the top 15 finishing the season as ‘plus’ players.

System was not always this complicated, until 1977 points were given roughly this way: goal=5p, assist=3p, on ice when goal scored=1p, no goal during PK=1p, on ice at ES or PP when goal allowed=-1p, player whose penalty leads to a goal=-1p.

D-men and forwards tables for these years always posts 5 columns: goals, assists, ‘plus’ points, ‘minus’ points, and overall number of points derived from the formula described above. Jozef Bukovinsky won the 1979 TIP´s best defenseman award with 202 points.

1. Jozef Bukovinský (Slovan): 11 goals / 15 assists / +198 / -126 / 202 points
2. Ľubomír Ujváry (Slovan): 3 goals / 18 assists / +154 / -89 / 155 points
3. František Kaberle (Kladno): 8 goals / 16 assists / +132 / -131 / 119 points
4. Jiří Bubla (Litvínov): 12 goals / 25 assists / +106 / -166 / 116 points
5. Jaroslav Lyčka (Vítkovice): 10 goals / 3 assists / +112 / -71 / 113 points
1979 b.JPG

Forwards:
Marian Stastny won the 1979 TIP´s best forward award with 353 points. Notice the entire 1st unit of Slovan Bratislava at the top of this scoring, with only Martinec clinching in. No wonder that Slovan won their first league title this year, interrupting the Kladno dynasty..

1. Marián Šťastný (Slovan): 39 goals / 35 assists / +74 / -109 / 353 points
2. Vladimír Martinec (Jihlava, Pardubice): 42 goals / 20 assists / +58 / -87 / 305 points
3. Anton Šťastný (Slovan): 32 goals / 19 assists / +134 / -124 / 286 points
4. Peter Šťastný (Slovan): 32 goals / 23 assists / +106 / -119 / 279 points
5. Milan Nový (Kladno): 33 goals / 23 assists / +70 / -130 / 238 points
1979 c.JPG

1. Jiří Králík (Jihlava): 32 games / 56 goals allowed / 846 saves / 0.9379 %
2. Jaromír Šindel (Vítkovice): 18 games / 51 goals allowed / 554 saves / 0.9157 %
3. Jan Hrabák (Litvínov): 28 games / 78 goals allowed / 830 saves / 0.9149 %
4. Miroslav Krása (Kladno): 40 games / 116 goals allowed / 1183 saves / 0.9107 %
5. Miroslav Termer (Sparta): 27 games / 83 goals allowed / 805 saves / 0.9065 %
6. Luděk Brož (Vítkovice): 26 games / 85 goals allowed / 822 saves / 0.9063 %
7. Jiří Crha (Pardubice): 37 games / 117 goals allowed / 1121 saves / 0.9055 %
8. Marcel Sakáč (Slovan): 42 games / 116 goals allowed / 1093 saves / 0.9041 %
9. Jaroslav Radvanovský (Brno): 29 games / 105 goals allowed / 975 saves / 0.9028 %
10. Pavol Svitana (Košice): 39 games / 156 goals allowed / 1380 saves / 0.8984 %

WHC 1979 Save percentage:
Tournaments´ SV% before the 80s are hard to find. For this though, I was able to find stats of just 3 allegedly best goaltenders of the championship in Gól magazine. Other than that, you can find at this link stats of Czech and Slovak goalies at international tournaments too.
1. Jim Craig (USA): 5 games / 125 shots / 11 goals allowed / 0.9120 %
2. Vladislav Tretiak (USSR): 7 games / 123 shots / 12 goals allowed / 0.9024 %
3. Jorma Valtonen (Finland): 4 games / 102 shots / 11 goals allowed / 0.8922 %
4. Jiří Králík (CSSR): 6 games / 83 saves / 17 goals allowed / 0.8300 %
5. Marcel Sakáč (CSSR): 4 games / 72 saves / 15 goals allowed / 0.8276 %
1979 d.JPG

Other:
1) Goalies
Miloslav Charouzd, former National Team player in the 50s and a great hockey journalist in the 70s (his reports and insights about various hockey-related stuff is one of the best things to read in Gól, I´ll be citing him frequently..), has written interesting commentary about this year´s CSSR goalies Kralik, Sakac and its goalie situation in general. After WC 79, issue was quite obvious: contemporary goaltenders are not able to stop the Soviets just like the former Holecek-Dzurilla duo was. Czechoslovaks were still able to outplay other nations and earn the silver medal once again, but humiliating defeats from their biggest rival (1:11 and then 1:6 against USSR) were a tough pill to swallow. Generally, the goalies seemed – very uncharacteristically for CSSR – the biggest weakness of the team (just as at Olympics ´80..), and Charouzd logically asks why, when Kralik plays continually so well with Jihlava and Sakac this year was one of the main culprits of the surprising run of Slovan Bratislava to its first title? Charouzd writes: “Our National Team goaltenders Králík with Sakáč have been quite well prepared when it comes to technical side of things. Skating abilities, agility, work with the stick and quickness of the reaction on a shot… you cannot make many significant complaints about our top goalies including Crha in this area.” But they do have one giant shortage on former Holecek – Dzurilla duo, and that is: “desperately small set of experience from serious world competition.” The mental side of goaltending can only be gained through an actual playing those nervous, intense and exciting games against high-quality teams such as USSR, according to Charouzd. And he reminds readers that even Holecek and Dzurilla originally went through struggles at international competition too and both took some time when they gained the highest honours and shake off the pressure of their shoulders. “That´s why especially Králík did not sufficiently employ his real goaltending abilities.” Every player gains a sense of his own value on the basis of his results on a week-by-week games more or less on a domestic level. Charouzd states that our (=Czechoslovak) goalies have established an inflated self-esteem through games with the usual adversaries in the League. “Králík plays for the team with the best organized defense in the League which is essentially a certain disadvantage for him. Holeček, whether he played for Košice or Sparta, just as Dzurilla in Bratislava or Brno, were in fact conversely forced by their teammates to constantly solve complicated situations and they themselves decided the outcome. Králík, despite his undeniable goaltending qualities, is in Dukla merely a supplementary part of excellent defense, of course the result gets usually decided by shooting potency of Jihlava´s forwards and rarely by his performance in goal. Naturally then, that a necessary conflict has to emerge with him at the World Championship in a game with equal or even better rival. Namely league awards have been achieved by Králík relatively easier than in a tournament environment. That´s why he lost confidence in tough deciding game against USSR and failed to deliver even standard performance, just as Sakáč.” Not sharing duties of organizing defense from a goal, just like Králík´s and Sakáč´s predecessors did, i.e. forming a compact G + 2D unit, was also the reason why Czechoslovaks let in so many goals at the championship. In this sense, Tretiak gets praise on how calmly and effectively can direct his players in a defensive zone. North American goalies did not focus on this part but they would impress with quick passing the puck for a counter-attack when they retrieved the puck from opponent´s previous attack.

Final WHC ´79 report in the magazine (so no Charouzd´s commentary) writes the same things. Goalie in the League develops different habits than in the Championship so success on one level does not necessarily have to translate to the next level. “Neither of them has yet faced the pressure of four offensive lines against which there is not a slightest moment to rest, they´ve had little experience to counter flashy plays of individuals (Balderis, Makarov, Golikovs), they´ve been surprised by large shooting activity by Canadians in the second match.” To be fair to goalies, article also mentions poor or just average performance of most CSSR defensemen and the way coaches handled the goalies is problematized too – specifically the fact that they called in and took the third goalie (Jiri Crha) during the tournament after first few games had already been played which further contributed to lack of Kralik´s and Sakac´s self-confidence.

2) Dukla Jihlava
It has been already stated above… I´ve seen countless mentions about “team-oriented defensive style of hockey” that the ‘army team’ Dukla Jihlava has been producing each season. Just an example from 78-79 league season overview: “So the second place is a pleasant surprise… More serious issue is that constantly lesser quality players get drafted; such players that would become an immediate asset. Dukla is renowned by its polished defensive game (average GAA 1.9 this season) and so even young players in this conception are able to perfectly fulfill entrusted tasks. To thoroughly defend, to skate with opponent over whole rink. Although they mostly lack something by which they would expanded coach´s orders: to create chances and score goals.” Jihlava was a team coached between 1957-1982 by Jaroslav Pitner and was used almost as a “laboratory” for tactics “employable” in the National team, such as LW-lock system, and for scouting, training and raising young talented players potentially suited for international competition. Due to its character, it was usually the youngest domestic team, and the roster was substantially changing every season, much in contrast with the rest of the league teams. Perhaps best example to demonstrate defensive efficiency of Dukla is to look at period when they were NOT a dynasty – 1975-1980 period of Kladno winning 5 titles: during these 6 seasons, Jihlava allowed 600 goals in 252 games, 2.38 GAA; Kladno allowed 652 goals in 252 games, 2.59 GAA. Jihlava maintained the League´s best defense for a period of roughly 20 years (1965-1985) regardless of them winning the title or not. Kralik´s numbers should be taken with this fact in mind, although he was obviously one of the main reasons why Jihlava continued to be defensively successful. Don´t get me wrong, Kralik would still have been posting great numbers in any team, just a liiittle bit less great. :)

3) Slovan Bratislava.
This season´s winner. Worth to put in here description of them and how they managed to win: “Many times they strived for title, last years were quite thin for them though. In previous season they were even the last for 10 rounds. Yet no one worried about their destiny, on the contrary: some would bet on their bright future. But that the Champion would crystallize from this young collective already this season, that is a little shock. Smart conceptual work (5 junior league titles in a row and regular scouting of talents over the whole Slovakia) has brought the first fruit. (…) Bratislava with its game defies the tradition of the Czechoslovak hockey school, they do not come from a secured defense, they build almost everything on a complex offense. Pressure, against which an opponent is facing especially in Bratislava, is big and relentless. Team has 2 strong units and one completely unparalleled. Opponent skates on the ice against P. Šťastný´ unit with one thought: not let them score too much. Only rarely someone achieves that. No one has the courage and strength to outplay the offensive game of this unit composed from physically, technically and tactically matured hockey players. Particularly multiple champion bitterly realized that this year: Kladno did not gain a single point against Slovan… Marián Šťastný is currently the leading individual in the League, creating with his teammates the strongest unit of the competition – but they´re not alone. There were other players regularly appearing among the best players in the Canadian scoring: Sakáč playing in his life form (although he was paying the price for total attacking of his team in the Canadian scoring to his detriment), defensemen Ujváry and Černý, forwards Miklošovič, Jaško, Bezák. And naturally the whole unit which was nominated into the National team.”

4) Jiri Bubla.
While Bubla became the most productive d-man in the League for 4th time in a row now, he would still slowed down a bit this year as you can see by his -60, he would also miss his buddy Hlinka in Litvínov because he got drafted and played for Trenčín for half of the season. Bubla´s strong 3rd place finish in Golden stick voting (same as in previous season) came this time more on the merit of his WHC ´79 performance, which was most likely his very best showing at that level. In the final report of that Championship is mentioned how he was anchor of the team again and that he won his All-star nod and Directoriate´s best d-man award in spite of playing “half of the final group” (so I assume the last 3 games out of 8 overall) under injections and on his own will because of some unspecified injury.

5) Jan Starsi, Vincent Lukac.
After WHC ´79, there was an interesting interview with Jan Starsi, assistant coach to Karel Gut at the National Team between 1974-1979 (Gut left a year later). Given that Starsi officially finished this tenure, interview was conducted in a balanced appraising mode. I picked just a three questions and answers that caught my attention the most:

Journalist: Which rookie during your tenure fit into the team the most quickly?
Starší: “Definitely Peter Šťastný in a year 1976, one of the most striking talents of our hockey. Already then, three years ago, he managed to increase the level of Nový´s line and to score goals.”

Journalist: 43 players have played during your tenure. Which of them have you perceived as a world class players?
Starší: “Goaltenders Holeček and Dzurilla, defensemen Pospíšil, Bubla and forwards Jiří Holík, Martinec, Hlinka, Ebermann, from younger generation Marián and Peter Šťastný.”

Journalist: Any player whom you gave a chance and left you disappointed?
Starší: “It was an honor for everyone whom we gave an opportunity to fight for a national jersey and their biggest goal was to play for Team Czechoslovakia. Of course not everybody has fully succeeded. For example I expected more from very talented Vincent Lukáč.”

The last sentence was a bit revealing to me. Anybody who closely followed the scoring of CSSR league of 70s and 80s had to notice excellent numbers that Lukac was producing. His domestic scoring finishes are no worse than Martinec´s for example.. Yet, Lukac´s international record looks nothing like a Czechoslovak hockey star of late 70s/early 80s. To add to information that at late 70s he was somewhat of an underachiever internationally, Lukac tended not to provide anything more than scoring and was reputed as quite one-dimensional winger, as his this season´s +/- indicates: of all ‘top 30’ forwards and ‘top 15’ defensemen, Lukac´s -119 was by far the worst record.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1977-1978

TIP magazine:
For seasons 1977-78 and 1978-79, TIP´s best players at G, D and F position were determined solely thanks to aggregate statistical evaluation of each player. I have described those evaluations in the post about previous season. So without further due…

Goaltenders:
Jiri Holecek won the 1978 TIP´s best goalie award with 258 points.
1. Jiří Holeček (Sparta): 42 games / 104 goals allowed / 1202 saves / 258 points
2. Miroslav Kapoun (Litvínov): 42 games / 113 goals allowed / 1283 saves / 257 points
3. Jiří Králík (Jihlava): 43 games / 107 goals allowed / 1088 saves / 237 points
4. Jiří Crha (Pardubice): 44 games / 128 goals allowed / 1238 saves / 212 points
5. Miroslav Krása (Kladno): 24 games / 59 goals allowed / 729 saves / 159 points
6. Vladimír Dzurilla (Brno): 35 games / 117 goals allowed / 1010 saves / 155 points
7. Marcel Sakáč (Slovan): 30 games / 100 goals allowed / 885 saves / 142 points
8. Luděk Brož (Vítkovice): 26 games / 70 goals allowed / 760 saves / 140 points
9. Milan Kolísek (Kladno): 20 games / 52 goals allowed / 525 saves / 116 points
10. Petr Ševela (Trenčín): 28 games / 102 goals allowed / 884 saves / 110 points
1978a.JPG

Defensemen:
Jiri Bubla won the 1978 TIP´s best defenseman award with 294 points.
1. Jiří Bubla (Litvínov): 21 goals / 35 assists / +162 / -146 / 294 points
2. František Pospíšil (Kladno): 11 goals / 31 assists / +144 / -109 / 237 points
3. František Kaberle (Kladno): 9 goals / 18 assists / +176 / -99 / 211 points
4. Miroslav Dvořák (Č. Budějovice): 10 goals / 16 assists / +174 / -131 / 171 points
5. Milan Figala (Vítkovice): 6 goals / 15 assists / +110 / -87 / 123 points
1978b.JPG

Forwards:
Milan Novy won the 1978 TIP´s best forward award with 366 points.
1. Milan Nový (Kladno): 40 goals / 35 assists / +80 / -108 / 366 points
2. Ivan Hlinka (Litvínov): 32 goals / 39 assists / +94 / -131 / 321 points
3. Jaroslav Pouzar (Č. Budějovice): 42 goals / 20 assists / +66 / -103 / 309 points
4. Eduard Novák (Kladno): 37 goals / 11 assists / +132 / -107 / 303 points
5. Josef Ulrych (Litvínov): 30 goals / 17 assists / +120 / -118 / 254 points
1978c.JPG

1. Miroslav Krása (Kladno): 24 games / 59 goals allowed / 729 saves / 0.9251 %
2. Jiří Holeček (Sparta): 42 games / 104 goals allowed / 1202 saves / 0.9204 %
3. Miroslav Kapoun (Litvínov): 42 games / 113 goals allowed / 1283 saves / 0.9191 %
4. Luděk Brož (Vítkovice): 26 games / 70 goals allowed / 760 saves / 0.9157 %
5. Jiří Králík (Jihlava): 43 games / 107 goals allowed / 1088 saves / 0.9105 %
6. Milan Kolísek (Kladno): 20 games / 52 goals allowed / 525 saves / 0.9099 %
7. Jiří Crha (Pardubice): 44 games / 128 goals allowed / 1238 saves / 0.9063 %
8. Marcel Sakáč (Slovan): 30 games / 100 goals allowed / 885 saves / 0.8985 %
9. Petr Ševela (Trenčín): 28 games / 102 goals allowed / 884 saves / 0.8966 %
10. Vladimír Dzurilla (Brno): 35 games / 117 goals allowed / 1010 saves / 0.8962 %

WHC 1978 All-Star Teams:
118 journalists participated with their ballots. I have the number of votes for the 1st team but only list of names of the second team without votes.

1st Team: Jiří Holeček (79 votes) – Jiří Bubla (39), Vyacheslav Fetisov (69) – Alexander Maltsev (23), Ivan Hlinka (58), Sergei Kapustin (60)
2nd Team: Daniel Bouchard – Valeri Vasiliev, Zinetula Bilyaletdinov – Boris Michailov, Marcel Dionne, František Černík

WHC 1978 Save percentage:
1. Denis Herron (Can.): 255 min. (5 games) / 150 SOG / 12 GA / 0.9200 %
2. Jiří Crha (CSSR): 60 min. (1 game) / 24 SOG / 2 GA / 0.9167 %
3. Jiří Holeček (CSSR): 540 min. (9 games) / 226 SOG / 19 GA / 0.9159 %
4. Vladislav Tretiak (USSR): 480 min. (8 games) / 229 SOG / 21 GA / 0.9083 %
5. Erich Weishaupt (West Germany): 502 min. (9 games) / 310 SOG / 33 GA / 0.8935 %
6. Alexander Pashkov (USSR): 120 min. (2 games) / 46 SOG / 5 GA / 0.8913 %
7. Daniel Bouchard (Can.): 344 min. (6 games) / 210 SOG / 24 GA / 0.8857 %
8. Göran Högosta (Swe.): 392 min. (7 games) / 175 SOG / 22 GA / 0.8743 %
9. Antero Kivelä (Fin.): 240 min. (4 games) / 150 SOG / 19 GA / 0.8733 %
10. Hardy Aström (Swe.): 208 min. (4 games) / 117 SOG / 15 GA / 0.8718 %
11. Urpo Ylönen (Fin.): 360 min. (6 games) / 192 SOG / 25 GA / 0.8698 %
12. Peter LoPresti (USA): 540 min. (9 games) / 342 SOG / 50 GA / 0.8538 %
13. Jim Warden (USA): 60 min. (1 game) / 45 SOG / 8 GA / 0.8222 %
14. Bernard Engelbrecht (West Germany): 98 min. (2 games) / 54 SOG / 10 GA / 0.8148 %
15. Roland Herzig (East Germany): 399 min. (7 games) / 178 SOG / 36 GA / 0.7978 %
16. Wolfgang Kraske (East Germany): 201 min. (4 games) / 95 SOG / 21 GA / 0.7789 %
1978d.JPG

Other:
1) Goalies.
Vladimír Dvořáček, former CSSR goalie who played at OG 1960, gives us a quick review of goalie starters in the 78´ Czechoslovak hockey league. I figured it might serve someone´s interest. Considering the names of these goalies, it could also be argued that the Czechoslovak league´ goalie depth was at its peak here…

J. Holeček: “High level of covering the space and of work of legs and hands. Lesser activity in the crease and minimal work with the stick.”

J. Crha: “Excellent, rising form this year, his job is impeded by weaker game of Pardubice´s defense. Good skating-wise, correctly covers the space and aims for a contact with attacking player. A ‘free hand’ [i. e. catch glove, trapper?] is his strong weapon. He can improve the stick-work yet.”

V. Dzurilla: “Always delivers reliable performance, draws from his experience, excellent work with the stick, covering the space and glove saves.”

M. Kapoun: “Still very good. Greatly eliminates specifically mid-high shots. Yet to improve the stick-work, on-ice-shots saving and skating.”

J. Králík: “Belongs to the top through his stable performance, even though his style still has some shortcomings: frequent, useless leaving the goal to the sides (when an opponent can block him away), and reserves (blocker saving).”

I. Podešva: “Fast legs reaction and good mobility; needs to improve skating, stick-work and glove saving.”

L. Brož: “Correct space covering, saving on-ice shots and glove saves; needs to improve stick-work and saving the shots going into higher part of the goal.”

M. Krása: “Very good glove saves and on-ice-shots saving; needs to stabilize the basic stance, to improve the blocker saves, skating and stick-work, to increase the activity.”

M. Sakáč: “Good reaction on mid-high and high shots, lesser mobility and activity in the crease; needs to stabilize the way of saving the shots along the ice.”

M. Kolísek: “Biggest hope among goaltenders, although he needs to polish his goalie style; he can grow into a goalie of high qualities who would fully engage into the game with establishing attacks (just like Canadian Sawchuk and Plante used to attempt for it in the past).”

“The rest of the league goaltenders produce various performances, they usually miss to choose proper style that would serve them best. Therefore the most efficient, fastest, original style; there is no point for instance, to use a ‘butterfly’ when it is not fully extended. We still have reserves here when it comes to goalie preparations. While goaltending individual needs systematic management not just on the physical fitness side of things, but especially on the side of mental endurance. Goalie coaches should be in every clubs and should be established on level of regular club coaches and not just on the professional side of things but also material.”

I would like to expand the description of Vlado Dzurilla here. In a Slovak hockey yearbook ´85, in the Jiri Kralik´s profile, I found a sideway information that Dzurilla maintains to be the only Czechoslovak goaltender who recorded an assist to a goal. Journalist in Gól magazine 1970 points out to Dzurilla that his goaltending style resembles that of famous soccer goalie Lev Yashin and that it is much riskier to execute this way of playing in hockey, even though he has succeeded. “Although does your coach too have an understanding for your trips?”

Dzurilla: “Even if trips are risky, I won´t take the risk at all cost, I´ll go only after the puck which I can get. As far as I know, during these actions coach always stiffens a little.”

I would speculate that Dzurilla´s superior work with the stick, communicating and directing d-men in a defensive zone and overall excitement level that he brings compared to other league goalies is what promoted him up even in this season´s Golden stick voting despite weaker SV% and decision on retiring from international competition for good. Goalies in GS ´78 top 20:
Holecek: 2nd, Dzurilla: 15th, Kralik 17th, Crha 19th, Kapoun 20th.

2) 2 League teams, whose descriptions by Miloslav Charouzd I find most interesting.
Kladno won its 3rd title in a row deservedly. “The most stable, most mature performance tactically and stylistically.” Also the perfect chemistry and ability to destroy opponents´ attacks and to score goals of the 1st unit (Pospisil-F.Kaberle, Bauer-Novy-E.Novak) is stressed. Dominance of this unit is also Kladno´s biggest weakness, for when these players have an off-day, remaining players are not able to fully step up and substitute them (which showed the next season when Pospisil was finishing his career in Germany and Slovan won the title instead of Kladno, I might add).

Sparta Praha finished 3rd and they distinguished themselves by playing much closer to a typical Canadian north-south and very physical style of hockey. The change of playing style is to be credited to Ludek Bukac, future CSSR National team coach between 1980-1985, who also introduced much rougher style of play to the National team in early 80s – to the extent that Tarasov made a critical comment toward Bukac after WHC 1981 that Czechoslovakia ‘is giving up’ on the traditional Czechoslovak way of hockey in which they succeeded in the past.. In any case, Sparta had success this season, although largely thanks to Holecek who led the team without any truly offensively gifted skater. Sparta allowed the least amount of goals of all teams: 111 in 44 games which was 6 less than champions from Kladno and 5 less than ‘defense-first’ army team Jihlava. But their 144 goals scored was no more than 7th best of the 12 league teams.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
^^ IMO this really highlights the depth of the Czechoslovak goaltending pool relative to other European nations and the attention goaltending enjoyed in the ČSSR.

Reactions: DN28 and Killion

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
WHC 1978 All-Star Teams:
118 journalists participated with their ballots. I have the number of votes for the 1st team but only list of names of the second team without votes.

1st Team: Jiří Holeček (79 votes) – Jiří Bubla (39), Vyacheslav Fetisov (69) – Alexander Maltsev (23), Ivan Hlinka (58), Sergei Kapustin (60)
2nd Team: Daniel Bouchard – Valeri Vasiliev, Zinetula Bilyaletdinov – Boris Michailov, Marcel Dionne, František Černík

I'm little surprised that Balderis - who in my understanding played a very good tournament - was not even a 2nd team all-star, whereas his linemate Kapustin made it to the 1st team. Then again, there was clearly more depth at RW.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
I'm little surprised that Balderis - who in my understanding played a very good tournament - was not even a 2nd team all-star, whereas his linemate Kapustin made it to the 1st team. Then again, there was clearly more depth at RW.

Agreed, I would have expected Balderis there too. Although now that I am looking at points scored at that championship, RW ranking of that championship does make some sense: Maltsev 1st among RWs with 13 points, Michailov 2nd with 12 points and Balderis finished 3rd with 11 points...

Shame that we don´t have full voting record, I would be interested how Kuhnhackl did in the voting vs. Hlinka and Dionne. He won the championship scoring after all.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
1976-1977

All-Star Team:

Gól magazine was publishing annual Czechoslovak All-Stars Team from 1969 to 1977. All-Stars Teams were voted by a group of 40+ individuals (coaches and journalists) and both international and domestic performances of players were taken into account. It was voted and announced at exactly same time (and even the same page in the magazine) as the Golden Stick award. You can find these All-Star Teams here. In this thread, I will be posting the whole voting record of every position (I have full voting record of these for most seasons, but not for all).

Goaltenders:
1. Vladimír Dzurilla – 41 votes
2. Jiří Holeček – 1

Right Defensemen:
1. Jiří Bubla – 27
2. Oldřich Machač – 14
3. Milan Chalupa – 1

Left Defensemen:
1. František Pospíšil – 39
2. Milan Kajkl – 2
3. Jan Zajíček – 1

Right Wingers:
1. Vladimír Martinec – 22
2. Marián Šťastný – 20

Centers:
1. Milan Nový – 24
2. Ivan Hlinka – 18

Left Wingers:
1. Bohuslav Ebermann – 31
2. Jiří Holík – 5
3. Marián Šťastný – 2
4. Ivan Hlinka, Vladimír Martinec, Milan Nový, Jaroslav Pouzar – 1

1. Jiří Králík (Jihlava): 32 games / 63 goals allowed / 786 saves / 0.9258 %
2. Miroslav Termer (Kladno): 20 games / 48 goals allowed / 578 saves / 0.9233 %
3. Jiří Holeček (Sparta): 38 games / 99 goals allowed / 1084 saves / 0.9163 %
4. Vladimír Plánička (Č. Budějovice): 28 games / 88 goals allowed / 914 saves / 0.9122 %
5. Marcel Sakáč (Slovan): 43 games / 118 goals allowed / 1212 saves / 0.9113 %
6. Miroslav Krása (Kladno): 23 games / 61 goals allowed / 619 saves / 0.9103 %
7. Ivan Podešva (Vítkovice): 25 games / 80 goals allowed / 807 saves / 0.9098 %
8. Jiří Crha (Pardubice): 41 games / 123 goals allowed / 1160 saves / 0.9041 %
9. Vladimír Dzurilla (Brno): 38 games / 138 goals allowed / 1253 saves / 0.9008 %
10. Miroslav Kapoun (Litvínov): 32 games / 117 goals allowed / 1042 saves / 0.8991 %
1977.JPG

WHC 1977 Save percentage:
Info taken from this site.
1. Göran Högosta (SWE): 7 G / 9 GA / 206 S / 0.9581 %
2. Vladislav Tretiak (USSR): 9 G / 17 GA / 191 S / 0.9183 %
3. David Reece (USA): 5 G / 16 GA / 151 S / 0.9042 %
4. Anthony Esposito (CAN): 9 G / 29 GA / 238 S / 0.8914 %
5. Jorma Valtonen (FIN): 7 G / 25 GA / 205 S / 0.8913 %
6. Hardy Aström (SWE): 4 G / 10 GA / 81 S / 0.8901 %
7. Vladimír Dzurilla (CSSR): 7 G / 18 GA / 142 S / 0.8875 %
8. Jiří Holeček (CSSR): 4 G / 14 GA / 94 S / 0.8704 %
9. Sigmund Suttner (W.GER): 6 G / 23 GA / 138 S / 0.8571 %
10. Alexandr Sidelnikov (USSR): 4 G / 7 GA / 41 S / 0.8542 %
11. Urpo Ylönen (FIN): 4 G / 18 GA / 103 S / 0.8512 %
12. Valerian Netedu (ROM): 10 G / 41 GA / 224 S / 0.8453 %
13. James Rutherford (CAN): 2 G / 6 GA / 32 S / 0.8421 %
14. Michael Curran (USA): 5 G / 27 GA / 143 S / 0.8412 %
15. Anton Kehle (W.GER): 8 G / 35 GA / 139 S / 0.7989 %
16. Gheorghe Hutan (ROM): 6 G / 43 GA / 131 S / 0.7529 %

Other:
1) Hlinka, Ebermann, Pospisil
Claude Bédard, sport journalist and commentator for “Le Journal de Québec” and Montreal Television Company TVA, shared his thoughts about certain Czech players and Canadian National Team after WHC 1977 for Gól magazine. He said:

“Hlinka is unique to me, he is the ‘superstar’ reminding me with his elegance for us legendary Jean Beliveau. Ebermann is excellent, I am willing to bet that he would manage to score regularly 40 – 45 goals per season in NHL. Pospíšil would probably be a member of NHL All-Star Team. I genuinely like your team and in a lot of ways it reminds me Montreal Canadiens. It has a spirit. I will never understand what happened to them in the last game… I hope that next year I will arrive to Prague and that I will be commenting even better championship than this year´s. I am optimist, I assume that Canada now is going to understand how difficult tournament the World Championship is, that they are going to prepare long-term and that to Prague – with this point I am sure – they are going to send significantly better, more competitive, more responsible and more intelligent team…”

2) Suchy
One thing that surprised me are very good stats that Jan Suchy post-30, post int. career, recorded in the League. This thing first caught my eye, when I noticed that after half of 1976-77 season was over, Suchy actually led the League´s “Canadian scoring” for defensemen (i. e. mixed stat of throwing together points and +/-). During this season, Suchy was up there on the scoring table with Pospisil and Bubla almost all season, only by the last quarter of the season he was fading away somewhat and finished 7th among d-men. His 20 points were 4th best among d-men, his +60 was 9th best among d-men and 11th best among all skaters.

I took a look at his other post-prime years and in 1975-76, Suchy´s +85 was 4th best among all skaters. In 1974-75, Suchy actually found himself on the first place among all league skaters with outstanding +135, and he did not even play in the National Team anymore!

What to do with this information? Not a huge deal in my opinion, despite what I´ve just written. Golden Stick voting record is a better indicator of perceived value of contemporary Czechoslovak players and Suchy post-1974 did not gather a lot of votes there (top 10 D in 1977 and 1978, outside of top 10 D in 1975 and 1976). I still wanted to post this information because it (at least in my mind) solidifies the view that Suchy did not just disappear from hockey after he turned 30, actually he maintained to be comfortably top 10 CSSR defenseman for 3-4 years and member of the 1st D pair of the best defending team in the League (Dukla Jihlava).

3) Holecek
While writing long post about CSSR goalies in a previous season 77-78, I completely forgot to add one minor but interesting insight of Jiri Holecek after the end of WHC ´78 and his international career as well. When asked: “What is your opinion on Canadian goaltenders?”
Holecek answers: “The best ones are equal to the European [goalies]. Moreover, they are great in a good work with the hockey stick, in a quick release of a pass. I´ve never learnt that because since youth, coaches rather forced me to play safe.”

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad