Hockey growth in Louisville Kentucky

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Didn't know that, however is the Yum! Centre similar to the Key Arena in Seattle as it's a 60/70s old skool arena that needs upgrades? Also is it an arena only made for basketball similar to the Barclay Centre? If you answered both no to these questions, I would absolutely love to see Cardinals in D1 hockey. That opens a door to a whole new discussion though, such as the school probably wouldn't want to pay for it, so they'll need donors which is easier said than done.

It was built in 2010. It’s made for basketball and adoptable to hockey. When orginalling built they thought about putting ice under the floor but decide not but made Space for the ice if they were to get a team

NHL to Louisville? Republican council members, arena authority chair discuss plausibility of pro hockey at Yum! Center - Insider Louisville

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It was built in 2010. It’s made for basketball and adoptable to hockey. When orginalling built they thought about putting ice under the floor but decide not but made Space for the ice if they were to get a team

NHL to Louisville? Republican council members, arena authority chair discuss plausibility of pro hockey at Yum! Center - Insider Louisville
I'm stupid so what does adoptable to hockey mean? I ask because basketball made stadiums require a different line of sight compared to hockey, which is why basketball made stadiums for hockey really suck. I am not expecting the Cardinals to host 21,000 people for a hockey game, so eyesight isn't a concern, but for the NHL it will absolutely be (as you've probably noticed with the NYIslanders).

I see that Louisville is close to Cincinnati so not sure if that would work for the AHL, but ECHL might be a realistic possibility. I also see that Louisville is close to other USHL teams, I wonder if that would be a great possibility opening the way for others such as D1 college team and ECHL in the future?!

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
I'm stupid so what does adoptable to hockey mean? I ask because basketball made stadiums require a different line of sight compared to hockey, which is why basketball made stadiums for hockey really suck. I am not expecting the Cardinals to host 21,000 people for a hockey game, so eyesight isn't a concern, but for the NHL it will absolutely be (as you've probably noticed with the NYIslanders).

I see that Louisville is close to Cincinnati so not sure if that would work for the AHL, but ECHL might be a realistic possibility. I also see that Louisville is close to other USHL teams, I wonder if that would be a great possibility opening the way for others such as D1 college team and ECHL in the future?!
The YUM center is circular like more hockey venues but the floor is different. When it mean adaptable you can move seats and fixers on the floor leave to adapt to ice or to a basketball court. We are also close to Indy and Nashville as well.

Reactions: S E P H

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I’m not sure if this is the thread to post my piece on this or not, but I’m sure a mod will help me out if not.

Well I’ve been a proud citizen of the Louisville area for all 23 years of my life. Ever since I was a little kid I’ve always been drawn by the great sport of hockey,mainly thanks to my dad who played collegiate hockey at Ohio State University and is from Kitchener, Ontario, where he learned to love the game. Early on in my life, the city had its first taste of Pro hockey when the Louisville Icehawk (later Louisville Riverfrog) of the ECHL. The team gained a lot of support over the 8 years being here. Thanks to that support they then got the Louisville Panthers of the American Hockey League. We all got to witness the first taste of players like Roberto Luongo and Dan Boyle. Playing in a bigger arena and a lot of support around the city. Even with the support after 2 seasons they ultimately decided to move the team.

Couple pages on, bit late to your thread but sure, this would be the place to discuss it obviously and sure, very cool, the State if not Louisville itself having a pretty interesting history with the sport at the Minor-Pro level going back to the 48/49 Season with the Louisville Blades.... then for 3yrs beginning in 57, the Louisville Rebels of the IHL, shades of Vegas this year, the Rebels actually going to the Finals in their 1st season losing by a hair, then winning it all, Turner Cup the following 2 consecutive seasons then sadly moving on, no longer. So just 3 seasons. IHL back then could be a pretty tough brand of hockey; couple of ex-Rebels like Marcel Goyette (brother of former NHL'r Phil) in 124 Games Played running up nearly 375 PIM's... or Moe Bartoli, 111 Games Played with 400 + PIM's.

One of the founders & Coach of that team, former Minor Pro star player himself, guy by the name of Leo Gaspirini of Sudbury Ontario (played for Eddie Shore, played with guys like Don Cherry) named a "Kentucky Gentleman" by the Commonwealth of Kentucky (the highest civilian award they can convey on anyone) for his contributions to the game & Sport in general, pro & amateur. Unfortunate they werent able to stick around huh? Especially after so much success. He returned to Sudbury following the demise of the Rebels where he then founded what is today the Sudbury Wolves of the OHA.

Thereafter, Louisville, Lexington... sporadic history, one season wonders etc until the more modern eras'. Some fabulous names, my favorite the Man o' Wars.... Ideal Minor-Pro market, or at least Ive always figured so. Location ideal bordering Ohio, Indiana, NC etc.... Wealthy enough.... Great place. Gotta love Kentucky. ;)

Last edited:

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Couple pages on, bit late to your thread but sure, this would be the place to discuss it obviously and sure, very cool, the State if not Louisville itself having a pretty interesting history with the sport at the Minor-Pro level going back to the 48/49 Season with the Louisville Blades.... then for 3yrs beginning in 57, the Louisville Rebels of the IHL, shades of Vegas this year, the Rebels actually going to the Finals in their 1st season losing by a hair, then winning it all, Turner Cup the following 2 consecutive seasons then sadly moving on, no longer. So just 3 seasons.

One of the founders & Coach of that team, former Minor Pro star player himself, guy by the name Leo Gaspirini of Sudbury Ontario (played for Eddie Shore, played with guys like Don Cherry) named a "Kentucky Gentleman" by the Commonwealth of Kentucky (the highest civilian award they can convey on anyone) for his contributions to the game & Ssport in general, pro & amateur. Unfortunate they werent able to stick around huh? Especially after so much success. He returned to Sudbury following the demise of the Rebels where he then founded what is today the Sudbury Wolves of the OHA.

Thereafter, Louisville, Lexington... sporadic history, one season wonders etc until the more modern eras'. Ideal Minor-Pro market, or at least Ive always figured so. Location ideal bordering Ohio, Indiana, NC etc.... Wealthy enough.... Great place. Gotta love Kentucky. ;)

Thank you for your input. I feel the growth around here warrants another chance for a team. The growth here over the past 2 decades has really spiked the interest of hockey. Defiantly thanks to the Nashville Predators success and the things they are now doing fur the Kentuckiana area. Vegas has really sparked interest here. I feel every where I go I see a Vegas or Preds shirt or hat. I feel it wouldn’t be a one year wonder again

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thank you for your input. I feel the growth around here warrants another chance for a team. The growth here over the past 2 decades has really spiked the interest of hockey. Defiantly thanks to the Nashville Predators success and the things they are now doing fur the Kentuckiana area. Vegas has really sparked interest here. I feel every where I go I see a Vegas or Preds shirt or hat. I feel it wouldn’t be a one year wonder again

Yeah I have some connections to Tennessee myself so it was great to see that franchise get itself turned around, now one of the hottest tickets, markets in the League. Your other neighbors in Ohio (NC as well but a hike, slightly removed) hopefully pulling off same. Works in progress. Indy & Virginia as well intriguing markets.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Yeah I have some connections to Tennessee myself so it was great to see that franchise get itself turned around, now one of the hottest tickets, markets in the League. Your other neighbors in Ohio (NC as well but a hike, slightly removed) hopefully pulling off same. Works in progress. Indy as well an intriguing market.

Agreed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Nashville might want to look at existing markets, LOUISVILLE, TBTH.....Greenville is out there after 8 seasons after the Rangers affiliation and have stated they're looking at a regional affiliate.... Atlanta, from what we've heard that franchise might be available after the upcoming season, and there's another option there.... the only issue about Atlanta is the arena lease so that may be the direction you want to look at passing on as Nashville has been the secondary affiliate there since the middle of this past season.... but the ECHL Rules stipulate is that ownership committed to buying out Boston/Providence since Nashville only has a "agreement" in Atlanta.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Nashville might want to look at existing markets, LOUISVILLE, TBTH.....Greenville is out there after 8 seasons after the Rangers affiliation and have stated they're looking at a regional affiliate.... Atlanta, from what we've heard that franchise might be available after the upcoming season, and there's another option there.... the only issue about Atlanta is the arena lease so that may be the direction you want to look at passing on as Nashville has been the secondary affiliate there since the middle of this past season.... but the ECHL Rules stipulate is that ownership committed to buying out Boston/Providence since Nashville only has a "agreement" in Atlanta.

Feel if there is possibly a market to be made and investors willing to pay. That Louisville would be a place to look at. They wouldn’t be doing community stuff in a city 2 and an half hours and 186 Miles way if they didn’t see a possible of a market.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I would think that sufficient time has past that Louisville would no longer be considered a "poisoned" market. Situations like Manchester, NH, where the AHL and ECHL teams were swapped (so no break in play) and the fans have stayed away -- that's "poisoned". Contrast that with Worcester, MA, which lost hockey completely for a couple of seasons, and that team is doing much better attendance wise.

It could be done, I just wouldn't count on a Nashville affiliation. They've been affiliated with Milwaukee since their inception and by indications they seem to be happy with that arrangement.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
I would think that sufficient time has past that Louisville would no longer be considered a "poisoned" market. Situations like Manchester, NH, where the AHL and ECHL teams were swapped (so no break in play) and the fans have stayed away -- that's "poisoned". Contrast that with Worcester, MA, which lost hockey completely for a couple of seasons, and that team is doing much better attendance wise.

It could be done, I just wouldn't count on a Nashville affiliation. They've been affiliated with Milwaukee since their inception and by indications they seem to be happy with that arrangement.

I do agree. Louisville wouldn’t be a poisoned market. We have a lot more investors than what we did back then and it would be a completely different owner. I used Nashville as an example because it’s the closes city with a NHL team. Thank you for your input

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

UH, Portland says hello, BruinsFan37, or have you forgotten 1987-1991, entirely, when Sweeney played at Cross Arena, Portland is as equivalent to Worcester, and Manchester is an extremely poor analogy to use.... Manchester didn't lose a team, the others did....

LOUISVILLE is shooting way too high which is why some has directed him towards Atlanta, which is now a potential issue, for Boston, as an affiliation entry point, if the rumblings from those connected inside the Gladiators are and have been reporting if this is the last season of the franchise in Gwinnett, independent of any affiliation, and if there's no resolution lease wise past 2018/19, as also been speculated... there's also Greenville, if Nashville wants a sole affiliation, you're now not getting either Portland or Worcester in 2018/19, as Worcester just renewed with the Islanders and Bridgeport as it has since their inception last season....

ask me this why hasn't Elmira not pursued a franchise, and they are a 'poisoned' MARKET, just as Roanoke went that way after the Express, yes, that market is still likely not as comfortable with the Rail Yard Dogs being there, knowing the history there.... I just don't believe Kentucky overall is a hockey centric hotbed, it's nice that the previous franchises helped to foster that, but these franchises are a business.... first and foremost..... look how hard it was for Comcast to seek a tenant after private owners attempted to do that after the shock of the Pirates abrupt departure in 2015.... where was this 10 to 15 years ago and you could've saved the Louisville market from being 'poisoned'.... it was a challenge in 1996, and it's a volatile business.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
LOUISVILLE:

You realize, Worcester's expansion bid was minimum 250 K to even be considered AND it took them 2 years just to get approved.... now here's a major change and as a comparison when Comcast Spectacor acquired an AHL franchise in 1977, the expansion fee was $100K.... SO THERE'S ANOTHER expenditure in addition to any proposal....

much of that, is in the Railers thread on the ECHL forum, if you want to read through it..... I'M not as sure what the Colorado Eagles owners had to pay the AHL to be granted the 31st team AS they close their era in the ECHL, and Colorado had to still upgrade their arena to meet that requirement.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
UH, Portland says hello, BruinsFan37, or have you forgotten 1987-1991, entirely, when Sweeney played at Cross Arena, Portland is as equivalent to Worcester, and Manchester is an extremely poor analogy to use.... Manchester didn't lose a team, the others did....

LOUISVILLE is shooting way too high which is why some has directed him towards Atlanta, which is now a potential issue, for Boston, as an affiliation entry point, if the rumblings from those connected inside the Gladiators are and have been reporting if this is the last season of the franchise in Gwinnett, independent of any affiliation, and if there's no resolution lease wise past 2018/19, as also been speculated... there's also Greenville, if Nashville wants a sole affiliation, you're now not getting either Portland or Worcester in 2018/19, as Worcester just renewed with the Islanders and Bridgeport as it has since their inception last season....

ask me this why hasn't Elmira not pursued a franchise, and they are a 'poisoned' MARKET, just as Roanoke went that way after the Express, yes, that market is still likely not as comfortable with the Rail Yard Dogs being there, knowing the history there.... I just don't believe Kentucky overall is a hockey centric hotbed, it's nice that the previous franchises helped to foster that, but these franchises are a business.... first and foremost..... look how hard it was for Comcast to seek a tenant after private owners attempted to do that after the shock of the Pirates abrupt departure in 2015.... where was this 10 to 15 years ago and you could've saved the Louisville market from being 'poisoned'.... it was a challenge in 1996, and it's a volatile business.

It’s been 17 years! Hockey has grown so much here. A lot changes in 17 years. I’m from here I live here I involved in the community, hockey has been gaining traction for about 4 years. That is why Nashville has found and interest here and why they have been pitching into the community here to develop even more. Louisville shouldn’t be compared to Elmira, New York, North Huron, Michigan, Worcester Mass, nor Manchester NH. Population wise we are much bigger and economically wise much bigger. Much better than what it was 17 years ago. The amount of corporations that have moved to Louisville over the last 2 decades have brought in a ton of fans and added to the current fan base we already had.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It’s been 17 years! Hockey has grown so much here. A lot changes in 17 years. I’m from here I live here I involved in the community, hockey has been gaining traction for about 4 years. That is why Nashville has found and interest here and why they have been pitching into the community here to develop even more. Louisville shouldn’t be compared to Elmira, New York, North Huron, Michigan, Worcester Mass, nor Manchester NH. Population wise we are much bigger and economically wise much bigger. Much better than what it was 17 years ago. The amount of corporations that have moved to Louisville over the last 2 decades have brought in a ton of fans and added to the current fan base we already had.

unfortunately, that's the reality..... where was your representative prospective owner 16 years ago. like I stated, had that happened Louisville and Lexington likely still have franchises, the reality is you need a hockey specific facility or arena, not Rupp Arena or KFC Yum!, WHY do you think MLS encourages Soccer Specific Stadium/arenas.....

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
unfortunately, that's the reality..... where was your representative prospective owner 16 years ago. like I stated, had that happened Louisville and Lexington likely still have franchises, the reality is you need a hockey specific facility or arena, not Rupp Arena or KFC Yum!, WHY do you think MLS encourages Soccer Specific Stadium/arenas.....

Look at Population growth from 2001 to 2018 look at economic vote. There is plenty of corporations here to own a team. Many of the corporations that are here now weren’t here 17 years ago. Yum! center was also built with hockey in mind. The reason why Louisville is building a Soccer stadium is because we don’t have a soccer stadium for the team to play in. They are playing in slugger field a baseball stadium

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Look at Population growth from 2001 to 2018 look at economic vote. There is plenty of corporations here to own a team. Many of the corporations that are here now weren’t here 17 years ago.
dude, Portland has been going through this twice, as has Worcester, as has Newfoundland, you have to PROVE to the board that the franchise is viable and not subject to past history or as the adage goes it will be repeated.....

all 3 markets are doing that, and will constantly remind their ownership of that fact, you have NOT proved that to a sufficient stance for this board to back ANY attempt in your city.... GOOD DAY

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
dude, Portland has been going through this twice, as has Worcester, as has Newfoundland, you have to PROVE to the board that the franchise is viable and not subject to past history or as the adage goes it will be repeated.....

all 3 markets are doing that, and will constantly remind their ownership of that fact, you have NOT proved that to a sufficient stance for this board to back ANY attempt in your city.... GOOD DAY

If the market is there it will work. The fan base is here. The past is in the past. Louisville had increased population 133% between 2000-2010 and that’s just the city population not all of Jefferson county. The will is here in the city and there will be people will to bring it here . Nashville wouldn’t be here doing stuff for the community if there wasn’t a market. Your also comparing Portland Maine to Louisville Kentucky, yet again another big population and Economically difference.

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
NHL hockey is never going to happen in Louisville. NHL won’t expand past 32 teams first off and even if they were, Louisville would be pretty far down the list behind Houston, Quebec, Hartford, Hamilton, 2nd Toronto, San Diego, Atlanta, and a whole lot of others.

Minor pro hockey for Louisville isn’t a huge stretch at a glance, but Hutch is right in that there’s some flaws in your thinking. You can’t just look at population and interest in pro hockey in a different state. Louisville has a bigger population and GDP per capita than Winnipeg and Quebec (two easiest examples), but the Jets are much better supported in ‘Peg than they could ever be in Louisville and Quebec City fills up their arena with 12,000 Frenchies each night for mediocre major junior hockey, they don’t even have a pro team.

The two things you need to look at are viewing audience and youth hockey participation. Not sure what either of them are in Louisville so I’m not going to say anything there. I'll hazard a guess and say that it's grown but it isn't that impressive.

As for the arena, it looks like the Copps Coliseum situation in Hamilton when they were trying to draw a team there (which they almost did with your Nashville Predators in 2007). If the KFC Yum! Center has 21,000 capacity for hockey like you said, that's comparable to the biggest NHL arenas and they'll be lucky to fill a quarter of it for minor pro hockey. Rent is going to be too expensive in the gargantuan arena unless the arena owner owns the team. That article you posted said they have a temporary ice maker but if you want any regular ice you’re going to need a permanent one. That along with the Zamboni(s) is going to cost just short of a million dollars. They’ve also never hosted a game at the arena in the 8 years they’ve operated it so how exactly do you know there’s interest in the pro game from the fans or potential ownership? Not trying to be harsh, but I'm curious.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
ays hello, BruinsFan37, or have you forgotten 1987-1991, entirely, when Sweeney played at Cross Arena, Portland is as equivalent to Worcester, and Manchester is an extremely poor analogy to use.... Manchester didn't lose a team, the others did....

Manchester is the perfect example to use as to what defines a "poisoned" market. Last year in the AHL Manchester was averaging 6500 per game -- the most recent year of the ECHL they averaged 2700 (despite finishing 2nd in their division). Having your team abruptly taken away and replaced by an inferior product (run by the same people) as well as raising ticket prices/concessions and the fans are not happy with the swap and they're staying away. Yes they have new local management (now), but the Kings did such a horrible job that they're not likely to recover. Wouldn't surprise me if the Manchester team folds sometime in the near future.

Now contrast that with Worcester, who was averaging 3800 per game in their last year of the AHL vs 4300 now and the fans are happy to have hockey back -- even if it is a lower quality product. Of course Worcester has entirely new (and local) management, totally unaffiliated with the previous team, so that helps immensely.

---

When you say a market is "poisoned" you're implying that current/recent ownership has done something to cause fans to stay away, or that the local government has passed regulations to make a team untenable. Put another way, something has happened such that a team is not successful when by all measures it should be. The size of the city/market is irrelevant as to whether or not it's poisoned or not, that's determined by the actions of the current/recent team and/or city government.

In the case of Louisville the last team played nearly a generation (20 years) ago so I have real hard time believing the market is tainted because of that. Nothing in this thread has shown a concerted effort by local government to keep a team away/make it difficult. If anything, a quick search of google indicates the exact opposite -- they're trying to attract a team (although shooting for an NHL team is probably one step too far).

Given the size of Louisville, a mostly ready-to-go mixed use arena that was designed with hockey in mind (unlike the Barclays Center -- so no truck in the corners), and I have a really hard time seeing how an AHL team (never mind an ECHL one) would not work.

Lastly requiring a "hockey only" arena when most NHL teams share their arena with at least one basketball tenant is silly. The only markets that has the NHL and NBA in separate arenas is Minnesota and Arizona, and the only other arena in the NHL built without an basketball configuration is Winnipeg.

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
NHL hockey is never going to happen in Louisville. NHL won’t expand past 32 teams first off and even if they were, Louisville would be pretty far down the list behind Houston, Quebec, Hartford, Hamilton, 2nd Toronto, San Diego, Atlanta, and a whole lot of others.

Minor pro hockey for Louisville isn’t a huge stretch at a glance, but Hutch is right in that there’s some flaws in your thinking. You can’t just look at population and interest in pro hockey in a different state. Louisville has a bigger population and GDP per capita than Winnipeg and Quebec (two easiest examples), but the Jets are much better supported in ‘Peg than they could ever be in Louisville and Quebec City fills up their arena with 12,000 Frenchies each night for mediocre major junior hockey, they don’t even have a pro team.

The two things you need to look at are viewing audience and youth hockey participation. Not sure what either of them are in Louisville so I’m not going to say anything there. I'll hazard a guess and say that it's grown but it isn't that impressive.

As for the arena, it looks like the Copps Coliseum situation in Hamilton when they were trying to draw a team there (which they almost did with your Nashville Predators in 2007). If the KFC Yum! Center has 21,000 capacity for hockey like you said, that's comparable to the biggest NHL arenas and they'll be lucky to fill a quarter of it for minor pro hockey. Rent is going to be too expensive in the gargantuan arena unless the arena owner owns the team. That article you posted said they have a temporary ice maker but if you want any regular ice you’re going to need a permanent one. That along with the Zamboni(s) is going to cost just short of a million dollars. They’ve also never hosted a game at the arena in the 8 years they’ve operated it so how exactly do you know there’s interest in the pro game from the fans or potential ownership? Not trying to be harsh, but I'm curious.

Thanks for your input. Louisville currently has 2 youth league one that is played in the Highlands at alpine ice arena which is more of the intermediate players. Now the others youth league is at Iceland Sports Complex in Anchorage in the east end of Louisville. there they have the 5 local high school play, the UofL team plays, the beer leagues, the youth travel teams and last that’s where the Predators hold their youth clinics and development youth leagues. The thing with the arena, the city is losing revenue from the arena because of the current standing of the arena. They are currently renegotiating the current lease with the University because of the lack of events that are being held there, that’s why the thought of Pro hockey was brought up last summer at the Republican Council meeting. with the NBA denying a team relocating or expanding to Louisville because of the current standing of basket ball in Louisville with UofL, UK, and IU. As for the possible owners, John Schnatter has expressed his desire to bring a pro team of a major sport to Louisville. He is as well from the same town as me in Jeffersonville, IN right acrossed the river. Other reason I believe this is even tho he step down from Papa Johns as the CEO he’s still the owner. Now back to Papa Johns the company. With Papa Johns breaking the deal with the NFL as of this year, Papa Johns has now partnered with Ryan Johansen and the Nashville Predators. I know that could be for money to make up from splitting with the NFL but I also believe there has to be a interest in the sport. With Nashville as contributing to Louisville hockey growth that makes me think they see Louisville as a possible market. Wheather that’s the case or not i don’t know but I just feel there’s a possibility there. Not saying it’ll be an NHL expansion team or relocation. An AHL franchise is more likely but there feels to be an interest. It’s not that I’m saying souly the population is my arguement it’s the population that is relocating here. A lot coming from Midwest cities like St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit and others. Thank you for your input it’s not harsh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad