Hockey Giant >>>>>>>> Hockey Monkey

clyankees47

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver
Ordered a bunch of equipment from Hockey Giant and Hockey Monkey..... both on the same day.

Hockey Giant processes the order immediately and ships it out the next day. Four days later, I get a call from Hockey Monkey at 7 in the morning waking me up to tell me that the discounted item I ordered from them is not in stock and that I would have to substitute the item for another one at full price.

If you have a choice, go with Hockey Giant. Great customer service and efficient operation. Hockey Monkey, on the other hand, doesn't really care about you.

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
Disclaimer: I would have used my LHS, but they have a meager selection.

Anyways, ordered Mission Intake Fusion, RBK 9k elbow pads, and easton slash guards (to get over $100 dollars for the 25% discount) on Sunday night. I haven't gotten an email to verify my order or even show that I made one. Usually every website at least sends you an email saying "Order received. Your order will be processed shortly" From HM, nothing. It's been nearly 3 days. A bit angry

clyankees47

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver
Disclaimer: I would have used my LHS, but they have a meager selection.

Anyways, ordered Mission Intake Fusion, RBK 9k elbow pads, and easton slash guards (to get over $100 dollars for the 25% discount) on Sunday night. I haven't gotten an email to verify my order or even show that I made one. Usually every website at least sends you an email saying "Order received. Your order will be processed shortly" From HM, nothing. It's been nearly 3 days. A bit angry

Hockey Monkey has serious IT issues. It goes beyond not getting an email order. B/c they don't have linked inventory, you basically can't trust what their website says. If it says an item is available, it may not be available. If it says an item is unavailable, it may turn out to be available if you call them up and get them to check personally.

I know now to avoid them at all costs. Whatever discount they'll give you is not worth the headache.

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
Maybe it's just me, and I may be ignorant of the reality, but it would seem that in this era of technology that fixing this problem would be simple. Is there not a way to link the item stock to their online server, and then when an order comes in, scan the item out and have it automatically decrease from the original number? I don't think that's too far fetched of a technology in this day and age.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
I've ordered from both. I had a decent experience with Hockey Giant - ordered a full set of gear, but i noticed that my order wasn't being processed, so i called them, and they said that they couldn't ship Bauer products if I used a Canadian credit card.

Everything worked out okay, but had I not called, they probably wouldn't have contacted me for a couple of days.

Hockey Monkey was pretty smooth, but I only ordered from them once, so don't know much.

debonair399

Mar 12, 2010
I ordered some stuff from Hockey Monkey several months ago. Didn't receive any email notification after I ordered. I had to call to confirm they got my order. It was a hassle. Not a fan. Not going to order from them again.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
icewarehouse is better than both. Free shipping over $100 and no handling charges. They're also either the same price or cheaper than HG/HM.

Totalhockey does free shipping on anythign over $100 and sometimes $75. About 2 or 3 months ago they did a fre shipping on all orders for 24 hours and good prices and customer service.

I bought someting from purehockey once and it took 3 weeks to get it, I was to the point of telling them I want a refund

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Nice thing about Hockey Monkey for me is that they have a store just an hour away from where I live. The level of customer service that I experienced in the 2 times I went there was excellent.

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
Nice thing about Hockey Monkey for me is that they have a store just an hour away from where I live. The level of customer service that I experienced in the 2 times I went there was excellent.

Completely different situation when dealing with an online and regular store. HM's online store is pathetic for the size of its operation, thats why I avoid them at all costs. Their shipping is also highly overpriced which adds to whatever discounts you would have gotten. I shop Hockeygiant, Inline, and HM as a desperate last resort only if I can't get the item anywhere

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
I can always tell if an item I ordered from Hockey Monkey is in stock or not by the next business day. If it's in stock, I get an email telling me my order has been shipped. If not, I get a phone call 3-4 days later asking if I want to substitute a different item(s) or cancel. I've always asked them to discount whatever the substitution might be, usually they do. As others have said though, their inventory is not linked to their website, once they offer a substitution they need to physically check stock before the order is completed.

clyankees47

Jun 14, 2010
Vancouver
I can always tell if an item I ordered from Hockey Monkey is in stock or not by the next business day. If it's in stock, I get an email telling me my order has been shipped. If not, I get a phone call 3-4 days later asking if I want to substitute a different item(s) or cancel. I've always asked them to discount whatever the substitution might be, usually they do. As others have said though, their inventory is not linked to their website, once they offer a substitution they need to physically check stock before the order is completed.

I asked them.... no in fact I pleaded in fairness for them to give me an equivalent discount for the substituted item. They were unequivocally unwilling.

I'm done with them. Never will I order from them again.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Big thing for Monkey though is their selection...seems sometimes you just dont have much of a choice. I totally agree though, they seem to take longer than others to process stuff...and they have multiple warehouses so sometimes something gets taken from one place without the other knowing...or something along those lines(heard it from one of them personally).

If you are aware of this though ahead of time you can be ready for the extra day or two it may take.

Also I have had to just completely cancel orders cause they end up calling me not having the main item I was ordering for anyways...

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
Looks like I'll have to cancel my order, though still hoping for the best. Like I said, ordered three items and still have not received a notice. I'm assuming it's not the Intake Fusion or the slash guards but rather the 9k elbow pads. I'm debating bout canceling my order and finding it elsewhere.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Ordered from HM twice...first time my crackead UPS driver dropped the package off at the wrong house and marked it as "delivered" when it wasn't, but HM refunded me fairly quickly and dealt with UPS on their own. Second time the product shipped out to my house within a week.

Never ordered from HG because it's 10 minutes from my house :D

kenmei

Aug 8, 2010
San Jose, CA
I just ordered a $99 prostock Warrior Dolomite from HM with 20% discount code for their black friday special for their clearance gear.

I got the call that it was out of stock also. But the lady substituted it with the non prostock version and let me chose another curve (I wanted this curve anyways). The non prostock version was $40 more and she gave it to me for the same price (after the discount)

Sucks they didn't give you the same option

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Totalhockey does free shipping on anythign over $100 and sometimes $75. About 2 or 3 months ago they did a fre shipping on all orders for 24 hours and good prices and customer service.

I bought someting from purehockey once and it took 3 weeks to get it, I was to the point of telling them I want a refund

Totalhockey doesn't have real time updated stock on their site and they'll try to sell you just about anything and outright lie to recover a lost sale. HG and HM employees are idiots, don't believe me? Call them and ask a question about something they sell, if the answer isn't in the product description they can't answer it.

Nakket

Sep 27, 2010
Yes, Total Hockey does not update their inventory. I have heard of multiple reports of items being available and then not being shipped. I ordered some stuff from Amazon from TH, and half of it ended up being refunded due to not actually being stop.

Also, my pessimism paid off; my order has shipped, and barring some mixup in size/color, my order should be here with everything I ordered from HM

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Shipping wise, as mentioned before, IceWarehouse - Inline Warehouse, is the way to go.

Hockey Monkey, in my opinion, is so much easier to find your item. I personally like Hockey Monkey the best. Never really had a problem with anything.

Sometimes Hockey Giant seems like they're always behind on updating the stock on the website.

BadHammy*

I've had multiple bad experiences with both. Each has sent me the wrong item AND been out of stock of items their website indicated were in stock. Neither of them offered me a credit of any kind toward a replacement item and I've dropped a lot of money at both. After the last time each of them screwed me, I resolved to never order from them again and I haven't.

dpixel8

Aug 1, 2010
Wisconsin (MSN/MKE)

Total Hockey is WORSE than Hockey Monkey, from my experience. They messed up 4 orders, one being something that was backordered, then I was told it would be in stock in 2 weeks, then told again another 2 weeks. That was the last straw. I said cancel it, I'll buy it elsewhere. They offered me 10% off my next order and I told them they can keep it, I'll be buying my products elsewhere.

If you can't get your website to work properly with your inventory in this day and age, you shouldn't be in business. The only reason places like HM and TH stay in business, is because people will put up with it. Speak with your wallet. That's the only way things change.

dpixel8

Aug 1, 2010
Wisconsin (MSN/MKE)
Totalhockey doesn't have real time updated stock on their site and they'll try to sell you just about anything and outright lie to recover a lost sale. HG and HM employees are idiots, don't believe me? Call them and ask a question about something they sell, if the answer isn't in the product description they can't answer it.

regarding idiots, same with TH. They don't know the difference between Navy and Royal blue. Yet when I received the ROYAL helmet and called and complained, I was told that "EVERYONE on our staff knows what Royal blue and Navy blue are. This is not our mistake"

That was the first err on their part. If I would have known that the following orders were going to be the same headache, I would have sent it back to them and never placed another order with Total Hockey. Live and learn. Fool me once, shame on you...

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Icewarehouse/Inlinewarehouse is the place I go to first for every piece of equipment I want to buy. Their prices are almost always better, and you get 10% off for being a member (buy a $10 t-shirt). They customer service is always fast to respond. They ship quickly (and because of their location, I get items next day). Free shipping over $100.

I highly recommend people give them a try, especially if you are on the West Coast.

elevation

May 25, 2007
Germany
Icewarehouse is also fair to international orders, I never had problems with them...I tried to get a discounted item from HM, but their international rule is, 60$ min shipping costs! As I only wanted gloves (shipping would be about 30$), they told me to buy something more to get up to the 60$...but nothing I asked for was on stock, I really tried to find something I could use...then it took me 5 emails to get only the gloves finally shipped then for 60$...no more monkeys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad