Hockey Family Lineage

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It takes a lot to get there, but from what I can find from a little digging.....

it interesting to note that the Boston Bruins have turned Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Johnny Boychuck and Dougie Hamilton into;

*Dennis Seidenberg
*Alexander Khokhlachev
*Loui Eriksson
*Joe Morrow
*Jimmy Hayes
*Zac Phillips
*and recent draft prospects; Zach Senyshyn, Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Jeremy Lauzon, and Brandon Carlo
*and still to come; a 2nd & 3rd round pick (NYI) next year.

Worth mentioning there was a Stanley Cup in there too.

Also worth mentioning that the 15th pick has a 40% chance of playing 100 NHL Games; 2nd round picks are around 30%

Thoughts?

Obviously, it is never quite this simple, but I still think this is still awful asset management and nothing to brag about.

True not all the results are in, and this list can sway big time yet.

Just the same, I want to see improvement in this area moving forward.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
you forgot Reilly Smith :sarcasm:

But looking at that list I would agree that the Bruins need to get better at managing their assets. :(

I know the Bs did make changes to their scouting department and hopefully this will bear fruit as well.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Trades are all about value.

Thornton trade: terrible value
Kessel trade: made sense. They were legitimately over the cap with a 116 point team and they traded the guy who didn't want to be here and drove his value well. Got lucky that the Leafs were worse than expected but that is always a good bet.
Seguin trade: bad value. I can understand trading him but the downfall was trading him at the moment when he had the lowest trade value, definitely sold low on a guy you could trade anytime you want to.
Hamilton trade: Hamilton put them in a bad position and management did a poor job of handling the situation and didn't get a satisfactory return. It is a good bet they will come out on the losing end of that trade.

Generally speaking yes trading high end players is an almost surefire way to lose a trade, catastrophically so in some cases.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It takes a lot to get there, but from what I can find from a little digging.....

it interesting to note that the Boston Bruins have turned Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Johnny Boychuck and Dougie Hamilton into;

*Dennis Seidenberg
*Alexander Khokhlachev
*Loui Eriksson
*Joe Morrow
*Jimmy Hayes
*Zac Phillips
*and recent draft prospects; Zach Senyshyn, Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Jeremy Lauzon, and Brandon Carlo
*and still to come; a 2nd & 3rd round pick (NYI) next year.

Worth mentioning there was a Stanley Cup in there too.

Also worth mentioning that the 15th pick has a 40% chance of playing 100 NHL Games; 2nd round picks are around 30%

Thoughts?

Obviously, it is never quite this simple, but I still think this is still awful asset management and nothing to brag about.

True not all the results are in, and this list can sway big time yet.

Just the same, I want to see improvement in this area moving forward.

The desirable mark would be 500 games indicating at least 8 full seasons. I think 50% of first rounders hit that mark on average,don't they?

BruinsCupNow

Mar 9, 2002
Toronto.
Visit site
If you want to play this game, you have to play it fairly. Which means it's not what you got for Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton. It's what you got for Kessel alone (and of course, Boychuk and Thornton, as well as other bits that went along in many of the trades involved here).

Not attacking or defending management. Just aiming for clarity. ;)

-BCN

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If you want to play this game, you have to play it fairly. Which means it's not what you got for Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton. It's what you got for Kessel alone (and of course, Boychuk and Thornton, as well as other bits that went along in many of the trades involved here).

Not attacking or defending management. Just aiming for clarity. ;)

-BCN

Sure, there is that way....to break these things down in pieces.

Like Kessel brought a return of Tyler Seguin (Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser), Jared Knight (Zac Phillips) and Doug Hamilton (Senyshyn, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Lauzon).....

Present day equivalent is Kessel for Eriksson, Jimmy Hayes, Joe Morrow, Zac Phillips, Senyshyn, Forsbacka-Karlsson and Lauzon.

I think it is fair to analyze how trades have positively impacted a team through the continuance of time, as it proves a team protects its assets (or does not protect assets) and makes the most of them visa vie value per asset.

I see your method as constructive also, but this is bigger picture. Don't know how it isn't fair? You can do it with all teams, and the results are sometimes very impressive.

Harry Sinden shows very well with this test. (See other thread)

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Sure, there is that way....to break these things down in pieces.

Like Kessel brought a return of Tyler Seguin (Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow and Matt Fraser), Jared Knight (Zac Phillips) and Doug Hamilton (Senyshyn, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Lauzon).....

Present day equivalent is Kessel for Eriksson, Jimmy Hayes, Joe Morrow, Zac Phillips, Senyshyn, Forsbacka-Karlsson and Lauzon.

I think it is fair to analyze how trades have positively impacted a team through the continuance of time, as it proves a team protects its assets (or does not protect assets) and makes the most of them visa vie value per asset.

I see your method as constructive also, but this is bigger picture. Don't know how it isn't fair? You can do it with all teams, and the results are sometimes very impressive.

Harry Sinden shows very well with this test. (See other thread)

But without that distinction (Kessel=Seguin and Hamilton), the return for Kessel pretty much equals just Phillips in the OP, which obviously does not reflect well on the series of trades.

Bruinguru

Jul 8, 2013
Saskatoon, SK
But without that distinction (Kessel=Seguin and Hamilton), the return for Kessel pretty much equals just Phillips in the OP, which obviously does not reflect well on the series of trades.

That's like saying that I could be the world's best baseball player if nobody else over the age of 8 was allowed to play...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad