Hockey equipment substitutions

looksshootsscores

Jul 2, 2010
Hey guys, so my friend and I want to go play open hockey tomorrow. I have all the regular equipment, but my friend only has a stick, gloves and skates. He has a motor cross chest protector with some shoulder padding--do you think that would work?

Also, what are some substitutions for other equipment parts? We'll likely have to try and pick up a helmet as there's no way to get around that. Also, the socks are no issue and more likely than not he'll probably go without elbow guards.

Any ideas.

Thanks guys

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hey guys, so my friend and I want to go play open hockey tomorrow. I have all the regular equipment, but my friend only has a stick, gloves and skates. He has a motor cross chest protector with some shoulder padding--do you think that would work?

Also, what are some substitutions for other equipment parts? We'll likely have to try and pick up a helmet as there's no way to get around that. Also, the socks are no issue and more likely than not he'll probably go without elbow guards.

Any ideas.

Thanks guys
Before I moved to Vancouver I would play shinny all the time with just skates/stick/gloves, but shinny is not the same as full equipment hockey, guys are going way harder in real hockey (even pick up), there's no way I'd play real hockey without a full set of equipment. If everyone else is in full equipment, they'll play more rough/reckless, you should be in full equipment too. The motorcross chest protector should work OK (some guys don't even wear chest protectors, it's the one piece of gear you can maybe get away without), but all the other pieces he's missing (elbow pads, shin guards, cup, helmet, pants) are absolutely necessary. Not sure how you think elbow pads are unimportant, especially if the guy is new to the game he'll probably be falling a fair bit, crack your exposed elbow on the ice and there's a good chance you end up in the hospital.

You must have other friends who play hockey, you should just try to borrow gear from one of them. If not, and if your buddy is absolutely dead set on playing, tell him to go to a used equipment store and just pick up some dirt cheap gear.

looksshootsscores

Jul 2, 2010
Yeah definitely agree about the elbow padding, but I guess graceful landing. haha. But we did go to the discount store, and a lot of the equipment used or not is pretty jacked up because of the name brands. Really sad that a Bauer shin guard used is worth 60 bucks because of the brand name.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah definitely agree about the elbow padding, but I guess graceful landing. haha. But we did go to the discount store, and a lot of the equipment used or not is pretty jacked up because of the name brands. Really sad that a Bauer shin guard used is worth 60 bucks because of the brand name.
You're either going to a real ****** used equipment store, or they're top of the line shin guards that were lightly used. Entry level, NEW Bauer shin guards are around $30, so those $60 used ones better be damn high end. One of my friends recently bought a chest protector, elbow pads, shin guards, socks, pants and skates for $100 at a used equipment store, all low end stuff and decently used, but that's around what you should be paying if you're looking to spend as little as possible.

Craig'slist is also a good spot for cheap gear, might be able to find someone selling a full set of equipment for cheap.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
agree with the idea of looking at local craigslist/ kijiji

besides used sports shop, could also try thrift shops.

not sure if they have hockey equipment @ some of the thrift shops where you are, but come across some hockey equipment at salvation army, value village plus some of the local smaller thrift shops all the time. adult larger sized is a little harder to find - don't see many helmets or pants but the rest of the stuff appears regularly at a half decent price. For example, my local value village has a pair of 14" sherwood shin pads still in pkg. for $15 (and they are usually the most expensive thrift shop locally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad