Hockey Equipment Locker/Air Out for Garage

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Hey Guys,

I just moved into a new house and would like to build/buy something that I can use to air out my equipment on. I currently just spread it across some shelves that are empty, but I imagine by summer time they will be more full as we get more stuff for the house. My wife does not want me to air out my gear in the house for obvious reasons.

What do you guys do?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Using the support columns under the deck, I built a 3 x 4 foot wooden box with a fold down lid that's about 2 feet tall. Then I put a small fan heater in there to dry my wet equipment. On the underside of the lid I attached a bungee net to hold my gloves and elbow pads. I put a hook under the lid as well to hold my helmet, and I drilled a small hole in the plastic of my shin pads so they could hang down in the box when drying
20171216-104001.jpg

20171216-103905.jpg

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hey Guys,

I just moved into a new house and would like to build/buy something that I can use to air out my equipment on. I currently just spread it across some shelves that are empty, but I imagine by summer time they will be more full as we get more stuff for the house. My wife does not want me to air out my gear in the house for obvious reasons.

What do you guys do?

Could buy something like this also it's pretty pricey at $50 or build something similar yourself with simple supplies if you're handy.

41GQ6WV77cL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Gear-Hockey-Equipment-Dryer-Rack/dp/B004CVZXNC

I have a home gym in my garage and usually just hang my stuff on my power rack.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I've just always used this foldable clothes-drying rack that we have in the basement near the washer/dryer. As long as I take my stuff out of the bag and hang it up as soon as I get home from a game, it works fine.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I put up a pegboard in the garage, and put in a bunch of hooks to hang my gear to air it out. I have a tree like above, but the pegboard takes up less floor space.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I use a free-standing hanger tree, like the dryer rack above but mostly for coats, hats, etc. You could probably find one for cheap/free on Craigslist, and, if necessary, buy a few more hooks. It works well but does take up a bit more space.

I also don't air out in the garage in winter (things never really dry), so I like that I can move it around.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Could buy something like this also it's pretty pricey at $50 or build something similar yourself with simple supplies if you're handy.

41GQ6WV77cL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Gear-Hockey-Equipment-Dryer-Rack/dp/B004CVZXNC

I have a home gym in my garage and usually just hang my stuff on my power rack.
I built three of these for my kids a bunch of years ago. Was pretty simple. I will use one for my reffing gear if I ever get off my ass and put it back together after my move.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
IKEA have a decent one for £25, not sure if you people have IKEA stores out in USA land. A friend made his using offcuts of wood bought cheap from the local DIY store.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
In our basement my gear goes on a plastic shelf unit I put together and I made my sone an equipment rack made out of PVC pipes.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Just finished washing all of my gear today, few pieces at a time (not including skates and helmet of course), using a front load washing machine and airing them out to dry. Even washed the whole bag as well. No damage to any of it, gloves especially seem much fresher. You cannot use the clothes dryer though, in case that isn't obvious. Also, a washing machine with agitator (top loader), will probably damage your gear.

Found these plans online to build a simple timber rack for your gear, something to consider for about 20 bucks in material Ryobi North

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
61t6yZPuySL._SY879_.jpg

this Wet Gear rack plus a 20" fan. Those clips are pretty weak but I can get all my senior XL/XXL gear on it...not an insignificant feat because gear this big is very large and heavy.

Works okay.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Since I've began playing hockey 6-7 years ago, I've hung up my stuff on the Rocket Sports Dryer as soon as I get home from hockey. It sits in the garage and takes up very little space. The next day after work I'll turn on the dryer for about 2 hours, and all my stuff will be dry. In the summer when it's hot outside, I'll just open the garage a little to let some air in and it will usually dry in less than a day, so no need to turn on the dryer.

I wash my gear about 1/year, and spray with antimicrobial Febreze about once a month. My stuff is in excellent condition, no smell at all.

This was seriously one of the best purchases I've made related to hockey.
Rocket Sport Dryer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad