GDT: Hockey Day in Mi... - 17.1.2015 Coyotes @ Wild FSN 8PM / 4AM Suami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

Just got back from the games. Won't really comment on the Gopher game as this is the Wild GDT, other than to say it was a pretty lopsided affair. Wild game looked promising through the first half, then I don't know what the **** happened. Koivu and Prosser were bad, but I thought Coyle and Dubnyk were good. Hanging on for dear life during the entire third period, this better not be the return of the turtle.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Just got back from the games. Won't really comment on the Gopher game as this is the Wild GDT, other than to say it was a pretty lopsided affair. Wild game looked promising through the first half, then I don't know what the **** happened. Koivu and Prosser were bad, but I thought Coyle and Dubnyk were good. Hanging on for dear life during the entire third period, this better not be the return of the turtle.

I was at both as well and couldn't agree more. We fell back in the last 30 mins and we were lucky to sneak out with the W

J22*

Certain vets are mailing it in. Are they trying to get the coach fired, or are they just disinterested? If Yeo has to go, I want a real hardass to come in who will challenge ALL the players to play with effort.

Not sure I follow you on that. What vets were mailing it in tonight?

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
1st period:

- Yeo giving all of 10 seconds of powerplay time to second unit again. Seriously, man. Give your head a shake.
- Great to get Coyle on the board. Hope this gives him a much needed shot of confidence. Great work by Nino on the goal too.
- Still hate this multi-millionaires vs. kids powerplay setup. Yeo just can't coach a powerplay. I don't care if it's Brunette or whoever who's in charge of it at the moment, it's been a constant theme during Yeo's time here. If he ends up fired, this will be one of the main reasons. Unacceptable.

2nd:

- Coyle is on tonight. Using his strength like we hope for.
- Wasn't Mike Smith supposed to suck? Minnesota Wild: making your sieve goaltenders look like world beaters, since 2000.
- Zucker. Still dreamy.
- Fluky goal for Arizona. Nino & Coyle playing with piss and vinegar.

3rd:

- Parise-Koivu-Pominville is playing strangely ineffective hockey.
- Dubnyk still very solid.
- Empty netter for Parise. Nice.

So Wild took care of business. One game at a time they can still build something here. Plenty of games left in the season.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Not sure if anyone else has commented about Dumba in tonights game but I thought he played great again. Definitely has a lot more confidence. One thing I noticed is he is deferring to his partner on breakouts. I understand he wants to limit making any mistakes while he's up here. If we're ever up big again in the 3rd i'd like to see Yeo send him out there with a message to lead an aggressive breakout. That's probably me being a selfish fan wanting to see some of the electricity he can bring. Why not turn him loose when you can afford for him to make a mistake.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Just finished the game. It was like a trademark Wild hockey game. At first they were good, then excellent. Possession, shots, scoring chances, physicality.. everything. But couldn't score more than two. And then followed by an anemic third.

But got to admit.. decent/good goal tending can save a lot. At their best they look amazing, superb! At worst their game is meaningless, lifeless and stationary.

I'm already worried about Vanek's legs (reminds too much of Heater). I think Koivu looked decent tonight. Nino was good, Zucker and Coyle looked awesome, Scandella had one very good slapshot once again and a strong return. Liked Dumba early. Dumba and Folin make some timely mistakes, but I like their mindset. They've got a lot of upsides too comparing to Prosser, Falk, Bickel and co. Dubnyk uses his stick much better than Backs and Kuemper for sure.

Billy Mays Here*

I mean there's something off there that I can't put my finger on. It just doesn't work with those guys.

Well Parise is a great player and plays well with everyone. Pominville has been able to put up points on just about every line too. That just leaves. . . .

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Well Parise is a great player and plays well with everyone. Pominville has been able to put up points on just about every line too. That just leaves. . . .

I dont agree with you, I don't think Pominville plays well with everyone. I agree that Koivu was horrible though.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Not sure if anyone else has commented about Dumba in tonights game but I thought he played great again. Definitely has a lot more confidence. One thing I noticed is he is deferring to his partner on breakouts. I understand he wants to limit making any mistakes while he's up here. If we're ever up big again in the 3rd i'd like to see Yeo send him out there with a message to lead an aggressive breakout. That's probably me being a selfish fan wanting to see some of the electricity he can bring. Why not turn him loose when you can afford for him to make a mistake.

I agree, I think he has been great since he has been up. Has not been a defensive liability and provides so much more on the offensive end of the rink than Prosser, Falk, Blum, etc. And he is not afraid to mix it up and old his own lately.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Didn't comment on Dumba but I meant to. Thought he looked great last night. I'm starting to wonder if it might be better for his development to stay up. They could give him #1 PP time and sheltered ES minutes working very closely with Wilson, to really focus on the areas he needs to grow if he's going to be a star D-man.

Sometimes it's easy to forget he's not even drinking age yet. :laugh:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Didn't comment on Dumba but I meant to. Thought he looked great last night. I'm starting to wonder if it might be better for his development to stay up. They could give him #1 PP time and sheltered ES minutes working very closely with Wilson, to really focus on the areas he needs to grow if he's going to be a star D-man.

Sometimes it's easy to forget he's not even drinking age yet. :laugh:

Like I said last night, I think we should package our first and Spurgeon to get a real C. or move up in the draft if it gets us far enough

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Like I said last night, I think we should package our first and Spurgeon to get a real C. or move up in the draft if it gets us far enough

What kind of return could we get for Spurgeon and a First though? I value Spurgeon fairly highly, but his size lowers his value despite him being a Fringe Top 2, Top 4 D man.

If we're getting a true #1 center, might as well trade someone like Koivu or Granlund too.

Granlund, Spurgeon, 1st could get you a lot in return in my opinion. Fontaine could probably be added too.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
What kind of return could we get for Spurgeon and a First though? I value Spurgeon fairly highly, but his size lowers his value despite him being a Fringe Top 2, Top 4 D man.

If we're getting a true #1 center, might as well trade someone like Koivu or Granlund too.

Granlund, Spurgeon, 1st could get you a lot in return in my opinion. Fontaine could probably be added too.

Granny, Spurgeon and a 2015 1st is a huge package. I think that'd pull in someone like RNH or ROR (obviously we'd need to assure an extension with ROR). Wonder if it's close to Monahan?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Here are a couple more pics of him.

sarah-hendrickson-usoc-portraits-11.jpg

USA_Sarah_Hendrickson_WSJusa_2013.jpg

OMG I have been wondering this for a COUPLE MONTHS. Bless her heart. Beautiful.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Granny, Spurgeon and a 2015 1st is a huge package. I think that'd pull in someone like RNH or ROR (obviously we'd need to assure an extension with ROR). Wonder if it's close to Monahan?

We're not in any better position swapping those assets for an ROR or RNH. We'd need a Seguin level player at the very least.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
We're not in any better position swapping those assets for an ROR or RNH. We'd need a Seguin level player at the very least.

Yeah, I wouldn't want ROR for that kind of package that we'd be giving up. We definitely wouldn't be adding Granlund in that deal. Never been a big fan of ROR in general either, doesn't seem like he's that #1 center we could rely on.

Seguin is who I'd like and if Dallas continues to struggle, this might be a move that could go through. We'd have to add more though imo and even then I don't know if Dallas would do that. They definitely need to improve their D core and they have the offensive depth to afford losing a top guy like Seguin to do that, just don't know if Spurgeon + 1st is enough to compromise the difference between Seguin and Granlund because of Granny's struggles this year.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Why would a team in playoff contention move the league's leading goalscorer for that?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Why would a team in playoff contention move the league's leading goalscorer for that?

Not saying they would. Just who I'd like to see targeted if we're giving up 2 young roster players that are most likely going to be Top 2 & Top 6 players, as well as a 2015 1st. I personally don't want to move any of our players at the moment.

And I said if Dallas continues to struggle, AKA out of playoff contention by trade deadline.

J22*

You're not gonna get a young guy who is already playing like a 1st line center from anybody. If you want young, you're going to have to take a chance on a guy who isn't proven to be a star yet like Dallas did with Seguin. Guys who fit that mold would be RNH, Kadri, Couturier, Schenn, Henrique, Hodgson, Zibanejad, maybe Barkov . If you want a proven guy, you're either looking at older/overpriced guys like Staal, Thornton, Spezza, Kesler or guys who aren't ideal 1st line centers like O'reilly, Stepan, Brassard, Little, Plekanec, Desharnais, Filppula.

IMO- Spurgeon and a 1st probably gets you close to anyone on the list and is an overpay for quite a few. Adding Granlund probably gets you anyone on the list, but I'm not sure it would be worth it for the Wild.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you want young, you're going to have to take a chance on a guy who isn't proven to be a star yet like Dallas did with Seguin. Guys who fit that mold would be RNH, Kadri, Couturier, Schenn, Henrique, Hodgson, Zibanejad, maybe Barkov.

Maybe Barkov? Of those guys you listed, Barkov has the highest potential. Henrique and Hodgson are already 24 and don't have #1 C potential, Kadri as well, plus I just don't like him. Schenn is 23 and in the same boat.

That leaves RNH, Couturier and Zibanejad. Quite honestly I don't think any one of them are going to be that much better than Granlund, so there's no point in trading for them.

I'd be ok with trying to move up at the draft if the right guy is available, but if this tier of players is the only tier we can get in a trade, we are better off not making a move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig