Hockey Day in Canada-A Personal Story

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
On the NHL Network earlier and there will be more programming later this afternoon is Hockey Day in Canada. To get into the spirit, did what I did many times, many years ago, grabbed my skates, stick gloves, ect, and walked to a pond two blocks from the D Rex dungeon. A few kids were playing, some are my students, some of the younger ones will be in the future. It's always a fond memory to get back on that pond. Where I live way up upstate, it's a bit like it is in Canada, go outside, play hockey all day with your friends, not a care or worry in the world. My mother was from Quebec City so it was only natural for her to put skates on my feet and a stick in my hands at an early age.

The kids needed another player so why not, might as well play. Not too hard, didn't want to hurt anyone just fit in. It was beautiful being 14 years old again for a few hours. I was Rex, one of the guys, not the science teacher, not the geologist. It was a joy, the sounds of skates, the puck making contact with the stick and all you can hear and see playing hockey. No matter how untrue it was, for a few hours to be young, so free again felt good. To be out there out on that pond, it reminds of all that was and is good. Playing the "best game you can name" as the song says, was it, did not matter If I scored, did not matter who won, it was fun and that is all that counted.

Time to walk back home, reality set back in. I turned back to being the teacher, not 14 but 61 years old. Was hoping for a Twilight Zone moment, being back in time for good, to get another chance to relive it all again. Stepping back into the house produced fond yet bitter moment. So many times Mom had a nice hot lunch ready for when the morning of hockey was over. I walked through the door, there was no one there with a hot lunch for me, my visit back in time was officially over.

Thanks for reading this little Hockey Day story. Guess the moral of the story is hope the game of hockey has given you as much pleasure that it has given me over the years. Most of all enjoy your time with your families.

In memory to my mom, 7/14/19-1/18/12

Let's go Islanders,
Rex

Last edited:

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
On the NHL Network earlier and there will be more programming later this afternoon is Hockey Day in Canada. To get into the spirit, did what I did many times, many years ago, grabbed my skates, stick gloves, ect, and walked to a pond two blocks from the D Rex dungeon. A few kids were playing, some are my students, some of the younger ones will be in the future. It's always a fond memory to get back on that pond. Where I live way up upstate, it's a bit like it is in Canada, go outside, play hockey all day with your friends, not a care or worry in the world. My mother was from Quebec City so it was only natural for her to put skates on my feet and a stick in my hands at an early age.

The kids needed another player so why not, might as well play. Not too hard, didn't want to hurt anyone just fit in. It was beautiful being 14 years old again for a few hours. I was Rex, one of the guys, not the science teacher, not the geologist. It was a joy, the sounds of skates, the puck making contact with the stick and all you can hear and see playing hockey. No matter how untrue it was, for a few hours to be young, so free again felt good. To be out there out on that pond, it reminds of all that was and is good. Playing the "best game you can name" as the song says, was it, did not matter If I scored, did not matter who won, it was fun and that is all that counted.

Time to walk back home, reality set back in. I turned back to being the teacher, not 14 but 61 years old. Was hoping for a Twilight Zone moment, being back in time for good, to get another chance to relive it all again. Stepping back into the house produced fond yet bitter moment. So many times Mom had a nice hot lunch ready for when the morning of hockey was over. I walked through the door, there was no one there with a hot lunch for me, my visit back in time was officially over.

Thanks for reading this little Hockey Day story. Guess the moral of the story is hope the game of hockey has given you as much pleasure that it has given me over the years. Most of all enjoy your time with your families.

Let's go Islanders,
Rex

Great post. Enjoyed reading it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Let's go Islanders,
Rex

:handclap: The best sport in the world to keep you young.

scott99

May 13, 2005

In memory to my mom, 714/19-1/18/12

Let's go Islanders,
Rex
Great post as usual Rex, you are a hockey god ! My story isn't as good as yours, just brings back memories of how great Mom's are. I grew up in Queens Village, Queens, and didn't truly catch the hockey bug until I was 14. Like most kids, I followed the sports my Dad did, and he didn't care for hockey at all. So luckily I had good friends who were into hockey, and they got me addicted. One icy day in front of my house, we turned the old baseball pitchback backwards and turned it into hockey nets, and like I said, after several hours, I was hooked. Several months later, my same hockey playing buddies moved on to roller hockey. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford skates.

My Dad had lost his job and was unemployed for over a year. Though he had just started a new job, the money was still not flowing into the household just yet. So there I sat on my stoop as my buddies had gone to the park to play roller hockey. Depressed as I was, I was never a spoiled kid, never really mentioned why I was sad, but like most Moms, my mom knew. All of a sudden, my Mom opens up the front door, sits down next to me on the stoop, and says, "Let's go to Herman's and get you those skates". It's something I will never forget, they were the best roller skates ever (in my mind), and one of the happiest moments of my life. I was a terrible skater, no fault of the skates, but more fault of my lack of talent. But I pictured myself as Denis Potvin as I skated in the park with my friends and unleashed my deadly slapshot (which was damned good if I say so myself).

As I sit here writing this, I think about what a great Mom I have, and how somehow she miraculously came up with the money for the skates, and how it brings a tear to my eye every time I tell the story. Gotta go though, have a dinner date with my Mom tonight. Hockey brings up great emotions and great memories.

Great story Rex, and thanks for bringing up these memories.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

In memory to my mom, 714/19-1/18/12

Let's go Islanders,
Rex

Nice story, I enjoyed reading it as well :handclap:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

In memory to my mom, 7/14/19-1/18/12

Let's go Islanders,
Rex

Good read! :handclap::nod::)

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
These posts bring back great hockey memories. When I was a kid I used to live in Canada for a few years. There were tons of other guys in my neighborhood (probably 9-10), and all within 1-2 years of me. We used to go down the street to the home of a former NHL player-who built a homemade rink in his back yard. He had a mini zamboni thingy that you pushed with your hands and everything. He had boards up, and we used to play outdoors on there for hours at a time. The whole back yard would be snow higher than we could stand-with one narrow pathway dug out by us (that probably took longer than we even played for). He used to let us just hop over his fence and play-didn't even have to knock on his door and ask for permission. Those were the days. To show you guys in NY (and especially people here in Florida) just how much hockey is a part of the culture I'll never forget one day we had a HUGE snow storm. Schools were closed-everywhere was closed. Except for 1 place. My friend and I boarded his dad's snow mobile-and we snowmobiled to hockey practice-that STILL happened. This is in Oakville (a suburb or Toronto), so not the middle of nowhere-so you can imagine.

And for the Long Island natives my dad and I used to play pond (er lake hockey I guess) on Lake Ronkama if it gets cold/frozen enough-great times too. Just playing with my dad early in the mornings, after enjoying some hot chocolate. The purest and best way to enjoy the game is on a lake/pond if you ask me!

edit: it may sound weird but I enjoy watching a high school game, good leagues with players who'll never make the NHL (OJHL I used to go to all of the time), more than watching a NHL game.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Thanks for reading, the story was a tribute to my and all the hockey moms. Since there is no school today, might was well go to the pond and play some hockey before this afternoon's game!

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Thanks for reading, the story was a tribute to my and all the hockey moms. Since there is no school today, might was well go to the pond and play some hockey before this afternoon's game!

D-Rex you posted a really beautiful story. It's weird how our connection to a simple game, can have such an impact on us. The sense of warmth and fullfillment it brings when we look back at our memories of playing and spending time with fam in the car traveling to early morning practice or some game. I'm so happy you got to step back on the ice and feel that moment of freedom that comes with having a pair of skates on and stick in hand. It sets you free, if only for what seems like an ethereal moment.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
D-Rex you posted a really beautiful story. It's weird how our connection to a simple game, can have such an impact on us. The sense of warmth and fullfillment it brings when we look back at our memories of playing and spending time with fam in the car traveling to early morning practice or some game. I'm so happy you got to step back on the ice and feel that moment of freedom that comes with having a pair of skates on and stick in hand. It sets you free, if only for what seems like an ethereal moment.

Thanks, always nice to get back on the ice every once in a while, wish I had more time to do so. Mom was the hockey expert in the family and have no brothers or sisters, gave me a lot of attention so I could play and without her would not have able to play in high school and college.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Great post. It's amazing how we can take the most simple, everyday things for granted sometimes.
Cherish every moment.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks, always nice to get back on the ice every once in a while, wish I had more time to do so. Mom was the hockey expert in the family and have no brothers or sisters, gave me a lot of attention so I could play and without her would not have able to play in high school and college.

Great stores D Rex and Scott. At age 63, and only skating for the past four years and playing hockey for the past three, it is a little late to have my mom (1915-2010) drive me to my games.

However, I am trying to make up for lost time. I play on a team age 19 and up which keeps me young, practice on an outdoor rink near my home, and skate at noon hour from work.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Great stores D Rex and Scott. At age 63, and only skating for the past four years and playing hockey for the past three, it is a little late to have my mom (1915-2010) drive me to my games.

However, I am trying to make up for lost time. I play on a team age 19 and up which keeps me young, practice on an outdoor rink near my home, and skate at noon hour from work.

Sweet ! Sometimes I've very jealous of my Canadian hockey brothers and sisters. My intense love of hockey also includes the country just north of me. I love Canada, just a wonderful country with incredibly friendly hard working people. And the fact they are hockey crazy like myself makes me like them even more. My travels to Canada only include Montreal, which was another story in itself (needed to go to the Montreal Forum before they closed it for NHL Hockey, went twice Dec 1995 and March 1996). I hope to get to Toronto one day (need to see the NHL Hall of Fame), and of course Western Canada, I was a huge Gretzky fan, so some day I'd love to witness the great rivalry of Edmonton vs Calgary in Edmonton.

I;m also jealous that Canadians get to watch Junior Hockey on TV all the time, that's one of my passions as well.

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
Sweet ! Sometimes I've very jealous of my Canadian hockey brothers and sisters. My intense love of hockey also includes the country just north of me. I love Canada, just a wonderful country with incredibly friendly hard working people. And the fact they are hockey crazy like myself makes me like them even more. My travels to Canada only include Montreal, which was another story in itself (needed to go to the Montreal Forum before they closed it for NHL Hockey, went twice Dec 1995 and March 1996). I hope to get to Toronto one day (need to see the NHL Hall of Fame), and of course Western Canada, I was a huge Gretzky fan, so some day I'd love to witness the great rivalry of Edmonton vs Calgary in Edmonton.

I;m also jealous that Canadians get to watch Junior Hockey on TV all the time, that's one of my passions as well.

As an American Toronto is like an American city but the hhof is awesome! Quebec City and Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria area is some of the best outdoors i have ever seen in my life!

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Outstanding. Keep up the good work.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Keep on skating and playing, as posted I always like to get on the ice often as I can. Haven't played anything real competitive for awhile, play to have some fun.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
As an American Toronto is like an American city but the hhof is awesome! Quebec City and Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria area is some of the best outdoors i have ever seen in my life!

Yes, the west coast of B.C. offers a lot. Many people don't realize how big Vancouver Island is. Victoria is on the Island, but Vancouver is not. For those like you who enjoy the outdoors, Long Beach is worth a visit, and kayaking in the Broken Islands of nearby Barklay Sound.

Elsewhere in western Canada, most people know about Banff and Jasper and also, for the adventurous, the Yukon on the way to Alaska.

A real outdoor experience is Bowron Lake Park near Prince George. It is a canoe circuit over sixty miles in length. Close by is the authentic Gold Rush town of Barkerville.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Scott as posted, mom from from Quebec City (I was born there, mom went home to visit and guess who showed up a little early, as always screwed up the plan) Spent a lot of time there, also have relatives around Ottawa. Last time I was in Ottawa about 5 years ago, spent hours skating on the Rideau Canal. It's not just a game, hockey is a lifestyle and lucky to have a little first hand exposure to it.

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York

If you ever get a chance, and want to experience an authentic Canadian winter experience, go to Winnipeg in the dead of winter, see a Jets game, and skate the Red and Assiniboine Rivers. Did it last year, and it's amazing.

You can also go to Ottawa and skate the Rideau Canal, but it's way more upscale and fancy than the Winnipeg skate. (And you can rent skates in either place, so no worries if you don't want to schlep a pair of skates with you).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad