Hockey Cards - Part III

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Where do you think it'll settle?

That's an insane price! Tins from London Drugs etc are going for 100$ plus.
I'd say it drops a little more, maybe at like 5 and hovers around there of 450-550. Then once he starts getting better it will go up.

There's always a possibility the people hoarding tins and boxes for reselling at an inflated cost prevents people from buying those and just buy the card directly.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
It's O-Pee-Chee.

He's already paid $3 million and has $0.75 million left to pay. He could get sued if he doesn't resolve this quick. I think he also implied the four Red Bulls he drank were a factor in his poor decision-making. I feel kind of bad for him, but on the other hand, it's kind of funny.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1713357436548.png

My brother pulled this Cozens on ePack yesterday. Personally I'm not touching Ultimate- but sometimes you get lucky.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1713448505941.png

2 shields in 2 days for him lmao- he traded a bunch of Ultimate cards for this one though. ePack Quest point hunters can get desperate

Reactions: mdj12784

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Did you know.....

There's more McDavid/Bedard YG psa 10s then the entire Topps 1988 set?

I truly hope none of you bought any of the Bedard YGs I sold raw at over a grand and in many cases for 2k right when they dropped.

As for Young Gun print runs, anybody who doesn't think there's more McDavid YGs then Lemieux rookies I'll trade you even up one for one.

Remember the "junk wax" era? There's more PSA 10 McDavids then Teemu Selanne 1991 PSA 10s almost 2 to 1. What's a McDavid go for? 2k? What does a Selanne go for? 50 bucks?

As for the Gretzky case.....

Picture a world where a noted scam company who authenticated a 1999 case of Pokémon filled with GI Joe cards and have a reputation for "building" cases with loose boxes laying around their warehouse is chosen to authenticate what could be a holy grail of sports cards....

Yeah, I'd want my money back, too.

And one last thing before I go back to enjoying my vacation-

Show me quantifiable evidence O-pee-chee cards are more limited then Topps.

Answer- you can't because it isn't true.

Topps hockey was printed to order. OPC was not only available in Canada, but was also avaliable in many hockey markets in the states. That myth was created by Beckett and so many people ran with it that it became a false narrative of epic proportions.

until next time, keep buying ultra modern¡!

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Did you know.....

There's more McDavid/Bedard YG psa 10s then the entire Topps 1988 set?

I truly hope none of you bought any of the Bedard YGs I sold raw at over a grand and in many cases for 2k right when they dropped.

As for Young Gun print runs, anybody who doesn't think there's more McDavid YGs then Lemieux rookies I'll trade you even up one for one.

Remember the "junk wax" era? There's more PSA 10 McDavids then Teemu Selanne 1991 PSA 10s almost 2 to 1. What's a McDavid go for? 2k? What does a Selanne go for? 50 bucks?

As for the Gretzky case.....

Picture a world where a noted scam company who authenticated a 1999 case of Pokémon filled with GI Joe cards and have a reputation for "building" cases with loose boxes laying around their warehouse is chosen to authenticate what could be a holy grail of sports cards....

Yeah, I'd want my money back, too.

And one last thing before I go back to enjoying my vacation-

Show me quantifiable evidence O-pee-chee cards are more limited then Topps.

Answer- you can't because it isn't true.

Topps hockey was printed to order. OPC was not only available in Canada, but was also avaliable in many hockey markets in the states. That myth was created by Beckett and so many people ran with it that it became a false narrative of epic proportions.

until next time, keep buying ultra modern¡!
I like you

Reactions: Toothless Legend

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I like you
I like you too, but instead of yours truly acting like a pompous know it all its time somebody tells you guys the truth about this hobby.

We are, right now, in the greatest junk wax era this hobby has ever seen and will see. Unlike the social media influencers telling you to buy Bedard YGs, and if nobody noticed, Bedard YGs were being put up on Fleabay at such an alarming rate they throttled listings, if you aren't buying 80s and 90s high/mid grade keys right now at fractions of the cost of Bedard YGs, you are a fool.

There are more Bedard and McDavid YGs at online marketplaces then Brett Hull rookies. You know, one of the greatest goal scorers in history.

I traded a Glossy gold Bedard insert from series 2 (not a glossy YG, the opc insert crap) for a psa 8 Kurri opc rookie. I will trade ultra modern every day all day and will trade current crap for 90s just because everyone is brain washed into thinking current crap is rare.

Remember Pro Set hockey? Jeremy Roenicks rookie has a pop of less then 50 in psa 10 grade, and there were millions of them printed. I Picked one up for 20 bucks.

And people are paying 2k for a 10 McDavid? El oh el.

You guys flexing your YGs are already too late to the party on this one.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I agree with your tone and sentiment, but one thing to consider is that up until recently, there has been very little incentive to send in "junk wax" to PSA. With the cost of grading, and what the ceiling used to be for those cards, there wasn't much point.

Grading also wasn't the fad that it is now with collectors when those early 90s junk wax cards came out. It's more accessible than it has ever been to grade cards, and it's pushed to n00bs and casuals by influencers. By the time grading became prominent, those early rookies were close to the bottom of their value.

The point being that graded population of a card like Bedard cannot be directly compared to a 90s rookie as a means of determining the actual population of the card, because people simply weren't sending cards in when those came out.

That isn't me disagreeing about the possibility of Bedard and McDavid being overprinted.

I also think that people need to be careful about players or cards that are propped up by speculation from non-hockey collectors. They aren't going to stick with hockey if/when these Bedard cards don't appreciate the way they hope, and there aren't enough pure hockey collectors to sustain the value. It's a mix of people getting into it from other sports, and there being a fad based around speculating on trading cards in general.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I like you too, but instead of yours truly acting like a pompous know it all its time somebody tells you guys the truth about this hobby.

We are, right now, in the greatest junk wax era this hobby has ever seen and will see. Unlike the social media influencers telling you to buy Bedard YGs, and if nobody noticed, Bedard YGs were being put up on Fleabay at such an alarming rate they throttled listings, if you aren't buying 80s and 90s high/mid grade keys right now at fractions of the cost of Bedard YGs, you are a fool.

There are more Bedard and McDavid YGs at online marketplaces then Brett Hull rookies. You know, one of the greatest goal scorers in history.

I traded a Glossy gold Bedard insert from series 2 (not a glossy YG, the opc insert crap) for a psa 8 Kurri opc rookie. I will trade ultra modern every day all day and will trade current crap for 90s just because everyone is brain washed into thinking current crap is rare.

Remember Pro Set hockey? Jeremy Roenicks rookie has a pop of less then 50 in psa 10 grade, and there were millions of them printed. I Picked one up for 20 bucks.

And people are paying 2k for a 10 McDavid? El oh el.

You guys flexing your YGs are already too late to the party on this one.
I like people who present facts in the face of popular, but incorrect, opinion.

It's one thing to collect YGs, it's quite another to pay hundreds to tens of thousands on a Lafreniere RC during his rookie year when you can buy Orr and Gretzky RC, or even a PSA 10 Jagr OPCP or Messier OPC RC.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I agree with your tone and sentiment, but one thing to consider is that up until recently, there has been very little incentive to send in "junk wax" to PSA. With the cost of grading, and what the ceiling used to be for those cards, there wasn't much point.
I agree BUT....

We have a climate now where "junk wax" has taken a back seat to ultra modern in terms of population and the reality that the "junk wax" era really isn't "junk wax" any more compared to ultra modern.

When influencers are speculating out their ass with young guns, the Bedard and McDavid in particular, I'm going to look at numbers on the population report and say "what bruh" when they bring up the supposed junk wax era when chances are they wernt even around in the 90s during it and can't recall Alexandre Daigle rookies selling easily for 30 bucks when nobody in the United States had a clue who he was. It's the exact same thing going on now with one more zero added.

Mind you, my comments are aimed at social media influencers and not the collectors here. I don't think these idiots on youtube (cough Geoff Wilson cough) have a clue what they are talking about yet many sheep will listen and obey like trained animals to everything they say.

In 1991 grading blew up considerably. Does anybody but me remember the 1991 bowman chipper Jones go from being a 50 cent card to 20 dollars overnight in raw condition on account of grading?

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Man, things have sure changed since I was buying Pro Set packs in high school, and thought the newly released Upper Deck glossy cards were the cat's meow...

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I like people who present facts in the face of popular, but incorrect, opinion.

It's one thing to collect YGs, it's quite another to pay hundreds to tens of thousands on a Lafreniere RC during his rookie year when you can buy Orr and Gretzky RC, or even a PSA 10 Jagr OPCP or Messier OPC RC.
Those Laff chasers were suckers.

Didn't somebody bounty Laff YGs?

Man, things have sure changed since I was buying Pro Set packs in high school, and thought the newly released Upper Deck glossy cards were the cat's meow...
Sadly, not too much has changed since the Pro Set days other then inflation and the actors....

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I miss the days when I thought BAP (98-99) was the coolest set around because it was shiny and had an auto in every pack.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Grading also wasn't the fad that it is now with collectors when those early 90s junk wax cards came out. It's more accessible than it has ever been to grade cards, and it's pushed to n00bs and casuals by influencers. By the time grading became prominent, those early rookies were close to the bottom of their value.

The point being that graded population of a card like Bedard cannot be directly compared to a 90s rookie as a means of determining the actual population of the card, because people simply weren't sending cards in when those came out.

That isn't me disagreeing about the possibility of Bedard and McDavid being overprinted.

I also think that people need to be careful about players or cards that are propped up by speculation from non-hockey collectors. They aren't going to stick with hockey if/when these Bedard cards don't appreciate the way they hope, and there aren't enough pure hockey collectors to sustain the value. It's a mix of people getting into it from other sports, and there being a fad based around speculating on trading cards in general.

I have collected on and off for the greater part of my life. When I started collecting again a few years ago, it was incredible to me the stuff people were sending to get graded. Like, you're grading numbered cards of a veteran? Or an insert? What? Why? I remember it used to be Young Guns, Future Watch Auto's and maybe a high end card from your personal collection that you wanted slabbed, and that was it. Now people are grading like Tom Brady spectrum holo purple foil cards out of 99 because it adds $5 to their ebay list price? Crazy.. Everyone has also always known that UD pumps out Young Guns, they've been overprinted for a long time and it's only gotten worse with McDavid, Matthews, the pandemic, and now Bedard. It's why they've added all the "retro future watch" auto's to SP Authentic. They know they can't change the physical print run of the base autos so they add a bunch of filler to increase the print run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad