Hockey Cards - Part III

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
1000009045.jpg

1000009044.jpg

Both cases of tins arrived! Plus they all had 4 YGs each. Got them for $60/case CAD. Best value by far for hunting YGs.

This was case 1. Lots of Bedard content! Will post case 2 later.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Get that Yzerman out of that screw down please. Those things scare me.
question. Some of my dad's cards are in the screw cases. The guy who did the appraisal said I should get those out of there ASAP. Is there any risk to damaging the card when removing it from the screw sleeve? I'm nervous to do it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Wow. Cool story as well and you are probably right about the year for my set. As a kid I was an avid collector of the O-Pee-Chee sticker albums and just realized I had all of these completed. Some are in rough shape though:

View attachment 834732
I have all of these too (I think maybe 10 or so years worth), stickers all inside and completed. Much less rough condition. Good memories!

• Love
Reactions: BallardEra

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
question. Some of my dad's cards are in the screw cases. The guy who did the appraisal said I should get those out of there ASAP. Is there any risk to damaging the card when removing it from the screw sleeve? I'm nervous to do it.
The compression of the screw downs risks damaging the cards. It’s not hard to do. Do you have soft sleeves and semi rigid holders or top loaders already? If not, buy them then go from there. The screw downs were popular in the 80s and 90s but people went away from them for obvious reasons.

Reactions: mdj12784

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
The compression of the screw downs risks damaging the cards. It’s not hard to do. Do you have soft sleeves and semi rigid holders or top loaders already? If not, buy them then go from there. The screw downs were popular in the 80s and 90s but people went away from them for obvious reasons.
yea I bought a couple packs of Card Savers per the recommendation of the guy who did the appraisal.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
lmao be real though the only one in here buying 400k cards is @Cubs2024WSChamps :sarcasm:
Of course he is. Then he can turn around and flip it for a few bucks more. Do that a couple hundred thousand times and he will be sitting on a gold mine. Simple math man, I cant believe all these idiots out there who cant see what easy money looks like /s

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
View attachment 834963

View attachment 834964

Both cases of tins arrived! Plus they all had 4 YGs each. Got them for $60/case CAD. Best value by far for hunting YGs.

This was case 1. Lots of Bedard content! Will post case 2 later.

Great haul! I ordered 5 tins in hopes of getting the Bedard YG. Tin 1 I got the Benson YG and on tin 2 I was able to get the Bedard YG. :DD

I mainly collect rookies so I will probably just sell the remaining 3 tins and buy the Mintukov and Carlsson rookies off Ebay.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I just wanted to show off my modest vintage card collection I’ve been building up over the last 5 years or so. I love the history and look of the 50’s Parkhurst cards and with the prices of a lot of the new stuff figured I would go different route.

Attachments

• IMG_7534.jpeg
    IMG_7534.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7535.jpeg
    IMG_7535.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7539.jpeg
    IMG_7539.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7538.jpeg
    IMG_7538.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 8

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I just wanted to show off my modest vintage card collection I’ve been building up over the last 5 years or so. I love the history and look of the 50’s Parkhurst cards and with the prices of a lot of the new stuff figured I would go different route.

Love those too. Wish NHL would release a retro set that actually looked like that instead of just throwbacks to 90's cards. I would pay a nice penny for those kinds of art cards.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Walmart Canada dropped UDS2 retail skus this morning, there are still blasters available. I tried to get 12 tins but I ended up grabbing the last 5.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Great haul! I ordered 5 tins in hopes of getting the Bedard YG. Tin 1 I got the Benson YG and on tin 2 I was able to get the Bedard YG. :DD

I mainly collect rookies so I will probably just sell the remaining 3 tins and buy the Mintukov and Carlsson rookies off Ebay.

Lol. I didn't hit the first Bedard YG until the very last tin of the case, so couldn't sell even if I wanted to. I was definitely thinking about selling all the tins and not opening any though. I could have sold the tins for $40-50 profit each and bought several Bedard YGs.

Breaking is fun though. Basically just gambling. I did pretty well, so I'm happy. That Bedard POE was a huge bonus. I'll probably sell off the other Bedard inserts and recoup $600 or so.

Plus the Bedard YG seems to be going back up in value since that monster night.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Walmart Canada dropped UDS2 retail skus this morning, there are still blasters available. I tried to get 12 tins but I ended up grabbing the last 5.

The prices are pretty brutal on Walmart.ca. $64.92 plus tax for a blaster? If you have a US postal box, you can get them for $54 CAD from walmart.com. That's still not a great price.

The Upper Deck store hasn't loaded yet, but they'll be charging $40 CAD. If you're willing to pay that $60+ for them, they are pretty readily available from most hobby shops.

The gouging has definitely begun. When I ordered my tins, I paid $77.65 including taxes and shipping. Now stores are charging $175 plus taxes for a tin.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The prices are pretty brutal on Walmart.ca. $64.92 plus tax for a blaster? If you have a US postal box, you can get them for $54 CAD from walmart.com. That's still not a great price.

The Upper Deck store hasn't loaded yet, but they'll be charging $40 CAD. If you're willing to pay that $60+ for them, they are pretty readily available from most hobby shops.

The gouging has definitely begun. When I ordered my tins, I paid $77.65 including taxes and shipping. Now stores are charging $175 plus taxes for a tin.
That's the price for a mega but yeah the prices stink. Long gone are the days of $20-30 blasters. Tins were $90 earlier and now it looks like a 3rd party seller has them on WM.ca for $200 lmao.

(I bought to flip, I'm part of the problem)

• Wow
Reactions: Kcb12345

Ajex12x

Mar 18, 2023
Of course he is. Then he can turn around and flip it for a few bucks more. Do that a couple hundred thousand times and he will be sitting on a gold mine. Simple math man, I cant believe all these idiots out there who cant see what easy money looks like /s

Don't say his name 2 more more times lol

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That's the price for a mega but yeah the prices stink. Long gone are the days of $20-30 blasters. Tins were $90 earlier and now it looks like a 3rd party seller has them on WM.ca for $200 lmao.

(I bought to flip, I'm part of the problem)

Fair enough. I didn't notice that was for Mega Blasters. You get 3 YGs in each Mega Blaster? Plus the die cut rookie pack? It guess that's not horrible.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I've had a few where the front of the card stuck to the plastic resulting in some paper loss (not to mention value). I think part of the risk depends on how tightly they were screwed down.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Managed to get 8 Walmart blasters at retail. Very strange odds for me. Killed them getting two Bedard ygs! Both have dents at the top though. I'll try to get ud to replace them. Also no Bedard die-cut cards.

Attachments

• PXL_20240323_010439860.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240323_010439860.MP.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Got interesting pulls. Nothing groundbreaking, but I wanted to ask if one of them is normal:

2.JPG

1.JPG

The 1 of 1 is interesting. Is that normally how they are in the O-Pee-Chee sets? I never got one of these, but seems underwhelming to just have a blank back with a few numbers. Either that, or it's an error, in which case it goes into my error collection.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Got interesting pulls. Nothing groundbreaking, but I wanted to ask if one of them is normal:

View attachment 842875

View attachment 842876

The 1 of 1 is interesting. Is that normally how they are in the O-Pee-Chee sets? I never got one of these, but seems underwhelming to just have a blank back with a few numbers. Either that, or it's an error, in which case it goes into my error collection.
That’s a printing plate. From the pic it looks like yellow plate. There are four unique plates per card.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
That’s a printing plate. From the pic it looks like yellow plate. There are four unique plates per card.

The 1 of 1 is on the red border, which makes it really odd to me. The o-pee-chee set also comes with a guaranteed foil numbered, but i got none. Im assuming this was supposed to be it, but it messed up. Its fine though, im a sucker for misprints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad