Hockey Cards - Part III

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lol can I get it in on that generous offer for Kane.
Jeez it's that bad?

Am I the only person who was getting 2007 blasters on clearance in 2011? Or the UD gravity boxes at dollar stores That were YG's every three packs that were multiple years in 2012?

I really only collect The Cup. I'm going to actually see what I have in Young Guns and take advantage of these insane prices

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Jeez it's that bad?

Am I the only person who was getting 2007 blasters on clearance in 2011? Or the UD gravity boxes at dollar stores That were YG's every three packs that were multiple years in 2012?

I really only collect The Cup. I'm going to actually see what I have in Young Guns and take advantage of these insane prices
I bought a few blasters in 2018. I got Milan Lucic in both and one of them was dented up haha.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
No, it's not. If you want to believe that go right ahead. The Walmart warriors and two big distributors have instilled this "it's so limited" belief into common collectors when reality is the stuff is just as common as it was before the pandemic.

Nobody remembers when Prizm basketball would sit on shelves in retail until it was marked down to clearance prices. That was Tatum rookie year. Even last year Prizm basketball was sitting around shelves until the pandemic blew everything up.

All I'm saying is, don't buy into the hype. There's a ton of this stuff out there.

As for Panini not giving 30 year dealers product, there has to be more to it then that. There's no way a company isn't giving product to a buyer when production is based on pre-orders. It doesn't add up.

I get three cases of every Panini product shipped to my door a week before it hits hobby shops and I have yet paid these ridiculous prices on Fleabay. Something isn't right if a 30 year dealers can't get a hobby box.....

It was not Covid. It was Zion/Luka hype that started to empty shelves for prizm.
No one said it was limited but good luck finding Prizm blasters for cheap anywhere.

The reason prizm blasters would sit on the shelves was because hobby prizm was still cheap. Why buy retail when you can buy hobby?
Once Hobby prizm went up then everyone went to retail. Nothing to do with covid.

Hobby hockey is still relatively cheap so retail is not in demand as much.
If Series 1/2 hobby boxes become $1000 then retail will go with it just like Crosby/Kane/Mcdavid years.

Cases of what? Its unlikely you can get cases of hobby prizm at msrp or anything in demand.
Distributors control everything. They are not sending some joe blow cases of anything unless its shit product.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
(Spits out coffee)

Wat? Kane's sell for 400?

Where? I have over a hundred Kane YG's and will be more then happy to sell each and every one for 400 bucks

You're better off grading them and selling them for $1000 +

They'll be $2000 in the future anyway.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
It was not Covid. It was Zion/Luka hype that started to empty shelves for prizm.
No one said it was limited but good luck finding Prizm blasters for cheap anywhere.

The reason prizm blasters would sit on the shelves was because hobby prizm was still cheap. Why buy retail when you can buy hobby?
Once Hobby prizm went up then everyone went to retail. Nothing to do with covid.

Hobby hockey is still relatively cheap so retail is not in demand as much.
If Series 1/2 hobby boxes become $1000 then retail will go with it just like Crosby/Kane/Mcdavid years.

Cases of what? Its unlikely you can get cases of hobby prizm at msrp or anything in demand.
Distributors control everything. They are not sending some joe blow cases of anything unless its shit product.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but when Panini bought out Donruss in 2009, my account when along with it. Which means I can buy as much product from them or as little as I want. No offense, I've been in this hobby longer then the two main distributors and have one of the best reputations within my area as a big time buyer and seller.

See, when people were chasing Mattingly and Canseco, I was, as a teenager mind you, buying up every high grade card from the 50's and getting them graded by PSA when they first opened up shop. I bought cases of Fleers first basketball set thru the magazine shop down the street from my parents house with my mom's credit card.

Remember Tuff Stuff magazine? I'm sure you don't, but I had an ad in it every month until it stopped publication offering top dollar for vintage cards every sport.

Not that I don't like hearing others thoughts on why this hobby blew up, I do, but I've heard it all before. The speculators and gamblers will be gone once the world goes back to normal and the cardboard will once again go back to being cardboard outside of unique limited numbered cards.

I do feel sorry for anybody trying to get into this hobby right now that's at the mercy of the big two distributors. I don't pay those prices and I wouldn't. If anybody has to, that's rough.

My advice- buy direct. Get in good with the card companies. Hell, I'm on such good terms with UD I get free stuff all the time. Last time we checked I have like 40 epacks just sitting there for series two.

Sorry, this hobby is kind of my thing.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You're better off grading them and selling them for $1000 +

They'll be $2000 in the future anyway.
Lol wat?

No they won't. Kane YG's will hover around a grand once the pandemic is over in high grade outside of a 200 point season.

Are you new to speculating?

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Well, I hate to break it to you, but when Panini bought out Donruss in 2009, my account when along with it. Which means I can buy as much product from them or as little as I want. No offense, I've been in this hobby longer then the two main distributors and have one of the best reputations within my area as a big time buyer and seller.

See, when people were chasing Mattingly and Canseco, I was, as a teenager mind you, buying up every high grade card from the 50's and getting them graded by PSA when they first opened up shop. I bought cases of Fleers first basketball set thru the magazine shop down the street from my parents house with my mom's credit card.

Remember Tuff Stuff magazine? I'm sure you don't, but I had an ad in it every month until it stopped publication offering top dollar for vintage cards every sport.

Not that I don't like hearing others thoughts on why this hobby blew up, I do, but I've heard it all before. The speculators and gamblers will be gone once the world goes back to normal and the cardboard will once again go back to being cardboard outside of unique limited numbered cards.

I do feel sorry for anybody trying to get into this hobby right now that's at the mercy of the big two distributors. I don't pay those prices and I wouldn't. If anybody has to, that's rough.

My advice- buy direct. Get in good with the card companies. Hell, I'm on such good terms with UD I get free stuff all the time. Last time we checked I have like 40 epacks just sitting there for series two.

That's great but 99.99% of people won't have access to that.

Speculators have been around forever way before covid paying big bucks for lot of cards.
Exquisite basketball was hoarded up forever and sold high.
Same with any Bulls Jordan autos.
Any high end basketball did not need Covid.

All the prospects in baseball sold for thousands every year.

Covid just added fuel to the fire on junk graded base cards and lot of 90s graded junk.

So Jordan/Gretzky rookies are not becoming cheap.
Kobe autos are not going to be cheap again.
Exquisite will never be cheap.
I could go on forever.

Lot of cards will go down as they should but that's with covid or without.

Cheap interest, unlimited money, housing, bitcoin, etc is what's fueling more of the boom than covid.
Nasty houses around me cost 700k and I live in a crap city.
They were 300k three years ago.
They won't be going down after covid is gone.
That's free money for people to speculate on.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Remember Tuff Stuff magazine?

I sure do - some of their issues contained cool promo cards. :thumbu:

img650_714cb206-415b-4e38-9649-015c62fca247_695x979.jpg
img651_c5c46219-2d19-4079-8be1-a4e4a5960b2a_696x490.jpg

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
My advice- buy direct. Get in good with the card companies. Hell, I'm on such good terms with UD I get free stuff all the time.
Easier said than done. I know a guy that has been trying to buy from Upper Deck for years. He runs an actual business but Upper Deck denies him because they don't agree with the hours his business is open (Fri-Sun). No joke. He cannot buy direct because his shop is not opened 5-6 days per week.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Last PSA 10 Kane sold for $2500 cad ($2000 usd)
Don't have to speculate it...it is now.
Your gonna have to link that, cuz by this;

http://www.watchcount.com/completed...w+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

No Kane has sold for 2k as of late and raw is selling around 300.

If I was going investing a grand in a card, it most certainly wouldn't be a Young Gun outside of Sid or Ovie, and even then I would look at their ultra premium stuff before I chirped my card.

Anybody buying Young Guns as an investment, just letting you know you are getting what you pay for in the long run.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I sure do - some of their issues contained cool promo cards. :thumbu:

img650_714cb206-415b-4e38-9649-015c62fca247_695x979.jpg
img651_c5c46219-2d19-4079-8be1-a4e4a5960b2a_696x490.jpg
Most of the "writers" are a group of crotchety old men still joined at the hip on a message board I will not name bitching and moaning about the hobby to this very day.

I loved their hockey coverage and calling Ray Dourque (Dork) one of the best forwards in hockey.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Easier said than done. I know a guy that has been trying to buy from Upper Deck for years. He runs an actual business but Upper Deck denies him because they don't agree with the hours his business is open (Fri-Sun). No joke. He cannot buy direct because his shop is not opened 5-6 days per week.
Tell them he does card shows on the weekends.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=Patrick+kane+young+guns+2007&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

If I was going investing a grand in a card, it most certainly wouldn't be a Young Gun outside of Sid or Ovie, and even then I would look at their ultra premium stuff before I chirped my card.

Anybody buying Young Guns as an investment, just letting you know you are getting what you pay for in the long run.
It’s further down your list. 2K us for PSA10

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=Patrick+kane+young+guns+2007&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

Upper Deck Young Guns PSA 10 Lot - Kane Toews Price Matthews Larkin Yzerman | eBay

2007 Upper Deck Patrick Kane Young Guns Psa 9 Future HOF | eBay

No one cares about raw cards anymore.
Thick premium cards have lost their popularity because of grading.

Victor Hedman YG's psa 10 sells for $700 cad which is really a $5 card.
You can't even get $100 for his Ultimate Collection /99
His Cup Rc only sells for $250 and as low as $80

What's a better investment ...buying a $5 yg...grading for $20 selling for $700
or buying a Cup rc for $150 and selling it for $250.

Yeah I don't buy psa 10 ygs but I'll sell them all day.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Upper Deck is not giving out Diamond Dealer licenses to anyone anymore regardless if they start a real LCS.
In Canada you can't buy directly from the manufacturer anyway only from GTS and Groesner.

OvieGreat8

Apr 17, 2021
Hockey prices were a joke for a long time.

Ovechkin was free but they paid $2000 for Aaron Ekblad Cup rc....lol

peteyforharrt

Dec 14, 2020

you’re such a dork lol

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
And just like that, the market died.

Canadians, please, don't buy hockey in Canada. You will get hockey cards for nothing in the states. Blasters of series two are sitting on shelves everywhere and nobody is buying them.

The only money in current product is basketball and even that has dropped considerably lately.

If you sold for huge gains, good for you. The only current hockey will be high end stuff. The Young Guns phase is over.

Not in my area of the States. Flippers are so bad here that I haven't seen hockey since last Summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad