Hockey Canada funding frozen by federal govt

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15

I saw this morning that top tier sponsors Tim Hortons, Telus, Chevrolet Canada and Bank of Nova Scotia have pulled out. As well Canadian Tire, The Keg, Esso and many others. Canadian Tire issued a statement

"Hockey Canada continues to resist meaningful change and we can no longer confidently move forward together," Canadian Tire senior vice-president of communications Jane Shaw said in a statement on Thursday.

I guess the question is how long can Hockey Canada remain tone deaf to public opinion and maintain status quo?
I hadn't heard about Esso. They and Nike appear to be the 2 biggest sponsors left

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Skinner the sister of Jeff Skinner probably got out before her name was dragged through the mud with the rest of the executives in Hockey Canada. I think there is a need to shut the whole program down for a year or two until they clean house. They need to look at the issues of elite hockey in Canada all the way through the system. There are no "blue-collar" kids making elite teams in Canada unless their parents are going broke. Even the next Gretzky could be playing on a back yard rink somewhere. No person would ever see him outside of house league hockey anymore. A few years back a father of a former Kitchener Ranger told me at practice this type of hockey is not a blue-collar sport anymore. Time for changes to be made.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Skinner the sister of Jeff Skinner probably got out before her name was dragged through the mud with the rest of the executives in Hockey Canada. I think there is a need to shut the whole program down for a year or two until they clean house. They need to look at the issues of elite hockey in Canada all the way through the system. There are no "blue-collar" kids making elite teams in Canada unless their parents are going broke. Even the next Gretzky could be playing on a back yard rink somewhere. No person would ever see him outside of house league hockey anymore. A few years back a father of a former Kitchener Ranger told me at practice this type of hockey is not a blue-collar sport anymore. Time for changes to be made.
I had a friend at work whose son made it to junior 30 years ago. He told me how much it cost to put his son through AAA. I was flabbergasted. I can't even imagine how much it is now.

Reactions: Tarantula

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Seems like they are going down the path of until they run out of money.
Screenshot_20221011-124313_Google News.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad