News Article: Ho-Sang Forced to Retire from Hockey

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Who was wearing 66 on his team that he wore 88? Or was he honoring Lindros?

Total number of players that have worn 66 since this fool’s desire to wear 66?

Reactions: mm11

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
A reach by Snow trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Had the YouTube skills but had hamburger between his ears. Also heart was three sizes too small. A lesser Schemp.

Reactions: periferal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just like Alain Vignault announcing his retirement yesterday. When nobody wants you anymore, you are retired.

Pay attention Josh Bailey.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
His whole career is a tragedy. so much talent.

I like how they say "Former Leaf" and no mention of the Island...haha

I wanna see the video of him Getting Clobbered while he was doing his Tap Dancing.
Hopefully he realizes what an Ass he has been and how he has squandered his talent...

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
A reach by Snow trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Had the YouTube skills but had hamburger between his ears. Also heart was three sizes too small. A lesser Schemp.

Looking back I am still fine with the pick. Give me a JHS home run swing over a safe pick like Holmstrom seems to be. Round one should always be for drafting elite level talent.

JHS was that. Unfortunately he was an absolute idiot.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A shame, hopefully it's not an injury that will plague him the rest of his life and will only prevent him from playing professional hockey.

He was a lot of fun when he came up at the end of the Doug Weight year (I think?). He played with a lot of fire and was very talented. Unfortunately he couldn't get out of his own way and seemed to burn his bridges with management. He was definitely unique and seemed to be upbeat for the most part, so as a person I'm sure he's fine, that just doesn't always work with a sports team. Best of luck to him, I hope he can have success doing something hockey related or not.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
The article was very poorly written IMO. Ho Sang played 4 games in the KHL playoffs last year after missing all but one game in the regular season due to the injury, so he might have retired in order to pursue other interests. Also, he was never technically Maple Leafs property as he signed an AHL contract I believe not a two way contract. But a sad waste of talent!!

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
A shame, hopefully it's not an injury that will plague him the rest of his life and will only prevent him from playing professional hockey.

He was a lot of fun when he came up at the end of the Doug Weight year (I think?). He played with a lot of fire and was very talented. Unfortunately he couldn't get out of his own way and seemed to burn his bridges with management. He was definitely unique and seemed to be upbeat for the most part, so as a person I'm sure he's fine, that just doesn't always work with a sports team. Best of luck to him, I hope he can have success doing something hockey related or not.
Nicely put. He's a young man and I hope he finds success in whatever he chooses to do.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Obviously I am wrong, but I didn’t think Ho-Sang looked out of place when he got his extended looks with the Islanders.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I’ll never forget his one timer slapshot on the PP up in the Saddledome (I think) and the breakaway goal against the Sabres.

Thought we had found a game breaker.

Sucks

scott99

May 13, 2005
That 2014 draft was a shame. I REALLY wanted Michael Dal Colle at #5. He was the consensus #5, but believe it or not, some draft prognosticators had him higher. So I don’t blame Snow for grabbing MDC. My other two players I focused on if the Isles passed on MDC, were Nylander and Ehlers. Obviously they worked out, and MDC was a classic bust. Unfortunately he just didn’t have the drive and determination to succeed. He certainly had the talent.

When you get to JHS, I wanted and thought Snow traded up to take Kempe, and that’s who I wanted. When it comes to JHS, he may have had excellent talent (I question if he had a good shot though), but he had $2 worth of hockey sense. I think he let his past success make him think he can become a star by just showing up (sometimes late). I wanted him to succeed so badly, but he dropped in the draft for obvious reasons. He thought things should just be given to him instead of earned.

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Looking back I am still fine with the pick. Give me a JHS home run swing over a safe pick like Holmstrom seems to be. Round one should always be for drafting elite level talent.

JHS was that. Unfortunately he was an absolute idiot.
The character thing always. I am ok with the pick as the second shot in the first round but he punted the first one too. Thankfully he did "ok" with two after that.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
His life would be so different if he only set that darn alarm clock

D32F06FF-35C2-429A-9F6F-C229BBCBCED3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JKP

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I appreciate this post. What you seem to imply, which is something I agree with, isn't that Ho-Sang's character is defective, but that his makeup did not work for him in becoming a pro hockey player. I feel pretty certain that the number of people who criticize his makeup is far greater than the number of people who would have the makeup to be succeed as a pro athlete even if they had the physical talent.

As a player, I think the issue with Ho-Sang is that he never added strength, and also never adapted to having a strength disadvantage in the NHL. (Despite the criticism he got for being "soft", I think Eberle's very cerebral style of play is what a player like that should emulate.)

Reactions: Olliemets

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
couldn't imagine being born with so much god-given talent just to squander it because you aren't taking your career seriously enough - and leaving generations and generations of family wealth on the table because you didnt have any self discipline. i couldnt imagine having to live with that

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
couldn't imagine being born with so much god-given talent just to squander it because you aren't taking your career seriously enough - and leaving generations and generations of family wealth on the table because you didnt have any self discipline. i couldnt imagine having to live with that

A key component to the Ho-Sang story is that he doesn't need the money.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
A long enough period of time has passed where I can relay this story without getting yelled at, hopefully some of the long-standing members can appreciate what I did in the past here enough to give what I say some weight…..

The second time JHS was given the boot was due to players being upset with him being on FaceTime with a girl in the Family room when he wasn’t dressed for the game - during a game. Some of the Wives and Girlfriends actually scolded him.

It didn’t sit well with some of the players who matter, to say the least.

It’s on a long list of dumb decisions made by someone who’s immaturity was clearly a large part of his issues.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That 2014 draft was a shame. I REALLY wanted Michael Dal Colle at #5. He was the consensus #5, but believe it or not, some draft prognosticators had him higher. So I don’t blame Snow for grabbing MDC. My other two players I focused on if the Isles passed on MDC, were Nylander and Ehlers. Obviously they worked out, and MDC was a classic bust. Unfortunately he just didn’t have the drive and determination to succeed. He certainly had the talent.

When you get to JHS, I wanted and thought Snow traded up to take Kempe, and that’s who I wanted. When it comes to JHS, he may have had excellent talent (I question if he had a good shot though), but he had $2 worth of hockey sense. I think he let his past success make him think he can become a star by just showing up (sometimes late). I wanted him to succeed so badly, but he dropped in the draft for obvious reasons. He thought things should just be given to him instead of earned.
I forget now - did we win our last game of the season in 2013 that caused us to drop from #3 to #5 in the draft? Either way, the chalk picks were Draisatl and Bennett which would have been fundamentally different than MDC - obviously Draisatl on a different plane.

Amazing that we struck out so spectacularly with MDC/JHS and still hit on Sorokin and Toews later on. If those first 2 picks panned out, we could have had a franchise altering haul.

Reactions: scott99

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022

Agreed. Wishing him the best. I also miss when the organization took swings like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad