Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: frisco

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
While Ballard was certainly anti-union, resented Eagleson & didnt much care for Sittlers activities with the NHLPA, it was to Punch Imlach who he left the dirty work in pulling him out of mothballs.... Imlach even more virulently anti-union than Harold himself. It was Punch who denied both Sittlers & Mike Palmateer's participation in Showdown, the first real shots fired in what would turn into a very messy internecine war, pretty much the full deconstruction of the club, total meltdown.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
This feature was very popular in Canada and also was syndicated to stations in the US but Harold Ballard for whatever reason moved heaven and earth to kill the show. Anybody know the full story? I believe Ballard's beef was the union being involved.

NHL Showdown: Daryl Sittler vs. Rick MacLeish

NHL Showdown: Rick MacLeish vs. Gilbert Perrault

and was this the genesis of 3 on 3?

NHL Showdown: 3-on-3: Game 2
Thanks for this. I remember being genuinely choked that Perreault hitting the post cost him the win. When you're nine these type of things are important!

My Best-Carey

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Thank you! I remember this. I suddenly feel real old.

Spoiler alert!

1st event:
Sittler ain't no Bourque (Raymond went 4 for 4 several times in all-star games).
2nd event:
Rick lollygagged it on the 2nd event to help Darryl get back in it. Even the announcer pointed out the surprising lack of footspeed by the fast forward.
3rd event:
Dang! Chico predicted the shooters so well! Rick's first three shots were exactly where Chico said they would be, but Rick adapted and scored by goin' elsewhere.

I loved the event. Neither MacLeish nor Resch get the respect they deserve around here, passed over in the 500+ pick all-time drafts. I remember them as stars with skills and they show it here.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I just stumbled across these on youtube and decided to post here rather than starting a new thread.

Were these taped during the season? Where were they taped? They're definitely not in an NHL arena, some WHL arena?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad