Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Being phased out in favor of a hab fan who has no ties to our great game.

The hiring of George Strombulopius rubs me wrong because he is a non hockey guy. I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time.

Some say he is smart I don't care if he is Einstein I don't want him as an example for my kids to see each week during our national past time.

Don Cherry is 80 and Ron MacLean is 54. Eventually they would retire.

I can see leaf haters Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson being fired but not Don n ron

Who would be a better hire?

P's I work till 2 am that is why I was up so late.

Last edited:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
They're still doing Coach's Corner and Ron is hosting something on Sunday nights I believe. WTF are you talking about? He looks like a druggie and a punk? You're worried about how they look infront of your kids yet here you are judging and belittling the guy without knowing a thing about him? lol

You're right though, Don Cherry and his, lets say opinions, are a much better example for children to look up to.

Give me a break.

Hope this is a troll post.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's Rogers; sportsnet sucks and they'll screw this up somehow.

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The hiring of George Strombulopius rubs me wrong because he is a non hockey guy. I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time. He looks like a druggie which is anti our clean living hockey culture.

Some say he is smart I don't care if he is Einstein I don't want him as an example for my kids to see each week during our national past time.

I can see leaf haters Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson being fired but not Don n ron

A non-hockey guy who started on broadcasting doing hockey? A druggie? Anti clean living? What are you talking about. Yeah, I guess a better example would be to teach people to judge a guy because he has tattoos and piercing.

You really need to get over the "he's a habs fan". He's a professional. It really doesn't matter if he is fan of any team. Relax.

I haven't seen anything about Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson getting fired?

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time. He looks like a druggie which is anti our clean living hockey culture.

Way to pass down your ignorance to your children.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
General LL Welcome back :D

I didn't like the hiring for strombo either. A habs fan, non hockey guy. We'll see how it goes.

They're still doing Coach's Corner and Ron is hosting something on Sunday nights I believe. WTF are you talking about?

Don't kid yourself, Don and Ron are on the way out. Ron might stay in another capacity but not as you are used to.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I prefer Don and Ron, but Strombo is great. Love his talk show. He's really passionate about the Canadian culture and identity. I'm sure he'll do fine.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Don is great but really really really old. It had to happen some time. Strombo is not nearly the same but hopefully he has the ambition to succeed in the role. If not then he will be replaced. There will never be another Don Cherry, that's just the way that life works. Don will be there until the bitter end I am pretty sure.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
He does kinda look like someone who smells of Tobacco and Smoke but I've never smelled Strombo so who knows.

Also why the hell is this guy born in mississauga yet he's a habs fan???!! WTF STROMBOLOMPOLOLUS

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm just fine with Cherry and MacLean thank you very much.

If MacLean leaves, that will be a National travesty. They should take that day off of school.

And I like Strombo. He's great. But mmm, ya no I"m good.

I just don't like change basically I think. Bring back Cole and Neale as well. Cole calling the last one in Montreal, that was amazing. He's still got it, he's still the best.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
OP, you're worried about how this guy looks and how he will influence your children, yet you consider hockey a cherished past time.. Do you even realize what goes on behind the scenes and in the locker rooms? You think growing up, that these hockey players aren't out getting hammered, trying drugs, having girls throwing themselves at them.. you think that's a good influence? You're worried enough about a guys look that his intelligence and personality are worth nothing in your eyes, yet you'll excuse the close-minded and xenophobic things Cherry has spewed over the years and choose him as an ideal role model?

Your children might be in trouble, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not because of the influence of a man they see every saturday night on TV.

Furthermore.. If you think Strombo has a bad influential look.. You better bar the doors, cancel the cable and internet, and stay huddled in a cupboard with your children forever so they aren't exposed to the horrors of this world..

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
Wow. I hate Strombo (mostly because he's a Habs fan) but the OP is in for a surprise when his kids grow up if he's worried about the example George will set. He's straightedge compared to what's out there.

TheThrill81*

Do you even realize what goes on behind the scenes and in the locker rooms? You think growing up, that these hockey players aren't out getting hammered, trying drugs, having girls throwing themselves at them.. you think that's a good influence?

I think generalizing hockey players as promiscuous, drug-using party animals is sending the wrong message in any case.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto

The hiring of George Strombulopius rubs me wrong because he is a non hockey guy. I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time. He looks like a druggie which is anti our clean living hockey culture.

Strombo started out as a sports reporter covering hockey and basketball. He also loves hockey just as much as anyone on these boards. Bob Cole is a habs fan too, don't see that getting in the way off him doing his job.

Your druggie comments are just flat out ignorant and i'm not sure how they're even allowed on here, but i digress.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Hockey has "clean living culture"? Are you joking?

Oh my god. He has a nose ring and wears t-shirts on TV! HIDE YOUR CHILDREN!

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
C'mon OP........ drugs are great.

On a serious note, they obviously have to phase Cherry out. Do you realize how old he is? I love Don and Ron, and it will never be the same without them... but Strombo is actually a really solid host. I think he's a very good choice.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Strombo is great. I guess the older fans don't like it and think Strombo is a hippie know nothing hockey guy but they'll learn to like him. He knows his stuff.

It's not like he will be analysing and dissecting hockey plays, he's hosting for crying out loud. The anger towards this is reaching comedic level of absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad