U18: Hlinka - Team Germany Roster

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
For now this is the German roster for this years' Hlinka tournament:

Pos.NameFirst NameTeam 2023/24DOB (mm-dd-yyyy)
GKElaginMichailJungadler Mannheim01-08-2006
GKNeißeLennartKitchener Junior Rangers09-14-2006
DFFicenecJacobJungadler Mannheim02-20-2006
DFHändelCarlosMalmö Redhawks03-31-2007
DFHahnNoahIserlohner EC10-04-2006
DFHenseMaxKölner EC03-01-2006
DFKaiserRioEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse10-07-2006
DFMerklMaximilianEHC 80 Nürnberg / Nürnberg Ice Tigers06-27-2006
DFSchamsManuelJungadler Mannheim01-26-2006
DFSerikowFinnEV Landshut11-16-2006
FWNikolasBigginsJungadler Mannheim06-02-2006
FWGrivaGustavsJungadler Mannheim06-08-2007
FWGrivaRihardsJungadler Mannheim06-08-2007
FWHerzogMaxJungadler Mannheim04-27-2006
FWKerbelFelixJungadler Mannheim05-08-2006
FWLewandowskiDavidDüsseldorfer EG02-20-2007
FWMaulNickRed Bull Hockey Akademie04-09-2006
FWOswaldMaximilianEV Landshut03-31-2006
FWPulEliasRed Bull Hockey Akademie05-15-2006
FWSagerClemensEisbären Juniors Berlin02-10-2006
FWSeegerClemensKrefelder EV 8109-17-2006
FWSeidlSimonEV Landshut06-04-2006
FWSchwarzTobiasEV Landshut04-05-2006

Pretty young but very promising roster for Germany.
So far it is missing Dustin Willhöft, who should be on this team in my opinion.

We'll see if any changes will be made before the tournament starts.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Lots of underagers, which you don't see too often in this tournament. Would you consider the German 07s an above average birth year?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Lots of underagers, which you don't see too often in this tournament. Would you consider the German 07s an above average birth year?

So, not sure exactly how good they will turn out, but at this point of their development the 07s are significantly above average for Germany and I would say they blow every birth year except 95 and 02 out of the water (since 95 when I really started following our prospects).

But they have to keep it up. I am very excited how they will look here. It's been a few months since I have seen most of them play.
Up until now 07 looks like a year with both high end talent and considerable depths. For context, in recent years, once I first got to see a new crop, I had maybe 6-8 guys I would consider interesting enough to follow a little closer. With the 07s I had about 20 that soon increased to 25-30.

Maybe it's the contrast to the weak 03s, 04s and 05s, but I am very excited about this group. Hopefully they will justify this with a solid performance at the Hlinka, although as you say, you don't see this many underagers often, and it will be quite the ask of these kids to keep up with teams that are not only usually more skilled but also older. Should be a great experience for the kids, though.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
So, not sure exactly how good they will turn out, but at this point of their development the 07s are significantly above average for Germany and I would say they blow every birth year except 95 and 02 out of the water (since 95 when I really started following our prospects).

But they have to keep it up. I am very excited how they will look here. It's been a few months since I have seen most of them play.
Up until now 07 looks like a year with both high end talent and considerable depths. For context, in recent years, once I first got to see a new crop, I had maybe 6-8 guys I would consider interesting enough to follow a little closer. With the 07s I had about 20 that soon increased to 25-30.

Maybe it's the contrast to the weak 03s, 04s and 05s, but I am very excited about this group. Hopefully they will justify this with a solid performance at the Hlinka, although as you say, you don't see this many underagers often, and it will be quite the ask of these kids to keep up with teams that are not only usually more skilled but also older. Should be a great experience for the kids, though.
The only thing that makes me approach this season with caution in regards to the 07s is that the 03-05 and maybe even 06 groups were really, really bad. So the 07s will automatically look like the next great generation even if they were only slightly above average.

That said, I'm very excited to follow these guys for the next couple of years because I fully agree with you – there are tons of interesting names there.

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
The only thing that makes me approach this season with caution in regards to the 07s is that the 03-05 and maybe even 06 groups were really, really bad. So the 07s will automatically look like the next great generation even if they were only slightly above average.

That said, I'm very excited to follow these guys for the next couple of years because I fully agree with you – there are tons of interesting names there.
Agreed. Aside from the ones currently on the roster and Willhöft who should be there as well, there are also Max Bleicher, Elias Schneider, Nikita Kessler and to a slightly lesser degree Maxim Schäfer or the Kose twins, and that's off the top of my head, without checking my notes.

Will this turn into some spectacular group like the 02s? Who knows, but usually we have 1-3 guys we really have to hope pan out to get at least some decent players down the road. In this case there are so many that I really like the odds of maybe a handful of them turning into NHL level talent or at least high end DEL/European talent that could contribute to the national team for years to come.

And while this is not really the place for it, I am also getting more and more excited about the 08s. There might be some gems there.

Reactions: pgfan66

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
A few 06 names I'm particularly interested to see:

D Max Merkl
Spent most of the past season in third-tier U20, which is glorified U20 beer league. But he also has some pro games, didn't look out of place there, and his coach in Nuremberg raved about him. Very good skater but not a ton of skill for a smaller/average-sized D. Could be anything from Panocha level to "bust".

D Max Hense
Was my favourite 06 going into last season but didn't make the jump to U20 full time. Usually that means he isn't good enough to be a real difference-maker, but I still like the upside with him. I do wonder if he'll stay with Krefeld or maybe finds a better program to develop at a higher level. Now would be the time. On a related note, I'm surprised his Krefeld team mate and frequent D partner Matthias Pape isn't on the roster.

D Rio Kaiser
I really didn't like him when I saw him in Salzburg but now that he was picked in the CHL Import Draft I'm very curious to see if he's actually good enough to play at that level.

F Elias Pul
One of the best players at the U18s for me. Great hustle and energy, quick skating and flashes of skill.

F Tobias Schwarz & Simon Seidl
Just going to group these two together as they both spent the past year obliterating the U17 league with EV Landshut. Generally, the fact they spent the whole year in U17 should indicate they aren't that good. But you don't put up 113 and 111 points in 34 and 33 games, respectively, if you aren't that good. From U17 to Hlinka will be a huge jump but they probably should've got more DNL time last season already.

F Clemens Sager
Watched a couple Berlin games last season to see Panocha and Sager looked quite promising for an 06. Likely not a high-end prospect either but I liked his IQ and he showed flashes of skill.

F Clemens Seeger
Probably not a serious prospect but he's big and skates well, which is always intriguing for a center. Just a guy I'll be keeping an eye on.

A couple players I'm somewhat surprised aren't there (or at least could've seen making it): D Matthias Pape, F Maxi Brunner, F Niko Biggins, F Tim Schütz.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Added jersey numbers to @Maverick41's roster list:

#Pos.NameFirst NameTeam 2023/24DOB (mm-dd-yyyy)
30GKElaginMichailJungadler Mannheim01-08-2006
29GKNeißeLennartKitchener Junior Rangers09-14-2006
24DFFicenecJacobJungadler Mannheim02-20-2006
7DFHändelCarlosMalmö Redhawks03-31-2007
18DFHahnNoahIserlohner EC10-04-2006
8DFHenseMaxKölner EC03-01-2006
17DFKaiserRioEisbären Berlin / Lausitzer Füchse10-07-2006
19DFMerklMaximilianEHC 80 Nürnberg / Nürnberg Ice Tigers06-27-2006
6DFSchamsManuelJungadler Mannheim01-26-2006
21DFSerikowFinnEV Landshut11-16-2006
28FWGrivaGustavsJungadler Mannheim06-08-2007
26FWGrivaRihardsJungadler Mannheim06-08-2007
5FWHerzogMaxJungadler Mannheim04-27-2006
13FWKerbelFelixJungadler Mannheim05-08-2006
12FWLewandowskiDavidDüsseldorfer EG02-20-2007
14FWMaulNickRed Bull Hockey Akademie04-09-2006
22FWOswaldMaximilianEV Landshut03-31-2006
9FWPulEliasRed Bull Hockey Akademie05-15-2006
11FWSagerClemensEisbären Juniors Berlin02-10-2006
20FWSeegerClemensKrefelder EV 8109-17-2006
27FWSeidlSimonEV Landshut06-04-2006
25FWSchwarzTobiasEV Landshut04-05-2006
10FWSpäth MariscalMateuEC Bad Tölz02-20-2007

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
A few 06 names I'm particularly interested to see:

D Max Merkl
Spent most of the past season in third-tier U20, which is glorified U20 beer league. But he also has some pro games, didn't look out of place there, and his coach in Nuremberg raved about him. Very good skater but not a ton of skill for a smaller/average-sized D. Could be anything from Panocha level to "bust".

D Max Hense
Was my favourite 06 going into last season but didn't make the jump to U20 full time. Usually that means he isn't good enough to be a real difference-maker, but I still like the upside with him. I do wonder if he'll stay with Krefeld or maybe finds a better program to develop at a higher level. Now would be the time. On a related note, I'm surprised his Krefeld team mate and frequent D partner Matthias Pape isn't on the roster.

D Rio Kaiser
I really didn't like him when I saw him in Salzburg but now that he was picked in the CHL Import Draft I'm very curious to see if he's actually good enough to play at that level.

F Elias Pul
One of the best players at the U18s for me. Great hustle and energy, quick skating and flashes of skill.

F Tobias Schwarz & Simon Seidl
Just going to group these two together as they both spent the past year obliterating the U17 league with EV Landshut. Generally, the fact they spent the whole year in U17 should indicate they aren't that good. But you don't put up 113 and 111 points in 34 and 33 games, respectively, if you aren't that good. From U17 to Hlinka will be a huge jump but they probably should've got more DNL time last season already.

F Clemens Sager
Watched a couple Berlin games last season to see Panocha and Sager looked quite promising for an 06. Likely not a high-end prospect either but I liked his IQ and he showed flashes of skill.

F Clemens Seeger
Probably not a serious prospect but he's big and skates well, which is always intriguing for a center. Just a guy I'll be keeping an eye on.

A couple players I'm somewhat surprised aren't there (or at least could've seen making it): F Maxi Brunner, F Max Herzog, F Niko Biggins, F Tim Schütz.

Just a couple of quick comments:

• Rio Kaiser: I have heard that he has improved a bit, especially towards the end of the season. Really hop he figures it out. The physical tools are there obviously, but as someone who is also fairly tall, I can telly you coordination can be problem for a long time, in particular when you have a couple of growth spurts in a short amount of time.
  • Max Herzog: His is on the list
  • Maxi Brunner and Tim Schütz I would also have expected them to be there. Who knows maybe some of them will join later. They may just have to work some things out with their teams in Sweden/Canada before they can join the team. I know Händel and Neiße are already there, but it is still 3 weeks until the tournament. So, I would say some changes are likely to be made.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Roster update from yesterday. Nikolas Biggins was added and replaces Mateu Späth.

Still no Dustin Willhöft or Tim Schütz. :(

Last edited:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
So I guess this is our annual “these guys aren’t actually as good as we thought”? I mean, all of us here have come down pretty hard on the 06 group already, but seeing them play at the Hlinka along with the 07s who are also struggling quite a bit…. Not a whole lot to get excited about right now.

Especially defensively they’ve looked really bad. Too slow to defend rushes, too weak to win battles, too little awareness to cover the slot. It’s crazy how easy it is for opponents to set up shots right in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad