Hlinka Memorial - Czech team

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
So who are the top 5 prospects in Czechia currently? Outside of 23 draft

I am only familiar with Jiricek
Tier 1) Galvas, Benák (Jiříček of course)
Tier 2) Badinka, Svozil, Lukáš Král, Ondřej Kos, Drančák, Klíma

And then there are players like Kachlíř or Byrtus, who look very promising, but at the same time they are too young and haven't really achieved anything yet, they haven't even played a single international match..

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Now more seriously, Benak's size REALLY concerns me.
Whenever I saw him, I didn't feel that he was physically weak.. But the transition to men can be different.. On the other hand, his father was an excellent player and he was also small.. But there are definitely ambiguities here.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tier 1) Galvas, Benák (Jiříček of course)
Tier 2) Badinka, Svozil, Lukáš Král, Ondřej Kos, Drančák, Klíma

And then there are players like Kachlíř or Byrtus, who look very promising, but at the same time they are too young and haven't really achieved anything yet, they haven't even played a single international match..
Which tier is Jecho?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If Benák is another Gadreau i am going to be really happy though, not generational, but certainly pretty good center.
I just hope he becomes a first rounder! I'll take as many as we can get. 2 last year, hopefully 2 this year!

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Any glaring omissions? Pavlik?

Lukas Kral maybe, don't really like him personally, but he was productive internationally, so I am surprised he didn't make it, assuming he is healthy and ready to play.

Zero complaints with the goalies and defensemen nominated. Defense in particular is stacked by our standards, and probably could rank among the best even at Hlinka. Fully expecting some classic freak injury to Jiricek/Galvas/Svozil though...

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Lukas Kral maybe, don't really like him personally, but he was productive internationally, so I am surprised he didn't make it, assuming he is healthy and ready to play.

Zero complaints with the goalies and defensemen nominated. Defense in particular is stacked by our standards, and probably could rank among the best even at Hlinka. Fully expecting some classic freak injury to Jiricek/Galvas/Svozil though...
Any idea why Kral wasn't nominated? Seems like everyone here is pretty high on him, at least in the sense that he's a top-6 guy for this team (which he always was last year too).

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Any idea why Kral wasn't nominated? Seems like everyone here is pretty high on him, at least in the sense that he's a top-6 guy for this team (which he always was last year too).
I don't know, probably just deemed not good enough. No mention of any injury and he is on a reserve list for the upcoming games against Switzerland.
I have zero doubt he would make bigger impact than some other nominated players, but I don't see much upside to be honest, so whatever.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I don't know, probably just deemed not good enough. No mention of any injury and he is on a reserve list for the upcoming games against Switzerland.
I have zero doubt he would make bigger impact than some other nominated players, but I don't see much upside to be honest, so whatever.
I definitely didn't see him as a player for the first two rounds of the draft, but he was definitely one of the better forwards in the national team. His absence is a surprise. Of course, as a fan, I don't know the details, it could be a problem player.

Reactions: pgfan66

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I definitely didn't see him as a player for the first two rounds of the draft, but he was definitely one of the better forwards in the national team. His absence is a surprise. Of course, as a fan, I don't know the details, it could be a problem player.
Me neither, I would have him on the squad if it were up to me. But ever since getting burned on Petr Moravec from the 03-born class, I wary of forwards who are somewhat all-around skilled, put up points, but don't necessarily dominate nor posses any actual high-end skill.

Reactions: Goodman68

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Me neither, I would have him on the squad if it were up to me. But ever since getting burned on Petr Moravec from the 03-born class, I wary of forwards who are somewhat all-around skilled, put up points, but don't necessarily dominate nor posses any actual high-end skill.
Along with Szturc, I still think Moravec is one of the best 03s for Czechia despite not being drafted. He had a very decent first year in the WHL and surprisingly went back home to play U20. But I still like him, even if he doesn't project as an NHL player. So for the U18 team, a guy like him or Král is definitely valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad