Hixon Park watch parties

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
Does anyone have any more info that what's posted on the Lightning site?

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86544

They say no coolers, nothing about bringing you own food if you don't want to buy from the food trucks and nothing about bringing your own beverages either. I'm assuming no alcohol since it's a city park but at events like Gasperilla Music Fest they have had alcohol in the park....................

Last edited:

mbd925

May 15, 2015
Does anyone have any more info that what's posted on the Lightning site?

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86544

They say no coolers, nothing about bringing you own food if you don't want toe buy from the food trucks and nothing about bringing your own beverages either. I'm assuming no alcohol since it's a city park but at events like Gasperilla Music Fest they have had alcohol in the park....................

There are going to be beer tents, they were able to get licenses to sell alcohol

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
11406845_10101023336617461_2350380546690777779_n.jpg

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Helluva crowd there last night!

I know Channelside was disappointed, but damn almost 5K for a watch party is an excellent turnout.

Maybe Vinik & Company should run seminars on how to run a southern hockey franchise.

nutznboltz

Aug 17, 2011
I see that it says the watch party starts at 6, but how early can you actually go there and get set up before hand with your chair, so you can stake out a good spot?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Helluva crowd there last night!

I know Channelside was disappointed, but damn almost 5K for a watch party is an excellent turnout.

Maybe Vinik & Company should run seminars on how to run a southern hockey franchise.

Channelside couldn't handle the crowd. I had friends turned away on Saturday due to the Fire Marshal shutting it down after too many people were already inside.

It was insane.

And yup, the bars in my area (south Sarasota) are running PACKED watch parties also.:D:partytime:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

Channelside is still hosting their own parties and I know some folks who went there last night instead of Curtis Hixon. It was much quieter and had easier access to food/drink. I'm thinking of maybe doing that tomorrow night myself. The big watch party crowds are getting a bit much for me.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/news/breaking-news/t...ning-game-4-watch-parties-wednesday-20150609/
Tampa Bay Lightning fans will once again take over Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park on Wednesday to watch their team face off against the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 4 of the best-of-seven series. The free watch party officially kicks off at 6 p.m., about two hours before the puck drops in Chicago’s United Center.

No one was sure what to expect for Monday’s watch party at Curtis Hixon. But despite muggy temperatures and a brief thunderstorm, event organizers estimated at least 5,000 people watched the game on two 9-by-16-foot LED screens, said Kelli Yeloushan, event manager for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
At Wednesday’s watch party, the Lightning are bringing a third screen to the party, as well as DJ Casper and the Spam All-Stars band from Miami.

Fans can bring their own chairs or buy them at the park for $20. Coolers are not permited.

Meanwhile, Ferg’s Live Tampa, at 490 Channelside Drive across the street from Amalie Arena, is still hosting watch parties for home and away games that begin four hours before each game with live bands and DJ’s. Fans can watch the game on numerous 60-inch flat screens, two projection screens and on a giant wall.
If a Game 6 is necessary, it will be Monday in Chicago. The away game watch party could be held at Curtis Hixon or inside the Amalie Arena, where it would be shown on the giant 28-by-50 foot video screens. Officials have yet to decide which venue would be best, Yeloushan said.

Game 7, if necessary, will be June 17 at Amalie Arena.

Earlier away-game watch parties in the series were held at Channelside Bay Plaza, where crowd estimates topped 1,000 and fans were forced to stand to watch the game because of the lack of ground space. Large TV screens in the plaza will still show every Lightning game, Yeloushan said.

“Fans should get there early because every game is more important than the last game and we’re getting crowds earlier and earlier,” she said. “The entire area downtown is activating.”

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I get married on the 16th. Anyone want to donate me game 5 or 7 tickets to start the honey moon!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Before:

635693452340617578-curtis-hixon.jpg

...and after:

Hixon-park-69.jpg

Can't wait to see images of tonight's game...won't be there at the watch party. Love people...hate crowds.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Channelside couldn't handle the crowd. I had friends turned away on Saturday due to the Fire Marshal shutting it down after too many people were already inside.

It was insane.

And yup, the bars in my area (south Sarasota) are running PACKED watch parties also.:D:partytime:

Channelside is still hosting their own parties and I know some folks who went there last night instead of Curtis Hixon. It was much quieter and had easier access to food/drink. I'm thinking of maybe doing that tomorrow night myself. The big watch party crowds are getting a bit much for me.

Yeah I heard they had to close off access DaBolts due to capacity.

It's still a loss of revenue for Channelside because of not as many people. While 1k is nice, I would imagine businesses are drooling over the thought of 5k wondering about spending money. Wonder if that spurs changes at Channelside to incorporate some more open space if possible?

Before:

635693452340617578-curtis-hixon.jpg

...and after:

Hixon-park-69.jpg

Can't wait to see images of tonight's game...won't be there at the watch party. Love people...hate crowds.

Excellent!!

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Yeah, I figured as much. I'm in south Tampa and we've had just over five inches of rain at our house today and the lightning has been more or less nonstop.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Bummer that it's cancelled. Too bad we can't set up an indoor option at Amalie too but that is up to the NHL.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Someone on my Facebook said there's been serious flooding in south Tampa.

All of ST is pretty dreadful when it comes to flooding. Dale Mabry between Henderson and Bay to Bay in particular becomes a flooded car graveyard during heavy rain. I feel bad for my sister on Davis Islands. I swear the damn place is concave.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
All kinds of cars flooded out on Bayshore right now. It's a mess out there. Even out here in West Tampa it's starting to flood out a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad