Hitting?

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Hi,

I am looking for sites on how to hit. I quit hockey before hitting was introduced but now have started playing again and need some tips on how to do it.

Am i right in thinking you should not really be using your arms that much? :dunno:

Any info appeciated.

Ed

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Hi,

I am looking for sites on how to hit. I quit hockey before hitting was introduced but now have started playing again and need some tips on how to do it.

Am i right in thinking you should not really be using your arms that much? :dunno:

Any info appeciated.

Ed

you quit hockey before hitting was introduced??? as far as I know, there's always been hitting in hockey. I guess you must be really old then. ;)

2x4*

Yea dont use your stick, keep your stick on the ice. If you are trying to really get some one, get low, and about 2 feet away from them (this is assuming you are on the boards) and jump into them (keeping your outside foot on the ice). If you get your shoulder on their chest, it should atleast appear painful. Thats not always going to be the case. Usually to hit you just want to take them out of the play, or pin them on the boards. You dont need to kill some one then, as long as the hits get them out of the play.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
plant your feet hard and you can hit anyone. this seriously works. dont keepo your legs moving when you hit someone.

Fenix

Sep 18, 2006
use your shoulder or hip instead of just relying on your arm strength when hitting

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
All about using your legs...want to use your legs to drive into them with with a hip or shoulder check.

Yes, hitting is mostly balance coupled with your core muscles (abs). Don't lead with your arms, it's poor technique and will end up with you in the box.

You need to get under people when you hit. Get low and thrust into them upward with your shoulder. Do this regardless of their size. Alot of tall people who are unfamiliar with hitting mistakenly beleive they can hit by bowling them over. Watch any of the best hitters, they get under the guy.

Lastly, a successful check does not nessessatate killing the guy, just removing them from the puck and taking them out of the play.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yea dont use your stick, keep your stick on the ice. If you are trying to really get some one, get low, and about 2 feet away from them (this is assuming you are on the boards) and jump into them (keeping your outside foot on the ice). If you get your shoulder on their chest, it should atleast appear painful. Thats not always going to be the case. Usually to hit you just want to take them out of the play, or pin them on the boards. You dont need to kill some one then, as long as the hits get them out of the play.

Good tip.

Don't aim at the player, aim "behind" him. Its a boxing tip, don't try to hit someones head, try to hit behind it, so you follow through the entire motion.

Its allot of mental aspects when hitting. If you don't follow through with your legs, the hit often becomes really soft.

Do like Daniel explained, but remember to not try to jump in next to him, try to jump through him!

You will be suprised at how much techniq hitting and balance are. Some tiny guys are just rock solid on their feets, some huge players don't have any balance at all.

Whats important too is to try to take everyhit with your side, and hit people at their front side.

Last edited:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
get your stick up under his chin or in his eyes around the nose as high as u can and push your hands forward...you get a sweet vacation from hockey if you do it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad