Post-Game Talk: Hit em with the 4 like AM34. Leafs lose 4th straight game 7 to Boston: 2-1

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
But how do we play an offensive game on our back end when 1 of them is offensive? Seems like a terrible game plan.

We chose to try to collapse in front of our goalie and block shots, that's all we had.

So how on earth did we score goals during the season with only 1 guy on the back end?

We didn't "have to" play conservative hockey in the playoffs. And the core guys could've produced way more

Colorado has way more depth than us. Lots of teams won the cup 2-1 and 1-0. Tampa was notorious for doing that. St. Louis did that. It happens more often than not that low scoring teams win the cup.

The Avs were the exception, not the rule.

Vegas was 1st in goals per game during the playoffs last year (4 g per game)

Colorado 1st (over 4)

Tampa 2nd (over 3)

Tampa 4th (over 3)

St Louis 6th - I'll give you this one. 2.88 goals

But in today's NHL, you need to score.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
of course Dubas failed, but Lou signing Marleau seeped that lloser mentality into our core players; that's a huge mistake.

Lou allowing hunter to waste draft picks and let Babcock throw a fit about who to draft caused problems too.

this was a collective effort in failing. Wish the leafs had listened to their scouts and traded down for Rantanen instead who they had for extra meetings

Marleau being signed and "Lou allowing Hunter to waste picks" 7 year ago is the most asinine excuse for what has happened over the past 6 years I've ever heard.

Marleau being signed didn't prevent Matthews, Tavares, and Marner from scoring a goal tonight to get through the first round.

You could just as easily blame Dubas signing Marleau's teammate in San Jose, Joe Thornton for all of this failure.

But why would you? Because it sounds literally insane, that's why.

They didn't have it in them. Instead they failed me, failed you, the fanbase, and their team.

The guy that signed them to the contracts they got (Dubas), prevented the current GM from filling the roster out with additional players that may have helped.

Instead what we got was four guys wanting all the money, and failing to live up to their own standards as they set out when they signed those deals.

Nothing to do with Marleau, Lou, or Hunter.

Stop excusing failure.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Swayman vs Samsonov 4-0 sweep by Swayman
Woll vs Samsonov 2-0

Samsonov had one win... against Ullmark.

Look at the tale of the 2 goaltenders playing behind the same team:

Game 1 really skewed the stats when that was his worst game by far. Game 2 he let in a late 2nd period goal, but played very well otherwise to allow the Leafs to comeback and win that game. Game 3 he was OK. Game 4 pretty bad. Game 7 good, but not good enough.

Could he have done better? Sure. But either of Woll or Samsonov was going to have to be near perfect with this Leafs pop-gun offense. Put him on the Oilers with their offensive support and its a sweep or the same 5 game series win result against the Kings.

On the otherhand even if you had Shesterkin playing for the Leafs I'm not convinced that we win this series with this historically bad offense that can't score goals worth a damn despite being paid so much to do just that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So far there is only ONE shutout in the playoffs and it happened last night.

That's not true.

Both Edmonton and Vancouver had 1-0 wins in their series. Edmonton had it while being outshot by 20.

Game 1 really skewed the stats when that was his worst game by far. Game 2 he let in a late 2nd period goal, but played very well otherwise to allow the Leafs to comeback and win that game. Game 3 he was OK. Game 4 pretty bad. Game 7 good, but not good enough.

Could he have done better? Sure. But either of Woll or Samsonov was going to have to be near perfect with this Leafs pop-gun offense. Put him on the Oilers with their offensive support and its a sweep or the same 5 game series win result against the Kings.

On the otherhand even if you had Shesterkin playing for the Leafs I'm not convinced that we win this series with this historically bad offense that can't score goals worth a damn despite being paid so much to do just that.

If Game 1 is so bad that you feel it skews the stats of a series he played 5 games, he shouldn't have started another game that series.

Georgiev had an all-time bad Game 1 and still finished with a higher save percentage and GAA than Samsonov... what does that say about Samsonov?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So how on earth did we score goals during the season with only 1 guy on the back end?

We didn't "have to" play conservative hockey in the playoffs. And the core guys could've produced way more

Vegas was 1st in goals per game during the playoffs last year (4 g per game)

Colorado 1st (over 4)

Tampa 2nd (over 3)

Tampa 4th (over 3)

St Louis 6th - I'll give you this one. 2.88 goals

But in today's NHL, you need to score.
Much of this starts with a guy that can shoot the puck up top... When was the last time the Leafs had a dynamic presence the blueline for the PP?

Bouchard, McAvoy, Montour, Burns and then guys that may not have boomers but have loads of deception and can get a puck through, Makar , Hughes, Fox, Heiskanen. Leafs just don't have it ..

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's not true.

Both Edmonton and Vancouver had 1-0 wins in their series. Edmonton had it while being outshot by 20.
So two shutouts in the first round in like 43 games. Heck I will even consider Woll having one. That’s like 3 in 43 games.

The percentage of shutout by goalies/teams is slightly higher than our PP percentage.

Just can’t expect to win 1-0 and have the goalie bail the team out for not scoring.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't know how or why, but we were a better team without Matthews than we were with him. If it wasn't darn near impossible to get a true #1 centre, I'd move him for a #1 defenseman.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Marleau being signed and "Lou allowing Hunter to waste picks" 7 year ago is the most asinine excuse for what has happened over the past 6 years I've ever heard.

Marleau being signed didn't prevent Matthews, Tavares, and Marner from scoring a goal tonight to get through the first round.

You could just as easily blame Dubas signing Marleau's teammate in San Jose, Joe Thornton for all of this failure.

They didn't have it in them. Instead they failed me, failed you, the fanbase, and their team.

The guy that signed them to the contracts they got (Dubas), prevented the current GM from filling the roster out with additional players that may have helped.

Instead what we got was four guys wanting all the money, and failing to live up to their own standards as they set out when they signed those deals.

Stop excusing failure.
lol youre going to let other people who sucked off the hook because you hate one guy who sucked more. thats really weird.

Lou Lamiorello was not a good gm here i'm sorry to burst your bubble.

Maybe if we draft better in later rounds and bottom half of the first or second round from 2015 to 2018 we have depth on better contracts and more assets and we win earlier but Mark Hunter's drafting prowess f***ed that up. Then Dubas did the same while trading firsts for nick folignos.

Reactions: ruaware41

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So two shutouts in the first round in like 43 games. Heck I will even consider Woll having one. That’s like 3 in 43 games.

The percentage of shutout by goalies/teams is slightly higher than our PP percentage.

Just can’t expect to win 1-0 and have the goalie bail the team out for not scoring.

The Leafs didn't get shutout either. It didn't have to be a 1-0 win - it could have been 2-1.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
The thing is, if AM, MM, JT all produce like they do in the regular season, Leafs would had won more than ONE round. Guys that get paid the big money, always tend to produce more in the playoffs but our guys can’t even maintain their regular season level. That’s a huge problem for the Leafs.
we can go on and on about allocation of cap, which I agree but as i said if our top guys just scored at their regular season rate, they might had even won a Cup or two already.
life serves poetic justice in weird ways. it’s hard for a team to succeed in the post season built around their best player being so heavily biased towards being a goal scorer. good dmen for example help give forwards confidence and help the offender even without getting points. we can’t do that with riellys muffins from the point on the pp. we also had 0 high end wingers (before domi and knies impressed) heading into the post season. no tj oshie quality winger.

you really think they win today if they pot 4? samsonov crumbled as soon as they got the lead and let in a complete muffin. why would that not happen every time they got the lead this game

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Battled hard but just not good enough
Offensively you would struggle to watch a more inept team

Enough is enough, get rid of the entire coaching staff, Shanahan and plenty of people in the front office then start on the people in scouting and development

I've had enough of our inability to draft and develop defenseman and centers

We need an overhaul top to bottom
Didn;t we just get Wes Clark on board who seems to have nailed the Easton Cowan pick? development staff and other scouts i agree we need better

Reactions: Kiwi

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Last time I checked, Andersen is still winning playoff games for the Hurricanes.

They're into the 2nd round.

Dubas let him go for nothing, thinking he was cooked incorrectly.

Yet another blunder he made for the team,

In fact, has he ever made a good goalie movie that helped a team go further?

Nope.

Jarry for a 5 year deal is his latest decison on his own team and they missed the playoffs and will likely have to eat that one or shuffle him somewhere else.
Andersen has played pretty well, but he's also had pretty good offensive support. In every game but one the Canes have scored more than 3 goals compared to the Leafs where ONLY ONCE were they able to score 3 goals in the entire series. If the Leafs were playing the Isles instead of the Bruins we'd be struggling to win that series too with this crappy ass offense.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Leafs didn't get shutout either. It didn't have to be a 1-0 win - it could have been 2-1.
Then they need to score 2 goals which is one more than what they scored tonight.
Like I said, both things can be true at the same time, Leafs need their top guys to score and better goaltending.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

Stop excusing failure.
marleau is the reason mm and matthews were the way they were. far bigger locker room cancer than marner

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Then they need to score 2 goals which is one more than what they scored tonight.
Like I said, both things can be true at the same time, Leafs need their top guys to score and better goaltending.

If Samsonov makes as many saves as Swayman, maybe they do.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
lol youre going to let other people who sucked off the hook because you hate one guy who sucked more. thats really weird.

Lou Lamiorello was not a good gm here i'm sorry to burst your bubble.

Maybe if we draft better in later rounds and bottom half of the first or second round from 2015 to 2018 we have depth on better contracts and more assets and we win earlier but Mark Hunter's drafting prowess f***ed that up. Then Dubas did the same while trading firsts for nick folignos.

So the guys who went from last to playoffs "sucked".

But the guy who took us from playoffs to one round win is the same?

If you took calculus in upper high school or university level you'd know it's a study of rate of change.

One guy took us very high.

One guy stagnated.

But they both just "suck".

That's your measure.

"Suck"

Great analysis, very scholarly.

Did you also go to the Brock School of Sports Management?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
life serves poetic justice in weird ways. it’s hard for a team to succeed in the post season built around their best player being so heavily biased towards being a goal scorer. good dmen for example help give forwards confidence and help the offender even without getting points. we can’t do that with riellys muffins from the point on the pp. we also had 0 high end wingers (before domi and knies impressed) heading into the post season. no tj oshie quality winger.

you really think they win today if they pot 4? samsonov crumbled as soon as they got the lead and let in a complete muffin. why would that not happen every time they got the lead this game
Are you really suggesting the Leafs would had lost even if they scored 4 goals today?
Like if Willie scored the pass from Knies, then the JT pass where he was in front of the net all by himself, then JT managed to tip the puck on PP(I think), that’s 4 goals along with the one Willie scored.
The game might not be 4-1 but doubt Leafs would had lost.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
marleau is the reason mm and matthews were the way they were. far bigger locker room cancer than marner

Marleau is the reason Matthews and Marner didn't score a goal tonight.

Wow,

If they're such mental midgets and easily influenced by this boogie man they call Patrick Marleau then why did Dubas sign them for so much money?

Nothing about this really makes sense, or adds up.

Are you sure you've really thought this through?

Or aren't having paranoid thoughts?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Samsonov makes as many saves as Swayman, maybe they do.
I think we should end this discussion as you just seem to want to vent your disappointment rather than having a healthy discussions.
We are all Leafsnation.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
So the guys who went from last to playoffs "sucked".

But the guy who took us from playoffs to one round win is the same?

If you took calculus in upper high school or university level you'd know it's a study of rate of change.

One guy took us very high.

One guy stagnated.

But they both just "suck".

That's your measure.

"Suck"

Great analysis, very scholarly.

Did you also go to the Brock School of Sports Management?
lol he added andersen who could make saves and let in back breakers in the playoffs. Marner, Matthews, Nylander, brown, Kapanen all being good as rookies to augment Bozak, JvR, Kadri is what took this team into barely a playoff spot in 2017.

youre giving a guy with some moves and largely organic growth so much credit just to say another guy sucked more. Ok here have it your way one guy sucked the other guy sucked harder.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If Game 1 is so bad that you feel it skews the stats of a series he played 5 games, he shouldn't have started another game that series.

Georgiev had an all-time bad Game 1 and still finished with a higher save percentage and GAA than Samsonov... what does that say about Samsonov?
Jets also had a hard time scoring in their series outside of game 1. Maybe that's partly Georgiev playing well and/or partly the Jets offense looking as feeble as the Leafs offense. Either way Georgiev also had plenty of run support to help him out and Samsonov didn't.

I wouldn't bring back Sammy next season, but the number one reason the Leafs lost this series was their complete inability to score and it ain't even close.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think we should end this discussion as you just seem to want to vent your disappointment rather than having a healthy discussions.
We are all Leafsnation.

You're arguing they only scored 1 goal but refusing to acknowledge the game wouldn't be over if Samsonov didn't allow a soft goal.

The Leafs won 2-1 in OT in Woll in net because he made saves in OT until the Leafs got a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad